Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

Motherwell is a bit of a hole.

With the exception of 2 small shops, the rest of the town centre is occupied and busy. This can't be said for the majority of Scottish Towns. Additionally, there are still new housing estates being built and major expansion plans ahead for the redevelopment of the former Ravenscraig site.

Probably one of the hick towns in Ayrshire.

Cumnock, carrick, where to start. Is there any bit where they are not into sex withing the bounds of consanguinity in that whole (hole?) county?

Fudge is spot on, it's much worse living in a picturesque little village with absolutely nothing to do than it is living in a larger place with plenty of facilities and some bad areas.

These awards are invariably judging on 'carbuncle' architecture, but who really cares about that as long as you've got decent supermarkets, shops, pubs etc? I lived in a village with nothing in it (except problem families getting rehomed away from Ayr) for far too long. It had a nice National Trust castle with plenty of scenery, but that gets old after the third visit. Then what?

Fudge is spot on, it's much worse living in a picturesque little village with absolutely nothing to do than it is living in a larger place with plenty of facilities and some bad areas.

These awards are invariably judging on 'carbuncle' architecture, but who really cares about that as long as you've got decent supermarkets, shops, pubs etc? I lived in a village with nothing in it (except problem families getting rehomed away from Ayr) for far too long. It had a nice National Trust castle with plenty of scenery, but that gets old after the third visit. Then what?

Pretty much spot on, but I suppose living in a wee village isn't too bad if you are within reasonable distance of bigger towns or cities. We've got a couple of local shops (for local people) but we are practically joined onto Musselburgh where there is a Tesco etc, and ten minutes drive from fort kinnaird

Edited by philpy

One dreads to think what "old" Cumnock is like, in that case.

'Old ' Cumnock is grim, but not even close to being on the same level as New Cumnock

Go to the Garden centre and spend your day in the Lime Tree Coffee Shop, organise a visit to see the local quarry?

I'm going to raise a nomination for Maybole. Should be the number one priority of any Scottish Government to by pass the place so none of the civilised world has to see how evolution has missed that particular part of the world :ph34r:

He's got a point, but then you look at some of the places in Fife. Naturally, Methil is at the pinnacle of the shit-town mountain. You genuinely get the feeling that it wouldn't have looked out of place in Yugoslavia of the early 1990s.

However, Kirkcaldy deserves a special mention. Some areas of it are nice enough, I'll give it that. But in terms of things to do it is absolutely brutal. I only ever head along for the football nowadays. The town center has been decimated by the retail park up the back of the town. A trip down the mercat shopping center leaves you questioning how one place can acquire so many jaikies and old folk. You have a couple of clubs, one of which is pretty much infamous around about Scotland.

Whilst Kilmarnock is crying out for a lick of paint and a cuddle, it's by no stretch of the imagination the worst place.

Irvine's Rivergate Shopping Centre has more jakeballs per capita than just about any place I've ever visited.

And, as has been mentioned, New Cumnock has to be seen to be believed. It is a depressed, vapid, vaccuous, empty, dead, soul-less, joy-free hell hole. I have NEVER seen the sun shine on New Cumnock. I have NEVER seen anyone smile in New Cumnock. It's like someone sucked the last bit of good mood out the place in about 1987.