Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

11 minutes ago, SANTAN said:

Jheeze go on lad. Love to see it!

I swear I saw that picture a week ago or so going for a large amount? 

I'm getting frighteningly tempted to get one..  

There are 999 fidenzas so you probably saw another one. The cheapest one currently is 170 ETH so if you have that sort of cash go ahead :lol: 

If you want NFT exposure but don't know what to buy/can't afford punks etc you can just buy the tokens like $PUNK or $RARI.

31 minutes ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

There are 999 fidenzas so you probably saw another one. The cheapest one currently is 170 ETH so if you have that sort of cash go ahead :lol: 

If you want NFT exposure but don't know what to buy/can't afford punks etc you can just buy the tokens like $PUNK or $RARI.

What platform do you use to get them? I just use Coinbase, Binance and Kucoin like the amateur I am. Do you need to have some separate ETH wallet or something? 

What platform do you use to get them? I just use Coinbase, Binance and Kucoin like the amateur I am. Do you need to have some separate ETH wallet or something? 

Sushiswap is the best place to buy. Yeah will need to connect your metamask and add ETH then just swap it for the tokens.

1 hour ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Just picked up some apes from bitmates.io for 0.07 ETH each. Looks pretty cool.

Get it posted so I can do that "hilarious" Twitter thing where I save the image and then mock you for making money from it. 

I get the whole cryptocurrency thing as its decentralised and you're hoping that a major retailer (Amazon) or financial institution (Mastercard/Visa) may adopt it in a significant way adding to its value.

The whole NFT thing however reminds me so much of Dutch Tulip Mania, if this is news to you it's worth a look and there are more in-depth videos. History repeats itself more than we appreciate.

Solana is fucking insane. Gone from 6% to 20% of my portfolio in 6 weeks. +500% in that time.
I am also enjoying Solana's rise. It's so much faster than the other level ones. It was always a good shout to profit when use cases needed quick processing.

Can you expand why this thread should be in the gambling forum and the Investment thread shouldn't?
News says crypto bad. [emoji1787]

Been a few belters recently. One in the metro last week about the guy losing his life savings on bitcoin was a hoot.

He had put it all on high leverage futures.

So not even trading Bitcoin.

Writer clearly didn't know the difference between an asset and a derivative.

1 hour ago, iron mike python said:

Can you expand why this thread should be in the gambling forum and the Investment thread shouldn't?

I've not seen the investment thread but that should be posted in the gambling forum as well. Less risky than crypto but still I'd class it as gambling. (Disclosure:- I've got my whole future 'gambling' on the stock market - ISAs/SIPP)

I could just be bitter because my mate was badgering me to buy into bitcoin about 10 years ago. I don't like to look at what price it was then but I still believe that it's very much a gamble. I prefer to invest long term in a wide variety of things. (Yes, some of that should possibly be in crypto) If I was going to put any money in bitcoin I'd have to be prepared to lose it all.

Edited by Suspect Device

2 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I've not seen the investment thread but that should be posted in the gambling forum as well. Less risky than crypto but still I'd class it as gambling. (Disclosure:- I've got my whole future 'gambling' on the stock market - ISAs/SIPP)

I could just be bitter because my mate was badgering me to buy into bitcoin about 10 years ago. I don't like to look at what price it was then but I still believe that it's very much a gamble. I prefer to invest long term in a wide variety of things. (Yes, some of that should possibly be in crypto) If I was going to put any money in bitcoin I'd have to be prepared to lose it all.

I wouldn’t compare investing in the stock market to gambling, particularly if you invest in passive funds like an S&P tracker that has a sufficiently long positive track record.

Maybe crypto will one day have a similar track record but it will be after I have to think about it as an option.

6 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

News says crypto bad. emoji1787.png

Been a few belters recently. One in the metro last week about the guy losing his life savings on bitcoin was a hoot.

He had put it all on high leverage futures.

So not even trading Bitcoin.

Writer clearly didn't know the difference between an asset and a derivative.

Not all of the news I read does. Some of the publications are starting to come round to the possibility of it being a valuable part of any portfolio.

Still not convinced though. Like anybody reaching retirement (I'm 53 - 2 years until I access my pension) I get a bit more risk averse. 

Don't think anyone could reasonably suggest that Crypto isn't a riskier risk on asset than the equities market. That is without doubt the case.

But at the same time, that's why my long term crypto investments are +90% so far this year (after the big crash) and why I'm +36% on account last month on the 12 short term trades I took (7W/5L) versus 6% this year on my ISA.

Investing/trading in crypto I find no different from a technical perspective than equities or Forex.

What is absolutely true, IMO, is that there are more people in crypto who don't know what they're doing in Crypto than in those other markets because it's more accessible to many.

I have been in several Discord groups where Risk Management is a complete unknown and people are undoubtedly gambling.

But that's the people involved for me, not the asset class itself.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I wouldn’t compare investing in the stock market to gambling, particularly if you invest in passive funds like an S&P tracker that has a sufficiently long positive track record.

Maybe crypto will one day have a similar track record but it will be after I have to think about it as an option.

It's still gambling in that you can invest in a passive fund the day before a crash/correction and you will 'lose' money. Granted over the long term, it will almost always make it back so it's more like blackjack than poker but still gambling.

That is why they always give you disclaimers "the value of stocks can fall as well as rise yadda yadda yadda."

I prefer the get rich slowly method. it's served me well in the 20 odd years I've been investing.