Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

1 hour ago, KD1711 said:

There is another ponzi scheme going around called AMMDefi that is offering users 2% per day interest and also giving them referral bonuses, they are doing a bonus at the moment where they double your deposit but you can't withdraw for 3 days. This will be the next big scandal I'm sure.

76042.7% apr

that’s so obviously nonsense  that it arguably isn’t even a fraud 

5 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I think I might have inadvertently strayed onto the wrong thread. 

Between that and the utter guff on the TOTP 1985 Christmas Special, I'm beginning to lose the will to live. 

The Pet Shop Boys have just come on to save the day. 

1 hour ago, KD1711 said:

There is another ponzi scheme going around called AMMDefi that is offering users 2% per day interest and also giving them referral bonuses, they are doing a bonus at the moment where they double your deposit but you can't withdraw for 3 days. This will be the next big scandal I'm sure.

How can you possibly lose!

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

0753AD0E-3E24-402A-9F06-7C8288AF39E2.thumb.png.e644f07a36d54f674462eb7af8b944d1.png

Wang and Caroline Ellison have flipped, plead guilty and are co-operating with the FBI. 

Life in prison coming right up!

Ellison’s Wiki page already changed to describe her as a ‘felon’.  That’s quick work.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

0753AD0E-3E24-402A-9F06-7C8288AF39E2.thumb.png.e644f07a36d54f674462eb7af8b944d1.png

Wang and Caroline Ellison have flipped, plead guilty and are co-operating with the FBI. 

Life in prison coming right up!

Getting in first with a guilty plea is definitely worth it in the US. Watched a doc last night about Alan Stanford who ripped off mainly small investors for $8 billion. He was briefly famous for organizing a $20 million winner takes all game of 20-20 cricket in Antigua. His chief financial officer who was with him from the start, and looked after all the false accounting, fessed up first and got 5 years, Stanford got 110 years. 

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

Is he actually going to be liable for the money he stole that people deposited in the Bahamas?

It seems a bit like playing three card monte on the street in Barcelona then claiming you got cheated. 

Bit unusual for you to be doing the ..." Nothing to see here, move along now..." bit

when it comes to capitalists doing what capitalists do.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite the loss, I see this as getting out of jail for the seller still managing to get over $3m for it in the current market.

I wouldn't be surprised if he actually does see it as making a profit, since these crypto maximalist types live in their own world where the $ price is irrelevant.

On 09/11/2013 at 02:32, RCR said:

I wish! It was about a year and a half ago, so I think I have between 1 and 3 bitcoins. I paid about $20, so anything over that would be a bonus.

For anyone that's interested in investing, I bought mine on Mt Gox, which is the biggest trading platform for them on the internet. You have a bitcoin wallet, which is encrypted, and takes literally about 12 hours to load, even on a fast connection. If you want to pay someone with bitcoin I think it's done with a string of numbers and letters. There are plenty of legit websites that will take it as payment too.

The last time bitcoin rose this much in value it was followed by a massive crash. Anyone wanting to invest would be wise to wait for the crash.

So in 2011 you paid $20 for 1 bitcoin and you might have three of them.

Didn't the price of one bitcoin end up at one point being like $60,000

Doesn't look like he sold at the best time..

On 16/02/2014 at 13:21, RCR said:

Bitcoin isn't a company, so it can't join anyone. Google could start accepting it though if that's what you mean?

Right now Mt. Gox is having major problems and the price everywhere is nose diving. I sold everything I had a month back when I needed my car's air con fixed and made about 30% profit after 2 months of trading. At current prices it's tempting to jump back in, though I'd like to see Mt Gox either come back or disappear before committing to anything!

On 02/01/2023 at 10:40, PossilYM said:

So in 2011 you paid $20 for 1 bitcoin and you might have three of them.

Didn't the price of one bitcoin end up at one point being like $60,000

I had 3.5 million Dogecoin which I held for 3 years and sold for around 600 quid circa 2016/17. At one point during lockdown that would have been worth around £1.7 million.

3 hours ago, Al B said:

I had 3.5 million Dogecoin which I held for 3 years and sold for around 600 quid circa 2016/17. At one point during lockdown that would have been worth around £1.7 million.

Learned any lessons from all this ?

4 hours ago, Al B said:

Just be happy you got something back. That poor Welsh guy is still trying to dig up a massive rubbish pile searching for his missing millions. 

4 hours ago, Al B said:

I got left a 1000 Royal Bank shares in 2006.

Cashed them in right away because i was skint.

Got between 5K and 6K for them.

Two years later they were worth 22p each.

1 hour ago, beefybake said:

Learned any lessons from all this ?

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

Just be happy you got something back. That poor Welsh guy is still trying to dig up a massive rubbish pile searching for his missing millions. 

Apart from being reminded about it there when I looked at this thread, I honestly never even think about it. Doesn't cross my mind as there's no possible scenario where I'd still have been in the game at that point. For something that originally cost me about 50 quid I reckon the longest I'd have had the balls to keep going would have been about 5 grand, and I'd have bailed there.

28 minutes ago, Al B said:

Apart from being reminded about it there when I looked at this thread, I honestly never even think about it. Doesn't cross my mind as there's no possible scenario where I'd still have been in the game at that point. For something that originally cost me about 50 quid I reckon the longest I'd have had the balls to keep going would have been about 5 grand, and I'd have bailed there.

Best way of looking at it.