Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

@iron mike python

You ever checked out THORChain? It appears to be the first and only cross-chain DEX without third parties or wrapping etc. It only just went live the other day, but once they open up pool limits after stability is confirmed I find myself wondering why there would be a need for anything else.

I want to do a deep dive on this as they'll soon be adding Haven to their ecosystem, which will be adding all sorts of DeFi features later (ThorFi).

2 hours ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

Rubic is a cross chain dex also. Been around about 6 months or so. 

I'm not familiar with that one, but the difference seems to be that Thor enables direct layer 1 cross-chain swaps, like BTC for ETH, rather than wrapped tokens on other chains. Their marketing claims it's a first anyway, I'm just starting to read into it.

This thread is all gibberish to me.  For a laugh I downloaded Binance and stuck $30 into dogecoin after Elon Musk's tweet.  Left it at that and woke up the other day to $220.  Swapped 75% into Ripple, BitTorrent and Chiliz.  I have no idea what all this shit is but it's clearly free money. 

Edited by the aggressive beggar

Just checked my $VET bag and it's looking very healthy, up 50% on a 7 day. Meanwhile Doge is up over 300% over 7 days, I had a tiny bag and sold 2 weeks ago and used my Doge for more Vet! Not the best timing. 😂

My portfolio today -

holygrail.gif.3ec00ccffdbd9a718d1ed486448bd9c9.gif

Doge looks like the only green coin in the top 100 today. Madness. I would've picked up some bargains if I'd been awake when it all flash crashed but sadly most had regained a lot by the time I got up today.

I decided long ago DOGE wasn't for me. Playing with fire. [emoji846]

Taken a bit of a hit today, but still 2x over,9 weeks which I'd have been delighted with when I started.

Next question is was this the big BTC correction before things finish after the retrace, or just another correction. It's off trend now, for me, so could easily be the former.

Exit plans at the ready.

Hi guys, have you seen Dogecoin go up in price? It seems like it's time to use all mining methods, right? My friend and I bought a small mining farm and also decided to focus our efforts on mining bitcoin. However, we faced a problem, we decided to calculate how profitable it is for us to mine, and realized that we were going into the red. Maybe someone knows how you can earning bitcoin in an alternative way or increase the hash rate there. I heard it seems that you can somehow put another BIOS for the video card and then the video card will bring more, but I don't know much about this topic. And so we hope that soon we will be able to mine bitcoin again, because the price of the coin is only going up.

Edited by Xgemone

I’m a newbie looking into this and one of the things I have read is don’t leave your investments on the exchange (binance) put it into a separate encrypted wallet. I assume when it is being held in the wallet it still fluctuates
In line with binance? Have I got this right ? Is there additional costs for a wallet ?

1 hour ago, Kneal Down Caster said:

I’m a newbie looking into this and one of the things I have read is don’t leave your investments on the exchange (binance) put it into a separate encrypted wallet. I assume when it is being held in the wallet it still fluctuates
In line with binance? Have I got this right ? Is there additional costs for a wallet ?

The benefit of moving your coins into your own wallet is that you alone have control over your keys and therefore your money. As a large established exchange Binance should be safe, but exchanges are hacked often. It also means you always have access to move your coins from the wallet, unlike when exchanges go offline which isn't uncommon is very busy times.

The price will be the same wherever the coins are accessed from, and there are no other costs with wallets other than normal fees to move coins to your own address from the exchange.

The benefit of moving your coins into your own wallet is that you alone have control over your keys and therefore your money. As a large established exchange Binance should be safe, but exchanges are hacked often. It also means you always have access to move your coins from the wallet, unlike when exchanges go offline which isn't uncommon is very busy times.
The price will be the same wherever the coins are accessed from, and there are no other costs with wallets other than normal fees to move coins to your own address from the exchange.

Cheers. Thanks for your response.

On 21/04/2021 at 19:25, Kneal Down Caster said:

Can anyone recommend a dedicated crypto forum to get me up to speed with everything?

YouTube. There’s some very knowledgeable people out there making videos (and helpful graphics) that try and explain and help give an understanding. To be honest, it’s scary just how vast this subject is, and seems to be ever expanding day by day. I think I have a grasp of how it all works at a very (very) basic level, but every time I read something or watch a video on it, it throws up another 5 or 6 things that I still need to learn about. It’s very exciting though, and feels like living through the beginnings of a major technology that will almost certainly change how the world works. 

I was reading Warren Buffets biography recently and the early days of the internet are spoken about frequently, how it was rejected by many of his friends who thought it was just another fad, compared with the guys who got on board early investing in tech companies and became multimillionaires in the process. Because I wasn’t alive during those times I’m relating a lot of what he says about the internet to crypto/blockchain technology. One thing that has stuck with me was a quote from Buffet along the lines of ‘where is AOL in 2021? Where are these companies who adopted the technology in its infancy, quickly became the biggest and best, before fizzling away to nothing as the technology advanced. Im not saying that this is something that will definitely happen with the current cryptocurrencies, as to be honest I don’t have a deep enough knowledge of it, but with the little I do know I think it’s more than possible that there will be something that comes along eventually that’s bigger, better and more accessible than what we have now. 

On 17/04/2021 at 09:34, Zetterlund said:

@iron mike python

You ever checked out THORChain? It appears to be the first and only cross-chain DEX without third parties or wrapping etc. It only just went live the other day, but once they open up pool limits after stability is confirmed I find myself wondering why there would be a need for anything else.

I want to do a deep dive on this as they'll soon be adding Haven to their ecosystem, which will be adding all sorts of DeFi features later (ThorFi).

Sorry, I didn't reply sooner. I saw many people talking about it for months and it seems like a serious project. Shapeshift is going to use THORchain which is a great seal of approval because Eric Voorhees has a great history of focussing on decentralisation. Downsides are usually referring to its gimmicky UX but that is usually overcome. 

It has its own token called RUNE. I think something like THORchain taking off is essential for something like HAVEN to get more popular. 

This thread is pretty useful. I am reading different opinions of different people that invest in cryptocurrencies and I have learned a lot of new things. Most of all I like how many people speak about the new Chinese cryptocurrency. I totally agree with you and I also think that n the near future it will be very strong. I like that this country that is pretty conservative, has a plan to transform their own cryptocurrency into a national currency, so it will become the main paying method. China is the first country that how many benefits cryptocurrency can give.

Edited by KatherineMackenzie

13 hours ago, iron mike python said:

Sorry, I didn't reply sooner. I saw many people talking about it for months and it seems like a serious project. Shapeshift is going to use THORchain which is a great seal of approval because Eric Voorhees has a great history of focussing on decentralisation. Downsides are usually referring to its gimmicky UX but that is usually overcome. 

It has its own token called RUNE. I think something like THORchain taking off is essential for something like HAVEN to get more popular. 

I ended up FOMOing into RUNE on the dip the other day as I like the look of this long term. It should also be great for Haven, giving those with big BTC and other crypto gains a platform to flip into their private ecosystem . Erik Voorhees has been posting about the THORChain/XHV combo which has no doubt contributed to the recent price action.

What’s everyone making of the latest prices then? My stocks are looking very good and I’m tempted to invest more but don’t know if I’ve missed the boat? Ethereum doing very well. Is the bubble going to burst?

The Dogecoin nonsense is unbelievable and something which will be written about for years to come. The wreckage is going to be immense when this finally pops. Good chance they will manage to pump this to $1 ($130 billion marketcap :lol: ) but after that there could be a vertical drop back to pretty much any number.

The biggest gains recently have probably been made by newbie investors buying meme coins for banter.