Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

It's a stop on the main train route between the two biggest cities in Scotland so I'm surprised you haven't heard of it.

I can understand this but I'm from Perth so I've never taken a train from Glasgow to Edinburgh or vice versa

I can understand this but I'm from Perth so I've never taken a train from Glasgow to Edinburgh or vice versa

I have a dislike for Doncaster for similar reasons. Croy isn’t a bad place in fairness there just isn’t much there, it has a decent local shop IIRC.

7 minutes ago, Crroma said:
1 hour ago, Darren said:
It's a stop on the main train route between the two biggest cities in Scotland so I'm surprised you haven't heard of it.

Glasgow to Perth and vice versa goes through it.  In fact Galsgow to pretty much anywhere significant north of Glasgow goes through it.

My folks and wee brother live in Fife, and i have to say that there are many gems in the East Nuek and i have some good mates there, but there are many many many more utter shiteholes in the rest of Fife. Kennoway/Thornton/Glenrothes should be avoided at all cost.

However, the winner for me has to be Linwood...an absolute fucking abortion of a  hellhole. 

My folks and wee brother live in Fife, and i have to say that there are many gems in the East Nuek and i have some good mates there, but there are many many many more utter shiteholes in the rest of Fife. Kennoway/Thornton/Glenrothes should be avoided at all cost.
However, the winner for me has to be Linwood...an absolute fucking abortion of a  hellhole. 

No more

6 hours ago, VanCityHibee said:

Fife definitely has a variety of almost everything.

On the one hand it's the daddy's boys and blokes dressed as 70s pimps golfers of St Andrews, the Fence Records culture/ Edinburgh lawyer retirees of the East Neuk, then one or two nice bits in central Dunfermline, Falkland Palace, the aspirational 'keys on the floor' commuter burb of Dalgety Bay and even some nice parts with DD postcodes overlooking the Tay.

......to the other extreme and the likes of Methil and various Sevconian-infested derelict ex-mining communities where corrugated iron shutters are the norm - what is it Ian Rankin refers to when Rebus heads home, the ABCD villages? - they always sound especially grim

Edited by tarapoa

11 hours ago, VanCityHibee said:

Methil and Windygates up to Kennoway area and Glenrothes, Thorton, Ballingry and towards Oakley are utter dumps that would be best served being demolished.

If you were coming to up to Fife I'd suggest North East Fife like St Andrews and Cupar then down to the East Neuk like Pittenweem and Anstruther where you could have a nice afternoon out.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

One thing I've learned from this thread is that Scotland isn't that bad.  Some of these places that folk are touting as hell on earth are far from it, just your usual grey looking Scottish town with some schemey bits thrown in for good measure.

If Scotland had a warmer climate It would be the most popular country on Earth. Imagine how much businessman and wealthy folk would pay for a villa on Loch Lomond or Loch Ness with warm sun from April-October.

One thing I've learned from this thread is that Scotland isn't that bad.  Some of these places that folk are touting as hell on earth are far from it, just your usual grey looking Scottish town with some schemey bits thrown in for good measure.
We are a self depreciating lot us scots

Saw this piece in the Scotsman

https://www.scotsman.com/business/these-are-the-scottish-regions-with-the-highest-and-lowest-average-weekly-earnings-1-4877133?page=8

Interesting that Dumfries & Galloway, Borders and Angus rank so low - but all returned Tory MPs.  I thought it's because they had more money than sense in these places.

Edited by tarapoa

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Aberdeen looks nice on that one day every 5 years that its sunny

The east coast is the sunny side of the country................many's a time I've admired the splendour of the sparkling silver city and sapphire blue North Sea from the warmth of a car, only to get out and it's also blaan a hoolie that cuts you in two........