Ricksen diagnosed with Motor Neuron Disease

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No surrender. :lol:

Well any sympathy I have for him is gone now. Assuming the message is genuine.

I reckon he understands it as a club motto rather than some tribal war cry. It's clear that he relates it to his own situation rather than having a go at the Catholic community of Northern Ireland...

I reckon he understands it as a club motto rather than some tribal war cry. It's clear that he relates it to his own situation rather than having a go at the Catholic community of Northern Ireland...

Fair enough.

All the best, Fernando. Sieg Heil!

Could Belfast Tim be any more of an obnoxious arsehole? Ok, we all know you don't like rangers but the man has a horrible condition which is incurable and means his last years will be immensely hard for him and his family. If you don't want to show any sympathy then don't, but to come on a thread and actively use his condition to score some cheap points is about as low as any normal human being can get.

You however feel towards The Rangers and their fan base, this man came to our country to earn a living for himself and his family and is in no way involved in the sectarianism and bigotry that you peddle on a daily basis, and does not deserve the ridicule you are attempting to dish out.

The statement he put out was not an attempt to wind up Celtic fans. He has a connection with The Rangers fans and has heard them using this phrase on a regular basis, and feels that it sums up his own feelings on his situation and can be a rallying cry he and his family can use in his forthcoming battle against his illness.

If you want to noise up The Rangers fans there are plenty other threads to do it.

Fernando Ricksen-- good luck in your coming battles and No Surrender

Fair enough.

All the best, Fernando. Sieg Heil!

f**k me, could you be any more of a raging roaster.

Take your boring paranoid agendas about Rangers and the rest of Scottish football & kindly shove them up your ass.

Good luck Fernando Ricksen.

f**k me, could you be any more of a raging roaster.

Take your boring paranoid agendas about Rangers and the rest of Scottish football & kindly shove them up your ass.

Good luck Fernando Ricksen.

Well said. I think we can safely say Ricksen saying this is a million miles away from what the bigots would like it to mean.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very emotional, Ricksen was clearly very emotional, as were many people around me, puts all our petty arguments in perspective.

Teds, well said. Something else has to be said and it can only come from a Bear.

Ricksen should not become some sort of cause célèbre. He was a footballer who divided opinions both within and outside of Ibrox. I'd hate this situation to make him a Rangers hero. He isn't,although he did play a brilliant season or two for us.

I'd prefer folk to see MND as a blight on young people and a dreadful travesty on our humanity. I'd encourage folk to give a fiver to MND research.

http://www.mndassociation.org/get-involved/fundraising/Fundraising

Teds, well said. Something else has to be said and it can only come from a Bear.

Ricksen should not become some sort of cause célèbre. He was a footballer who divided opinions both within and outside of Ibrox. I'd hate this situation to make him a Rangers hero. He isn't,although he did play a brilliant season or two for us.

I'd prefer folk to see MND as a blight on young people and a dreadful travesty on our humanity. I'd encourage folk to give a fiver to MND research.

http://www.mndassociation.org/get-involved/fundraising/Fundraising

Well put. For all the publicity given to famous people who fall ill, this lad's attitude is incredible. There's no red-top friendly "brave battle" here, he knows all he can do is the best he can till the end.

I had no time for Ricksen as a player, but he is bearing his condition with dignity and decency. As you say, this horrible condition strikes the (relatively) young and healthy disproportionately, and any funds contributed are money well spent.

I've donated today's winnings - not much, but Hell, it's a damn' good cause.

Don't forget to Gift-Aid any donations - it keeps the Taxman's grubby mitts away. (Not a dig, btw - it boosts the benefit of your donation by about 20%)

And RIP Ian Redford.

I heard on the Radio that it was altogether a bit emotional today at Ibrox.

The Ricksen stuff came after a minute' s silence for Ian Redford.  All bloody sad.

If true, very dignified timing by RFC (IL) to have Ricksen come out just after a minutes silence for a former player who died, given his deteriorating condition.

Who the hell thought that one up ?

Yeah, the whole P&B classic of "wish him a quick recovery" etc etc simply doesn't apply to this. Horrible, horrible disease which one of my colleagues got only last year and now can't do anything for herself, stuck in a wheelchair in a home knowing that the horrible end is nigh. Our work alone managed to raise >£20k for MND Scotland which was no mean feat. Nobody should wish this on anyone.

This is one of those SSPCA vs RSPCA type situations

The one you've posted is for England and Wales & NI. The Scottish Charity is:

http://www.mndscotland.org.uk

True, but as I live in England, no problem. Living down here, you do sometimes forget about Scotland having their own organisations in different fields...

Archived