Liverpool City Council Ban FOBTs In Betting Shops

Gaz

Highland league/juniors betting is restricted to £50, other than that there's not a market that's limited to that extent. X factor maybe? Are you betting on the X factor?

What do you even consider to be a decent sized bet?

I've never bet on a tv show, not even a Big Brother eviction which used to be a huge betting market. I rarely bet in shops these days.

I would say a decent sized bet is £500 upwards.

EPOS systems naturally make it easier and instantaneous for bookmakers to manage their liabilities.

And much like the stock exchange, it's not people who dictate prices now, it's computer programs.

Blue4578 could talk a lot more about this specific issue than I can, he has spent whole days of travelling across England picking up winnings from various bookmakers.

Unless you are a well known consistent loser bookie staff need to phone up head office to OK any horse bet bigger than £50 in most shops.

Bookies will also limit your stake when you bet online, even if you're losing. The majority of big time punters will bet with Betfair, just like the bookies do.

£100 is a decent size bet.

The bookies don't care about the size of individual bets just the total potential payout they are risking on each outcome.

If you walk in and stick a grand on the Cheltenham gold cup they wouldn't blink, do it in the 5:20 at hamilton and it'll raise eyebrows.

Unless you are a well known consistent loser bookie staff need to phone up head office to OK any horse bet bigger than £50 in most shops.

Bookies will also limit your stake when you bet online, even if you're losing. The majority of big time punters will bet with Betfair, just like the bookies do.

Can I just ask what bookmakers this has happened with?

I would say your example is a bit extreme. I could walk into a shop back home where everyone knows that I am in the industry and can still get about £250 on a horse over the counter without anybody needing to check it. Online I can only get a fraction of that on my bets on with a traditional bookmakers by playing the system to make sure certain accounts stay open for longer than a week. I can't see any shop knocking back £100 stakes provided you aren't pot hunting for a massive pay out. Anybody involved in the risk side of the industry looks at in shop punters as not being as price sensitive or as much of a potential danger as online players.

Ladbrokes Barnhill is definitely closest, 1.0 miles from centre of Ferry, Douglas Ladbrokes is 2.1 miles from centre of Ferry.

Before William Hill there was a bookmakers in Broughty Ferry, it was a green fronted building (still is) at the north of Ambrose Street. Can't remember what chain, it might have been an independent. I remember waiting outside it when my dad put our Grand National bets on when I was about 7 years old.

Still not sure what you could mean and as someone who spent their young (the cub/scout hall was in Ambrose street) and adolescent (Fat Phils Chipper around the corner on King Street and drinking carry outs down 'the ledge' by the wooden pier) years in the area I never remember a bookies but I was too young right enough - that glaziers/plumbers on the corner has always been there - no? And on the other 'Ship Inn' side you had Pete Stead's Garage and that before you got to the Ship and the Fishermans. Depends on your era I suppose. I grew up in the Fez from the mid 70's to 1991.

Whitfield is the scariest scheme in Dundee by a fucking long shot.

f**k off - West side is well rougher - trust a 'Provy man' on this. Whitfield might have held the title when I first moved there in the early 90's "skarne block" days but all the West side schemes are way more dodgy now - even the ones that were once seen as 'decent' such as Menzieshill seem to be jakie central these days. The Kirkton/Downfield/St Marys/Ardler/Charlestons bits of Dundee are dog-rough and always will be.

It's lovely at the "East side" of Whitfield now - deeboy is still hanging on the coattails of when it was dodgy. Saying that nawty stabbing a couple of weeks ago but it's pretty rare. The most trouble seems to kick off up the end people consider 'decent'.

Edited by Big Gus

Funny enough there's hardly any bookies up those 'west side' areas compared to the number we discussed down the East end in close proximity.

I think even the bookmakers know when there's 'low affluence' to be taken advantage of and downright jakeballs.

Edited by Big Gus

Ive never known a bookie to restrict a bet, dont the just place the same bet themselves elsewhere to cover the potential losses

Each event will have a maximum liability. In any instance that the liability is exceeded the agent taking the bet will have to phone head office and inform them that a customer wants to place a bet in excess of the liability. In general they will accept the bet up to the liability and then offer reduced odds on the remainder of the bet.

However some bookmakers will choose to monitor a customers bets. In the instance that a customer is placing bets just below the liability and winning that individual customer will be offered odds at a reduced rate than advertised.

I currently have had accounts closed by betvictor, sporting bet and Stan James, all of which were less than £500 up

Since this seems to have turned into a general gambling Q&A, I have a question. I've heard before of people who have had lots of accounts closed just because they are up money, is this a common thing? Are bookies allowed to do this, and what is the justification?

If people start winning a lot, then do they just get banned from bookies? This seems a little unfair if so!

95+% of the times accounts are limited has very little to do with winning money. The two main things looked at are price differencial and betting strategy/pattern.

The justification is that as a business we are entitled to take business from whoever we want and not from others. Same way that a bar doesn't have to just serve anyone

I can say from my companies point of view we have only outright closed a handfull of accounts, however we do limit people to the point they don't bother with it.

Since this seems to have turned into a general gambling Q&A, I have a question. I've heard before of people who have had lots of accounts closed just because they are up money, is this a common thing? Are bookies allowed to do this, and what is the justification?

If people start winning a lot, then do they just get banned from bookies? This seems a little unfair if so!

In the past I have had accounts limited after two or three consecutive wins (not substantial stakes either, max was £150 on a single).

A maths teacher at another school that I know is an absolute genius when it comes to statistics and probability. He has had accounts closed by almost all the major internet bookmakers.

He's never tried to claim that he has a system but more that he can quickly recognise when he thinks a bookie has overpriced or underpriced a market (or two bookies offering odds in such a way that it minimises any potential losses), and take advantage of it.

Yeah it did thankfully, I broke down in front of her having realised exactly what I had done.

Took about 7 months before I was allowed my bank card again, felt like a complete child but it was the only way to stop me from completely losing myself in the bookies.

I don't think people realise how easy it actually is to become addicted and how incredibly difficult it is to get away from it.

68.jpg

So basically, if you start winning stuff on a regular basis, then your account is limited...but if you start losing stuff on a regular basis, then no problem? I'm surprised this is legal to just bar people on what is effectively a whim.

So basically, if you start winning stuff on a regular basis, then your account is limited...but if you start losing stuff on a regular basis, then no problem? I'm surprised this is legal to just bar people on what is effectively a whim.

I guess it all comes down to businesses being able to refuse service to whomever they want, on the grounds that it's not discriminatory.