Liverpool City Council Ban FOBTs In Betting Shops

Gaz

Never fails to amaze me how many people keep playing games of chance when it's guaranteed they'll lose money in the long run. People need to be educated - then FOBTs won't be such a problem. I get its an addiction but it seems a feeble excuse to me - it's sheer stupidity to play these games.

How many times do we hear that things can be sorted through "education"? People have a pretty good idea of what's not good for them - eating shite, eating too much, not taking exercise, drugs, alcohol, driving whilst being pished / doped up, gambling, drunk girls having unprotected sex with random strangers (aye, I'm jealous!)......even a complete imbecile knows that they're not good for you, yet loads of people just carry on. Education won't help.

I don't have a real problem with the state trying to curb excesses where people don't / can't do it themselves. We're quite happy when the state intervenes to top up poor wages (not the best of examples after last week), but it's seen as a bad thing when they intervene to try to dampen down demand on things that ain't that good for you in excess.

Online betting - one of the worst things that the internet has enabled us to do.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

How many times do we hear that things can be sorted through "education"? People have a pretty good idea of what's not good for them - eating shite, eating too much, not taking exercise, drugs, alcohol, driving whilst being pished / doped up, gambling, drunk girls having unprotected sex with random strangers (aye, I'm jealous!)......even a complete imbecile knows that they're not good for you, yet loads of people just carry on. Education won't help.

I don't have a real problem with the state trying to curb excesses where people don't / can't do it themselves. We're quite happy when the state intervenes to top up poor wages (not the best of examples after last week), but it's seen as a bad thing when they intervene to try to dampen down demand on things that ain't that good for you in excess.

Online betting - one of the worst things that the internet has enabled us to do.

It's not comparable to unprotected sex, drugs etc. Those things provide enjoyment and people don't really give a f**k if they're bad for you. Gambling on FOBTs doesn't have a single benefit for people. The key is to teach people this from a young age and less will be tempted to start doing it later in life. As already said, are we going to ban alcohol, tobacco and everything else that can be addictive?

Though tbf I disagree that banning FOBT's will have no effect as everyone will play online instead. It's much simpler to just walk into a bookies and stuff notes into the machines than signing up to online accounts, most of which require documents showing age, address etc.

Well, no. Everyone playing roulette or FOBTs consistently over a number of years will lose money. Quite obviously.

Eh, no. Your lack of understanding of addiction appears to be matched by your understanding of gambling and probability.

Oh dear.

Eh, no. Your lack of understanding of addiction appears to be matched by your understanding of gambling and probability.

Oh dear.

I have a perfectly good understanding of gambling and probability. How pedantic do you want to be? Maybe 1 in a million who play tens of thousands of spins will manage a few lucky big wins and come out on top?

ETA: fucking LOL at you having a go at people's understanding of probability while claiming you can beat roulette in the long run :lol:

Edited by Fraser Fyvie

Play a FOBT any time im in the bookies to stick a coupon on, not very often, maybe 5-10 times a season. Usually stick whatever change i have on me in the machine and play 20p roullette, I reckon ive won more than ive lost, usually turn a couple of quid into about a tenner most times.

No way these should be banned, people need to take more responsibility for their actions.

So nobody in the world has ever been up over a long period of time at roulette? Is this what you are trying to tell us?

Over tens of thousands of spins? Er, yeah. It's pretty simple stuff. To believe someone can beat a 2.5% edge over that many spins is fucking fantasy.

Edited by Fraser Fyvie

think the machines in ladbrokes let you start winning and get you into a game before taking it back but I only spin it once then leave

New puggies in pubs are set to a much higher payout at first, so that punters play them and win.

Likewise, new "games" in bookies will pay out much higher than their counterparts.

But the payout is always less than 100%

If you're up or down, retire with your winnings.