Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

13 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

It's just guessing at this point. Apparently over $250m of shorts killed today with the price bounce.

As as I said before as soon as it becomes  profitable enough the big players can liquidate retail short sellers at will.

4 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Surely shorting an incredibly volatile thing is as much of a gamble as buying it?

Nobody 'knows' what is going to happen to crypto.

Aside from the philosophical quandaries over the nature of "knowledge"

Even if you did know what is going to happen you'd also have to know when it's going to happen.

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

As as I said before as soon as it becomes  profitable enough the big players can liquidate retail short sellers at will.

Yup, and who knows what kind of funny business the exchanges themselves get up to. If traditional finance platforms like Robinhood are selling customer order data to institutions then you can be sure it goes on in crypto too.

22 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Surely shorting an incredibly volatile thing is as much of a gamble as buying it?

Nobody 'knows' what is going to happen to crypto.

Shorting it is even more of gamble than buying it.

And you're right nobody knows, which is why bitcoins death has been reported 100s of times.

Should put the predictions of some people on this thread into context.

3 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Bitcoin is up this morning. 3.1% to over 17 grand (sterling)

1vn0.gif

It's almost turning into an equities tracker (in direction terms).  Not sure how this happened with what is supposed to be decentralised finance.

On 20/06/2022 at 02:08, Satoshi said:

It was more of a reflection of the certainty of people on this thread on the value of cryptocurrency continue to crash (to zero I guess eventually?)

And if this is your viewpoint then fair enough, you could have made (and could still make) a fortune short selling it. And even short term market manipulation would be overcome in the long term.

It's not a policy I would advocate, quite the opposite, for me the chances of cryptocurrency values rising again are incredibly high (far greater than 95%) so this is a period to wait out and periodically buy. Crypto has had worse crashes that this, and it will probably have worse again in future (with a shorter cycle). Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Which does raise the question of how often does a dead cat bounce ?

When it has lots of hot air in it, probably many times.

Edited by beefybake

I'm by no means an expert in all this, but I remember reading a few months back that the cost of mining a bitcoin was around $27k, and that was before energy bills started going into the stratosphere. If it's unviable to mine more of the currency just now - especially given it has a finite supply, whatever the ceiling limit is - does that create a 'scarcity' demand or is it just gonna flush it if the mining inviability keeps up for a long period?

6 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

I'm by no means an expert in all this, but I remember reading a few months back that the cost of mining a bitcoin was around $27k, and that was before energy bills started going into the stratosphere. If it's unviable to mine more of the currency just now - especially given it has a finite supply, whatever the ceiling limit is - does that create a 'scarcity' demand or is it just gonna flush it if the mining inviability keeps up for a long period?

The cost to mine bitcoin varies hugely around the world, obviously mainly depending on local energy costs, but cooling needs are another biggie. I read the other day that US mining company Marathon has a cost of $6,200 per coin (I'm not sure where they're located).

When bitcoin crashed to $4k in March 2020  very few were mining profitably, although the system is designed to correct itself as the more costly miners go offline and the remaining ones get a larger share of the bitcoin produced.

Edited by Zetterlund

13 hours ago, beefybake said:

Which does raise the question of how often does a dead cat bounce ?

When it has lots of hot air in it, probably many times.

In Bitcoins case? It's a particularly valuable looking dead cat even now.

And if history is anything to go by it will bounce much higher than it ever has before next cycle.

Edited by Satoshi

"Tell me how you like it, if I put it right there?" Eh, 2.5 Eth you say, can I pay you in a month? Actually no, forget it, you're alright...

https://rarible.com/token/0xc9154424b823b10579895ccbe442d41b9abd96ed:47367540188351612495432463676995587563019383922592567404219863918806931865603?tab=details