Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I bet there would be a good correlation counting the number of bookies within the data area, as elsewhere.

The tell-tale sign of a de facto shitehole is the flat-roofed line of shops consisting of a bookies (probably a Coral), pharmacy, Chinese takeaway (Lucky something) and a Spar. 

Maybe a baker.

Edited by Hedgecutter

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

The tell-tale sign of a de facto shitehole is the flat-roofed line of shops comprising solely of a bookies (probably a Coral), pharmacy, Chinese takeaway and a Spar.   Maybe a baker.

Luxury! 

The tell-tale sign of a de facto shitehole is the flat-roofed line of shops consisting of a bookies (probably a Coral), pharmacy, Chinese takeaway (Lucky something) and a Spar. 
Maybe a baker.
Down the road from me. Old haunt of leigh Griffiths as well [emoji23]Screenshot_20200128_185409_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpeg

Maybe there's an old Strathbungo tenement that still has lead piping or something.
Pray for Markka

There is quite a high percentage of ‘supporter accommodation’ dwelling for people with mental illness etc in that particular area, cant remember the name of the charity but that would possibly impact on the score in that regard, one of the biggest ones in Scotland actually. But the actual standard of a lot of the houses there is quite high, particularly if compared to Allison Street in Govanhill or some of the streets off that, best described as slums.

36 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Maybe a baker.

Describes Merkinch perfectly. 

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Describes Merkinch perfectly. 

Is the Ferry really that bad compared to other places? I'm surprised: I mean, it is a hole, but I wouldn't have thought it's any worse than some of the places I've been to in the Central Belt.

1 hour ago, Cyclizine said:

Is the Ferry really that bad compared to other places? I'm surprised: I mean, it is a hole, but I wouldn't have thought it's any worse than some of the places I've been to in the Central Belt.

It made the most deprived 5% band, ranking it below Tillydrone in Aberdeen.

FWIW, it seems the number of 5% areas has actually dropped off in Glasgow (2020 map below), possibly at the expense of Dundee that has a few more areas than it did in 2016 (e.g. Lochee / Fairmuir / Caird Park).  That and Greenock / Port Glasgow that has double these zones now.

Glasgow.thumb.PNG.f0941207aedc903a9f73a5310dbcb026.PNG

Leven, Kennoway and bits of Falkirk (Bainsford) & Dunfermline (Bellyeoman) all have new patches, as does Aberdeen that was dark red free in 2016.  Kilwinning has now escaped, with a drop in Kilmarnock too, but Ayr has almost double what it did before with half of 'nearby' Catrine being a new entry.   Parts of Galashiels have also entered the shitehole premier league for the first time.

Suppose there will always be a lowest 5% somewhere, but it's interesting to see the evolving distribution.

Edited by Hedgecutter

On 22/02/2019 at 08:38, tarapoa said:

Saw this piece in the Scotsman

https://www.scotsman.com/business/these-are-the-scottish-regions-with-the-highest-and-lowest-average-weekly-earnings-1-4877133?page=8

Interesting that Dumfries & Galloway, Borders and Angus rank so low - but all returned Tory MPs.  I thought it's because they had more money than sense in these places.

In amongst Greenock town centre being the worst how did this manage to happen? Inverclyde 2nd highest average wages?

I'm calling bollocks on that or dodgy sampling. Must be some wealthy commuters or heavily influenced by Kilmacolm/Inverkip.

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Maybe a baker.

That is pretty much Grant Street in Merkinch. Except there is a surprisingly decent chippy instead of a Chinese.

image.thumb.png.2a8422c93d2214e03d4b54bffc806624.png

ETA I forgot about the grim Chinese about 30 yards away from the above photo. Also featuring another bookies, dodgy newsagent and notoriously mental pub.

image.thumb.png.b4a45aab2263818559596690738067be.png

Edited by Sherrif John Bunnell

That is pretty much Grant Street in Merkinch. Except there is a surprisingly decent chippy instead of a Chinese.
image.thumb.png.2a8422c93d2214e03d4b54bffc806624.png

You need to get another photo to remove Harry Gow, which is excellent (I know there are plenty of others around the city), and get the Nip Inn showing.

Imagine where it would be ranked without the chippy.

2 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

You need to get another photo to remove Harry Gow, which is excellent (I know there are plenty of others around the city), and get the Nip Inn showing.

Imagine where it would be ranked without the chippy.

Apologies to the good people at Harry Gow for including them with the rest of the Grant Street sights.

Although I am still seething that they shut their very handy Tomnahurich St shop, which was then briefly replaced by the far inferior Bon Appetit.

Is there anywhere in Scotland that has had a huge rise or fall in recent years? It would obviously be difficult to change much in the couple of years between samples but what areas have seen a big recent change?

In Edinburgh I know Leith used to be a pretty gritty place and is now very gentrified. The Edinburgh Evening News publishes photos of Leith from the 80s a few weeks back and it was full of derelict buildings and very rundown.

8 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Top 10's for those who can't be ersed clicking links:

Most deprived

Greenock Town Centre & East Central, Inverclyde
Carntyne West & Hagill, Glasgow City
Paisley Ferguslie, Renfrewshire (datazone S01012068)
Alloa South & East, Clackmannanshire
Buckhaven, Denbeath & Muiredge, Fife
Cliftonville, North Lanarkshire
Paisley Ferguslie, Renfrewshire (datazone S01012067)
Inverness Merkinch, Highland
Linlathen &Midcraigie, Dundee City
North Balanark & Easterhouse South, Glasgow City

Least Deprived

Stockbridge, City Of Edinburgh
West End North, Aberdeen City
Midstocket, Aberdeen City (datazone S01006559)
Marchmont West, City Of Edinburgh
MIdstocket, Aberdeen City (S01006561)
Blackhall, City Of Edinburgh
South Castlehill & Thorn, East Dunbartonshire
Morningside, City Of Edinburgh
West End South, Aberdeen City
Netherlee, East Renfrewshire

Worst by Criteria

Income - Falkirk Town Centre & Callender Park
Employment - Glasgow's Shettleston North
Health - Glasgow's Possil Park
Education - Craignuek, Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
Acess - Rannoch & Aberfeldy, Perth & Kinross
Crime South area of Glasgow City Centre
Housing - Part Of Strathbungo, Glasgow's Southside

I always find it mental that Aberdeen has so much money and yet is such an utterly shite city.