Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

That is like soooh 2 hours ago...

51 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

From the administrator of FTX, the Crypto Blair Nimmo if you will.

129AB41D-3BAB-486A-93FB-E79DABA5C5E5.png

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

From the guy appointed as administrator of FTX or whatever the American term is. 

Anyone loosely following this topic (and ignoring the on thread attention seekers), Cold Fusion has a break down on what we know about FTX so far. Its a pretty wild ride. Like a lot of these scandals and disasters: Long Term Capital Management, Enron, WorldCom, dot com bust, housing collapse; Once rip the roof off and you see the underlying financial wiring of the company or system, the failure is easily explainable. The success of these schemes in pulling in investors is largely down to how they hide that, sometimes with criminal intent but often out of the hubristic beliefs they have invented a whole new way of making risk free money that the "normies" and regulators would simply not understand. Pay attention to the personal links to regulators and politically connected people: 

And another one bites the dust

https://www.ft.com/content/434df7f2-f6a9-41d7-92f0-18afab6c1cff

Life comes at you fast in crypto, as customers of FTX have discovered this month. It now looks like the latest frostbitten victim of the crypto winter is Genesis — basically the Goldman Sachs of magic beans. From Bloomberg overnight: Digital-asset brokerage Genesis is struggling to raise fresh cash for its lending unit, and it’s warning potential investors that it may need to file for bankruptcy if its efforts fail, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

"the Goldman Sachs of magic beans" is P&B level Snark

Did any of you get involved during the pandemic etc? I had a grand on XRP back in the day that I cashed for an x2 (talking back in 2017) then that bull run there I put a few k in and at one point was at £250,000, but that crashed 80% in May 2021. Ended up lifting out a decent bit out and just accepted it wasn't going back on.

One potentially amusing fallout is FTX obviously won't keep up their corporate sponsorships. They've had the naming rights to the Miami Heat's arena for the past season and a half. After American Airlines' deal had ended, Bangbros had put in a fairly serious bid for it -$10m over 2 years IIRC. Scenes if they go back in (parp!) and nobody else does. Does Micky Arison just take the monetary hit and go without a sponsor? Could have benefits both ways, if you wanted to grade girls' bums then they're going nowhere if they don't out-thicc Kyle Lowry. 

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Analysis of a call with SBF by Coffeezilla.

He claims that he secretly donated as much to the Republicans as he did to Democrats.

The guy is an inverterate liar so who knows.

US businesses/corporations donating to both sides is something I read years ago was not at all uncommon.

Capitalism in the raw.

Musk playing the eco-idealist, save the planet type but settle on Mars just in case, to save humanity, and swinging to a 4chan trigger the libs teenager is quite the thing. It's all about the $$$$$$$$, and ego, especially with Musk. He might have blown the dollar part with Twitter though, that looks like pure ego and megalomania. It's a shame, I've been enjoying his SpaceX endeavours. I realise this is probably the wrong topic, but he has heavily promoted Crypto and influenced markets in a big way. 

Edited by welshbairn

20 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Why not just give to neither? 

How can you influence people if you don't give to them. 

It is the same reason he gave so much to media companies. Now he is getting the softball treatment from the Wall Street Journal and New York Times.

This guy stole billions of customer funds to gamble and protect himself at the same time. Why is he not in jail?

5 minutes ago, iron mike python said:

How can you influence people if you don't give to them. 

First of all, I was not being entirely serious but anyway -

If you are influencing both sides isn't that pretty much balancing the influence out so in effect nullifying it?  

12 minutes ago, hk blues said:

First of all, I was not being entirely serious but anyway -

If you are influencing both sides isn't that pretty much balancing the influence out so in effect nullifying it?  

It is if the motive was purely to support the political campaigns then yes but he was doing it in such a way that he could benefit from whoever got in power (probably why he 'hid' the Republican funding)