Liverpool City Council Ban FOBTs In Betting Shops

Gaz

Im sure mid-table can come along with the proof, but for the last few years William Hill have been making more money from FBOT machines than from traditional betting. They can turn a spin of roulette around 4 times a minute and accept bets up to £100 a spin i believe. Hence why it is so easy to lose money without even thinking about those chasing loses.

There's a really good Dispatches documentary on it here: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/videos/all/britains-high-street-gamble.

The interesting side of it is that the gambling industry claim that they don't put bookies in areas of multiple social deprivation. There is one bookie in David Cameron's home town, tucked up a side alley. There are streets in towns with eleven or twelve bookies within a two-minute walk of each other.

Yeah if you go by any rough estate or town, of the few shops that are open and flourishing, the bookies will certainly be one of them.

I read that Glasgow city centre has the highest concentration of these machines in the UK, and also has the highest rate of money spent on gambling.

I personally wouldn't go on them, but can sympathize with those who can get addicted to them.

I went into a bookies at queen street one morning a few years ago to fire a coupon on before we got a train to Aberdeen at about 9-30 and there were guys sitting playing these machines at that time which shocked me.

Bookies are making a fortune these days but losing a fiver to spice up a midweek fixture list and firing your wage into one of these machines in an hour are very different things.

What the bookies will come back with - with some justification - is that as long as online bookies are legal in the UK and can take very high stakes, what they have to offer isn't really any different.

Im sure mid-table can come along with the proof, but for the last few years William Hill have been making more money from FBOT machines than from traditional betting. They can turn a spin of roulette around 4 times a minute and accept bets up to £100 a spin i believe. Hence why it is so easy to lose money without even thinking about those chasing loses.

My understanding is that the individual stores now make upwards of 80% of their money off FOBTs.

What the bookies will come back with - with some justification - is that as long as online bookies are legal in the UK and can take very high stakes, what they have to offer isn't really any different.

The machines are designed to get people hooked though with the visuals and creating the false impression of near misses.

At my work so can't check. Usually one outcome is slightly less than 0.5, and one slightly more than 0.5, but they only usually add up to 0.97 or 0.98 (when converted to decimal odds).

Not quite:

Bookies would tend to price a two outcome event, such as a coin toss (for example) at around 5/6 for both heads and tells. This equates to decimal odds of 1.83 with a 109% book, ie the bookie has a 9% margin. Value betting it is not.

You'll see similar odds on penalty shoot-ours and the like.

Don't quote me on this but I'm sure around 2006ish William Hill published accounts that should +80% of their turnover was generated from FOBTs. Eighty percent. Frightening.

3 x Hills in the town centre

3 x Ladbrokes in the town centre

1 x Paddy power in the town centre

1 x Coral in the town, x2 out of town

1 x independant

Outrageous

Totally agree. Ayr is the same.

5 x Ladbrokes

6 x Corals

William Hills x 2

Bet Fred x 1

There's maybe more, that's just off the top of my head.

The machines are designed to get people hooked though with the visuals and creating the false impression of near misses.

The psychological reasoning behind it, which is startling to say the least, is that these machines are designed with the addictive personality in mind. Many people who reside in the lower socio-economic strata tend to have/suffer from addictive behaviour/personality.

The psychological reasoning behind it, which is startling to say the least, is that these machines are designed with the addictive personality in mind. Many people who reside in the lower socio-economic strata tend to have/suffer from addictive behaviour/personality.

That's really interesting.

Bookies are aplenty in shithole areas as they know poor people will fire their giros into the FOBT to try get some better return.

If I'm in the bookies and have a spare couple of quid I wouldn't have gambled on horses/football, I'll fire it into roulette in the off chance one of my numbers come up. No way could I spend over a tenner in them. Frightening how much you can lose on them.

By the way, if someone was to sit in the bookies for hours firing bets on every race and it's apparent is a losing bet every time, does the bookie have the power to refuse bets if they think you've wasted an absolute fortune?

Great move. Got introduced to these things by a friend when living in Glasgow. Spent every lunch time at college rushing up to the bookies in Springburn for a game of Blackjack. Got a bit addicted was hardly leaving myself any money to eat.

Thankfully came to my senses.