Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

If you didn't need any more indicators this recent influx of enthusiasts has fried the scene and crypto is now absolutely flooded with "celebrity" influence Instagram levels of popularity..

He has literally not edited out the part of the e-mail that is the shill. 

Dont miss out 🤑🤑🤑🔥🔥🔥🚀🚀🚀

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/05/2021 at 21:48, Stormzy said:

If you didn't need any more indicators this recent influx of enthusiasts has fried the scene and crypto is now absolutely flooded with "celebrity" influence Instagram levels of popularity..

Where money goes scam artists will follow. Lot of accusations flying around Twitter recently claiming that guys with a high profile within the crypto community have been ‘shilling’ dud alt-coins to their followers, selling it as the next best thing whilst profiting from the upturn in liquidity and getting out before the price crashes. 

Guy called ‘Wolf of All Streets’ on Twitter got found out badly, as someone put a bit of effort into investigating the timings of his posts and matching them up with his buys and sells. He’s still claiming innocence but the evidence against him is indefensible. I’m sure he’s not the only one. 

Im pretty new to the crypto scene but I’ve traded on Betfair for the past 10 years or so, and one thing that I’ve learned from that community is to trust absolutely nobody that offers you advice on how to make money. I get emails daily from people telling me about a new strategy with a 90% strike rate or trying to sell me software that guarantees profit, and I can be certain in saying that every one of those emails for the past however many years have been nothing more than a scam. When I was 18/19 and just starting to trade on Betfair some of these emails would pull me in, but after a couple of times getting scammed myself I learnt the hard way that if someone has a ‘guaranteed to make money’ strategy, the last thing they are going to do is let everyone and their granny know about it. 

24 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Where money goes scam artists will follow. Lot of accusations flying around Twitter recently claiming that guys with a high profile within the crypto community have been ‘shilling’ dud alt-coins to their followers, selling it as the next best thing whilst profiting from the upturn in liquidity and getting out before the price crashes. 

Guy called ‘Wolf of All Streets’ on Twitter got found out badly, as someone put a bit of effort into investigating the timings of his posts and matching them up with his buys and sells. He’s still claiming innocence but the evidence against him is indefensible. I’m sure he’s not the only one. 

Im pretty new to the crypto scene but I’ve traded on Betfair for the past 10 years or so, and one thing that I’ve learned from that community is to trust absolutely nobody that offers you advice on how to make money. I get emails daily from people telling me about a new strategy with a 90% strike rate or trying to sell me software that guarantees profit, and I can be certain in saying that every one of those emails for the past however many years have been nothing more than a scam. When I was 18/19 and just starting to trade on Betfair some of these emails would pull me in, but after a couple of times getting scammed myself I learnt the hard way that if someone has a ‘guaranteed to make money’ strategy, the last thing they are going to do is let everyone and their granny know about it. 

Spot on. 

I fully agree. When I started following cryptotwitter 3 or 4 years back I followed him, Scott Melker i think, he was always really sound and interacted with me a few times. It's sad to see him doing such shill tactics but as you say you can't really trust any of them, he's definitely not the only one, I've followed most of the main accounts for a long time and probably 75% of them are at it. 

I quite enjoyed the XCAD drama with the Youtubers diving into the shill game. 

3 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Spot on. 

I fully agree. When I started following cryptotwitter 3 or 4 years back I followed him, Scott Melker i think, he was always really sound and interacted with me a few times. It's sad to see him doing such shill tactics but as you say you can't really trust any of them, he's definitely not the only one, I've followed most of the main accounts for a long time and probably 75% of them are at it. 

I quite enjoyed the XCAD drama with the Youtubers diving into the shill game. 

Aye that’s the fellow. I’m sure he’s a very knowledgeable and successful trader, and at one stage his advice to his followers was legitimate. But like most people when money is involved, he has seen an opportunity to make more whilst leaving the other 99% holding a worthless coin, wether that was off his own back or a third party offering him cash to convince his large social media following. I don’t think he will be able to do it in the future now that he’s been found to be a fraud and a liar. 

Haven’t heard of the XCAD/YouTubers drama, will go have a look. 

32 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Aye that’s the fellow. I’m sure he’s a very knowledgeable and successful trader, and at one stage his advice to his followers was legitimate. But like most people when money is involved, he has seen an opportunity to make more whilst leaving the other 99% holding a worthless coin, wether that was off his own back or a third party offering him cash to convince his large social media following. I don’t think he will be able to do it in the future now that he’s been found to be a fraud and a liar. 

Haven’t heard of the XCAD/YouTubers drama, will go have a look. 

Yeah that's definitely true. 

It's a token that's linked to watching Youtubers. Obviously all these popular YTrs that have recently been tweeting about crypto gains to all their fans and then announced this project have suckered them in. As most new listings go you see a quick pump and dump and all these "influencers" had obviously bought tokens at 0.10p before the launch that was priced at £10...  😂 cue the price dropping to about £2 within 5 minutes of listing. Was fascinating to watch. This happens aw the time but I just found it so much more immoral from the young youtubers as their fanbase is mostly made up by the young impressionable folk. 

15 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Yeah that's definitely true. 

It's a token that's linked to watching Youtubers. Obviously all these popular YTrs that have recently been tweeting about crypto gains to all their fans and then announced this project have suckered them in. As most new listings go you see a quick pump and dump and all these "influencers" had obviously bought tokens at 0.10p before the launch that was priced at £10...  😂 cue the price dropping to about £2 within 5 minutes of listing. Was fascinating to watch. This happens aw the time but I just found it so much more immoral from the young youtubers as their fanbase is mostly made up by the young impressionable folk. 

Say what you like about these YouTubers, but they don’t miss a trick when it comes to making money. 

As much as I would sit here and say I wouldn’t do anything like that, I’ve never been in a position that would allow me to. If a similar situation was ever presented to me where I stood to make upwards of 7 figures, but at the same time had to scam my followers on social media, I would most likely be dealing with the consequences from my 5 bedroom house in the country. 

30 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Say what you like about these YouTubers, but they don’t miss a trick when it comes to making money. 

As much as I would sit here and say I wouldn’t do anything like that, I’ve never been in a position that would allow me to. If a similar situation was ever presented to me where I stood to make upwards of 7 figures, but at the same time had to scam my followers on social media, I would most likely be dealing with the consequences from my 5 bedroom house in the country. 

3 strikes in a row. I fully agree, again.

I'm the same age as the Sidemen guys and I pretty much grew up the exact same pissing about on games, fannying around with a camera doing homeade jackass videos and stuff but they practically did the same and monetized it to the point they're all now multi millionaires. Before the whole YT "adpocolypse" Yotubers were raking in so much money it was frightening. 

30 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

3 strikes in a row. I fully agree, again.

I'm the same age as the Sidemen guys and I pretty much grew up the exact same pissing about on games, fannying around with a camera doing homeade jackass videos and stuff but they practically did the same and monetized it to the point they're all now multi millionaires. Before the whole YT "adpocolypse" Yotubers were raking in so much money it was frightening. 

I just googled their ages and I’m 3 or 4 years older than them. Fair play to them though, their videos get views into the millions and if YouTube are profiting from the adverts they should be getting their fair cut for providing the content aswell. It’s a genuine business now for these guys.

I take it you’ve heard of the American guys ‘Dude Perfect’ :lol: They are like the Sidemen on steroids and are similarly all multi millionaires through videoing themselves doing things like throwing paper aeroplanes off high buildings. 

I spend far too much time on YouTube, but there is so much you can learn from it that 10-15 years ago you wouldn’t have been able to. Even when learning about the basics of crypto, my first stop was to have a look on YT and see if I could find any videos, and within about 10 minutes I’m hearing about stuff I was completely unaware of before watching. I kid on to my friends that it’s a free university as I talk about YouTube videos so often, but I actually think there is some truth in it. There has never been a time in the history of this planet where humans have as much access to information as we do today. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

• 3 weeks later...

Where does everyone have their crypto? I'm a totally newbie and shopping about. I heard there's been a lot of pain lately an this is probably the time to buy. I do think the price right now of bitcoin, even xrp, I didnt think I would ever see it so low(My friend was on and on about xrp for ages, then that's all I heard after it rocketed up well over a dollar, he's gone a bit quiet now mind you). Im investing a little and see what happens. I came across this flyer(attached), downloaded it, entered the code and fair enough I got £10 bitcoin instantly. Nice wee app, and it says you get 5% interest, so considering using it to buy some more. Is luno safe enough? Or what would you recommend. The only thing im a little paranoid about luno is how easy it is to login, just your finger print. I know bank etc are the same but if your bitcoin goes missing theres no getting it back. I've saw etoro but think fees are an issue?

BPDBALMER.jpg

Binance isn't banned in Britain. Lazy reporting.

Binance Markets bought a company in the UK to set up Binace UK, thinking that could piggy back that companies existing regulation approval.

The recent announcement was that company being told "no".

It doesn't impact Binance global, such is the one we all use, Binance UK isn't even live yet.

The issue is around futures sales, not crypto. Selling futures to retail was banned in January.

I'm still using binance absolutely fine and still using futures on Binance.com because that's registered in the Caymans not the UK.

They were hoping to sell futures through Binance UK and the regulated company they bought. That is what the FCA have said no to.

As usual, reporters don't understand crypto so scare everyone into thinking Binace is "banned".

Eh, Bullshit reporting. [emoji846]

• 2 weeks later...

I've been slowly accumulating the last few weeks, I know it's probably utterly mental but I much prefer the quieter times to ponder over my portfolio compared to the ultra bull times when Elon and co control the market by tweeting memes... The fact all the people I know IRL that ploughed all their money into $DOGE , safemoon and that stupid ass shib coin have went quiet is a good sign for me. I think we might go sideways for a good number of months here which would suit me tbh. I think I had my most successful trading season in the last year just due to the fact I took a lot of profit near the top. Emotional detachment has done me wonders.