90s Emo

bullywee

Emo seems to have a tarnished reputation these days, but recently I've started to immerse myself in stuff from the 90s and I'm really enjoying it. It's sad, in a way, that I'm only 21 and it's already been a while since I've been able to do this with a new genre of music.

I've listened to The Promise Ring for a while now and recently got into Texas Is The Reason (annoying, given they played Glasgow on their last ever tour only a couple of months back) and have listened to a few American Football tracks as well as a load of stuff from youtube, but that's about it.

So, this is a thread to help enlighten myself and others of bands (old or new) who carry this sort of sound. Hopefully it'll also introduce a few people to a genre that would have otherwise passed them by.

Probably my favourite song just now.

Edited by bullywee

Balls out here, that American Football s/t record is a classic. Not just of the genre but genuinely one of my favourite records ever. It's an absolute tragedy that they didn't do any more.

Edited by Christophe

I'm fairly certain that i saw the Promise Ring support Jimmy Eat World at the barras about 11 or 12 years ago. Unfortunately i can't remember too much about their performance.

Rival Schools is a good shout. Used to listen to United by Fate a lot when i was younger along with And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of The Dead and Weezer.

Nada Surf were another but i watched a couple of their vids on You Tube just recently and they weren't as good as i remember.

• 5 weeks later...

I just missed this scene, it was the early to mid 2000s i started to really get into emo. I know the american football album though, it is brilliant. Hell is for Heroes were my favourite, still listen to their debut occasionally, it's still great. I used to listen to a LOT of dashboard confessional, again, the early albums were brilliant and I still listen to them today. Not sure if they are still going but the later albums I listened to were less good. I hope a bit more 90s stuff gets posted, really liked the stuff above having never heard any of it before.

• 7 months later...

I never really understood what an 'emo' band was and what made them different from any other vaguely alternative rock group.

However I have heard And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead occasionally refered to as an emo band and I like their early records. Saw them at QMU a while back as well.

They went rubbish after Sources, Codes and Tags it has to be said, I believe there was a line up change.

This was a brilliant time I seemed to be at gigs every week in the 90s. 13th Note/Sleazys:

Remember seeing:

Rye Coallition

The Van Pelt

Hal al Shedad

Karate

Understand

Chamberlain

The Get Up Kids/Braid

The Promise Ring

Refused (not emo I know)

Chuffed so many others into this scene. Saw Texas Is The reason at Classic Grand recently and it was everything I hoped for. Cannot wait until Mineral (if you haven't got tickets I would get em). Wish I had seen Bob Tilton and Cap n Jazz when they played back then.

The Van Pelt have released a "new" album called Imaginary Third basically songs recorded by Van Pelt that formed Lapse debut when they split. Worth a purchase

Edited by marty_j