Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

1 hour ago, Kapowzer said:

As I said before, I really don't get your endgame, if it's to repeatedly profess your sage knowledge or foresight, well you do you. But at many of your own admissions, you don't touch it, you don't see value nor merit to it, safe to say you've not fully researched it? 

Your hypothesis is that if I don't see the merit it means that I don't understand enough.

The alternate hypothesis is that I don't see the merit because I do understand enough.

I invite you to at least consider that possibility

4 hours ago, strichener said:

For convenience read less traceable.

Even the "untraceable" thing isn't that great

The blockchain means that transactions are stored publicly and, supposedly, for ever. So you've left at least the start of a trail.

If your a ne'er-do-well who's up to no good then you can create a complex network of shell wallets to funnel your ill gotten gains to safety but it's not the one stop money laundering solution that people might think it is. It will requires skill and effort and carries a risk. It's probably still better than many traditional methods of money laundering.

8 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Even the "untraceable" thing isn't that great

The blockchain means that transactions are stored publicly and, supposedly, for ever. So you've left at least the start of a trail.

If your a ne'er-do-well who's up to no good then you can create a complex network of shell wallets to funnel your ill gotten gains to safety but it's not the one stop money laundering solution that people might think it is. It will requires skill and effort and carries a risk. It's probably still better than many traditional methods of money laundering.

For sure it is better than some of the traditional money laundering however the authorities in the US have started recovering crypto gained from ransomware attacks. 

Again this is not going to be a long term alternative to the current money system.  When the underlying "asset" is privately controlled there are obvious and undeniable risks far above investing in T-bonds or gilts, regardless of what you think of the government that currently run those economies.

It tickles me when folk say crypto is untraceable. Sure, no name is attached to the blockchain but you’re sure as hell very traceable via transactional searches on the blockchain. Once money is identified as being illegitimate/stolen/shady it can be flagged and you can’t move it at all. Even Tornado/laundering wallets are getting flagged now.

40 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

It tickles me when folk say crypto is untraceable. Sure, no name is attached to the blockchain but you’re sure as hell very traceable via transactional searches on the blockchain. Once money is identified as being illegitimate/stolen/shady it can be flagged and you can’t move it at all. Even Tornado/laundering wallets are getting flagged now.

Mind you there is a clear availability bias with money laundering

We only really know about the people that are bad at it

Similarly there may actually be loads of really good wigs and realistic boob jobs out there 

16 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

A lot of world salad there. You seem to focus on semantics rather than concepts and this is the third time I'm having to correct or point you down the right path.

First if you're going to quote me get the quote right. I said "widely adopted" I did not link that to its intrinsic value, you inferred that, if you are going to suggest my meaning then it really only serves to make this your echo chamber. It was to explain my use of and your unknown fixation of "known quantity". And here you are again peddling it. You also have a habit of posting then going back and editing the posts, shame you don't correct the right bits, you just add to your rant with afterthoughts.

If you care to read my first involvement in the previous page you'll see my post was very critical. I'm far from a cheerleader for crypto, yes I have dabbled and I've made something and I've lost some. The issue is I do my homework and try to mitigate risks. I don't look for sympathy like I don't intend to share any gains.

When I first started following this thread I genuinely thought it would be an information exchange where links to articles or heads up on developments would be shared. However it's been taken over by a few who seem intent on their views being periodically reinforced.

The usual cycle seems to follow the BTC graph, a year ago after the Doge bubble burst, the same users on here rubbing their hands with glee, in September through to November only a few dipped in intermittently to reassert they wouldn't be touching it. Now we're in a crypto winter and it's a collective back slapping exercise again.

As I said before, I really don't get your endgame, if it's to repeatedly profess your sage knowledge or foresight, well you do you. But at many of your own admissions, you don't touch it, you don't see value nor merit to it, safe to say you've not fully researched it? So why continue to come onto a forum to continually post an article saying its shit, point out your scepticism or drop a meme?

It's just me I suppose. For example I have a basic knowledge of Ice Hockey, went to a LA Kings game, was not able to follow the puck, had no idea what was going on and resented the $30 I paid for it. I had no desire to go back. However, would you find me on a Ice Hockey blog, saying hockey is shit, extolling the virtues of football and how glad I am that I prefer that as my sport? Nope, I'd just focus my time more productively.

Fucking Hell!

Similarly there may actually be loads of really good wigs and realistic boob jobs out there 
I used to know a plastic surgeon. Doctor-patient confidentiality be dammed, she would point out people in the street she'd worked on. 9/10 I'd never have guessed.

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I used to know a plastic surgeon. Doctor-patient confidentiality be dammed, she would point out people in the street she'd worked on. 9/10 I'd never have guessed.

There's a bloke I see wandering around Tollcross with a full beard, long flowing locks and massive knockers. I'm not a plastic surgeon but I reckon he's had work done

16 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

A lot of world salad there. You seem to focus on semantics rather than concepts and this is the third time I'm having to correct or point you down the right path.

First if you're going to quote me get the quote right. I said "widely adopted" I did not link that to its intrinsic value, you inferred that, if you are going to suggest my meaning then it really only serves to make this your echo chamber. It was to explain my use of and your unknown fixation of "known quantity". And here you are again peddling it. You also have a habit of posting then going back and editing the posts, shame you don't correct the right bits, you just add to your rant with afterthoughts.

If you care to read my first involvement in the previous page you'll see my post was very critical. I'm far from a cheerleader for crypto, yes I have dabbled and I've made something and I've lost some. The issue is I do my homework and try to mitigate risks. I don't look for sympathy like I don't intend to share any gains.

When I first started following this thread I genuinely thought it would be an information exchange where links to articles or heads up on developments would be shared. However it's been taken over by a few who seem intent on their views being periodically reinforced.

The usual cycle seems to follow the BTC graph, a year ago after the Doge bubble burst, the same users on here rubbing their hands with glee, in September through to November only a few dipped in intermittently to reassert they wouldn't be touching it. Now we're in a crypto winter and it's a collective back slapping exercise again.

As I said before, I really don't get your endgame, if it's to repeatedly profess your sage knowledge or foresight, well you do you. But at many of your own admissions, you don't touch it, you don't see value nor merit to it, safe to say you've not fully researched it? So why continue to come onto a forum to continually post an article saying its shit, point out your scepticism or drop a meme?

It's just me I suppose. For example I have a basic knowledge of Ice Hockey, went to a LA Kings game, was not able to follow the puck, had no idea what was going on and resented the $30 I paid for it. I had no desire to go back. However, would you find me on a Ice Hockey blog, saying hockey is shit, extolling the virtues of football and how glad I am that I prefer that as my sport? Nope, I'd just focus my time more productively.

Ice hockey thread for this pish.

I keep a passing information / fascination with cryptocurrency, although I have made no investments. 

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but the president of El Salvador (which adopted Bitcoin as its national currency) "bought the drip" at $60,300 per BTC. Current price $21,280. 

image.png.9b45c974ec3f85ddda909418582b57a7.png

54 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I keep a passing information / fascination with cryptocurrency, although I have made no investments. 

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but the president of El Salvador (which adopted Bitcoin as its national currency) "bought the drip" at $60,300 per BTC. Current price $21,280. 

Looks like he's doubling down..

image.png.9b45c974ec3f85ddda909418582b57a7.png

Absolutely, terrifyingly, mental.

On 14/06/2022 at 20:58, Detournement said:

Since every Airdrop mentioned in the thread is now underwater it's probably a good thing more of them weren't posted.

Can you tell me what an airdrop is please? What is an airdrop?

On 26/12/2021 at 10:54, iron mike python said:

RADAR AIrdrop- For Any dapp user who has used 1 Ethereum dapp in the past 6 months, and at least 10 Ethereum dapps in a wallet’s lifetime.

SOS airdrop - Airdrop for anyone that has used Opensea. (This aims to be some form of vampire attack on OpenSea) but is free money at the moment.

My Airdrops came to around £400. (-£60 for ETH Gas fees).

Nice Christmas present

This is an Airdrop.

Since you posted about them RADAR has lost about 85% of it's value and SOS has very impressively lost 99.9999% and there was never a point where you could have cashed out for a profit.

But you were on here hoping to encourage people to buy this shite because you are a mug locked into multi level marketing scams.

Edited by Detournement

39 minutes ago, Detournement said:

This is an Airdrop.

Since you posted about them RADAR has lost about 85% of it's value and SOS has very impressively lost 99.9999% and there was never a point where you could have cashed out for a profit.

But you were on here hoping to encourage people to buy this shite because you are a mug locked into multi level marketing scams.

Airdrops are tokens distributed to qualifying wallets for free. It doesn't look like Mike was encouraging anyone to buy anything, he was giving a heads up in case anyone reading the thread was eligible to claim it.

1 minute ago, Zetterlund said:

Airdrops are tokens distributed to qualifying wallets for free. It doesn't look like Mike was encouraging anyone to buy anything, he was giving a heads up in case anyone reading the thread was eligible to claim it.

It's not free though. You have to pay the gas fees.

You pay real money for ETH and in turn receive some shitcoin on the Ethereum network which will soon be worth 0.

2 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

They're a marketing tool to lure people into buying more aren't they?