New Inverness Caledonian Thistle Manager

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is a bully and picks on the same players all the time, usually for no apparant reason. He also has his favourites who can do no wrong in his eyes. He made some baffling signings for Falkirk and also let some good players go, Liam Craig springs to mind immediately.

Despite all this, if he can go back to the way he started with us, he had some really good contacts and brought some smashing players in (Krul, Stokes, Cregg) until he started over reaching and spent too much wages on the likes of O'Brien, McNamara, McCann which have left the club in a bad way financially.

Overall though, I'd say he was a good guy, and could be a good appointment, if he is kept in check.

ICT fans will remember a game were I think Falkirk were 3 up that we eventually lost 4-3. Hughes watched our Aussie goalie chuck the game and took to the radio afterwards to admit "Ah says tae Ricey wi 20 to go that wur gonna lose". Good luck guys.

Have Caley just made a Booboo with Yogi?? Interesting times.

I think we might have.

Had we been struggling near the foot of the table with players not applying themselves Yogi Hughes might then have been a good appointment.

The situation we are in right now (thanks to our previous management trio) doesn't need a drill sergeant, bossy, bullying type of manager. He's just the wrong kind of guy to handle the bunch of players we have in our squad right now.

I hope it will prove to be a good appointment, but If the players don't take to Hughes's management style there could very well be problems ahead.

Difficult to say whether this will work out or not.

Hughes has a good chance to save his managerial career here. Wouldn't have been my first choice and would be surprised if he was ICT's either.

That said, Hartley would have been just as big a risk. When Hughes moved from Falkirk to Hibs he was spoken about in the same regard that Hartley is today - young, ambitious, 'playing football the right way' etc. No guarantee Hartley would have been successful - we only have to look at Alan Johnston at Killie to realise that.

Perhaps Hughes was the best value for money out of the rest. If Brewster and Shiels were next on the list then I can understand why.

Surprised Inverness didn't go in for Ally McCoist. After a good run at The Rangers he would have surely walked away for a crack at managing in the top league...

To be fair Hartley's job at Alloa has been harder than Johnston's at QoS but I agree, it would have been a risk. A lot of the comments on here are very unfair to Yogi, Hibs fans bad mouthing him for finishing 4th in the SPL rather than 3rd- get real!

If people really aren't sure about Hughes then is this not the perfect test of his ability? He's got a job most managers in Scotland would love to come into, but I fear he's damned if he succeeds ("Just succeeding on the back of Butcher's hard work") and damned if he doesn't ("Wasted all the hard work Butcher did").

To be fair Hartley's job at Alloa has been harder than Johnston's at QoS but I agree, it would have been a risk. A lot of the comments on here are very unfair to Yogi, Hibs fans bad mouthing him for finishing 4th in the SPL rather than 3rd- get real!

If people really aren't sure about Hughes then is this not the perfect test of his ability? He's got a job most managers in Scotland would love to come into, but I fear he's damned if he succeeds ("Just succeeding on the back of Butcher's hard work") and damned if he doesn't ("Wasted all the hard work Butcher did").

You don't have a clue what you are talking about, give up.

If I step aside from the football and speak about the people of Inverness, I get the feeling they want a real honest day's shift, they want to roll their sleeves up and are honest people.

honestly ... its started already

Wow, this really has happened. I thought a Ross county troll had invaded BBC sources for the LOLZ.

RIP Diagonal balls for Foran to knock down and McKay to poke in.

Whoever came in was going to have a tough job given the position we're at now. It's a strange choice but we'll need to give him a chance. The only positive for me is he may respond well to the pressure of taking over a successful team and knowing this could be his last shot at resurrecting his career. Butcher was in a similar position when he arrived.

The last 5 or so years have been a bit of a roller coaster . Coming straight back up after relegation, we dug in and established ourselves in the league. 3 seasons ago though, we were playing the worst football I've ever witnessed in all my years watching ICT and Thistle before them. That was under Butcher, and he got the time, when many wanted him sacked. Every other SPL club would've sacked him, yet the following season and ever since we've been fantastic. Sometimes it just works all of a sudden, and we'll have to hope it works out for Hughes.

He'll find it hard to f**k it up with the squad we've got, so next season will be the test, but if he doesn't deliver a cup, Europe or both this season, he'll get pelters probably, but that's football.

Archived