Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

On 23/01/2019 at 08:22, milton75 said:

I was reading about this just a few weeks ago. Up until 2001 you'd be correct, but since then it's risen year on year. According to the council's figures - "621,020 in mid-2017, a rise of almost 6,000 from a year previously, and significantly above the number of 578,710 people living in the city in 2001. This shows a rise of almost 7.5% in 16 years."
That's obviously just the "city" core, and not the wiser conurbation though. What I hadn't realised until recently was that a large part of the population decline wasn't just down to the New Towns being built, but also simply redrawing of the city boundaries by various governments.

Looking back at it, I think most people would agree that the new town programme was not a great success, and neither were many of the 1960-70s demolition and replacement schemes. There's no getting away from the fact that much of the housing stock was in poor repair, particularly in the areas worst hit by bombing and so on, but with hindsight it seems tragic that rather than renovating miles and miles of Victorian tenement stock they instead chose to bulldoze and replace with high-rises or New Towns. Even notorious areas like the Gorbals had some beautifully built and quite grand tenements. They may have been slums inside, but the core fabric could have been retained and refurbished.

If you ever watch any 70s or early 80s London films or tv you’ll see big houses in south London that were “slums”, squats etc and now worth millions. Real shame they way they bulldozed so many nice old buildings here. I suppose the intentions were good as my folks got a new high rise flat in East Kilbride and thought it was space age stuff. 

On 1/23/2019 at 08:22, milton75 said:

I was reading about this just a few weeks ago. Up until 2001 you'd be correct, but since then it's risen year on year. According to the council's figures - "621,020 in mid-2017, a rise of almost 6,000 from a year previously, and significantly above the number of 578,710 people living in the city in 2001. This shows a rise of almost 7.5% in 16 years."
That's obviously just the "city" core, and not the wiser conurbation though. What I hadn't realised until recently was that a large part of the population decline wasn't just down to the New Towns being built, but also simply redrawing of the city boundaries by various governments.

For those of us from outwith the area that regarding everything in that whole bit as Glasgow - this population is probably more reflective.

agglom.PNG

On 23/01/2019 at 11:30, Darren said:

One of a few good boozers in the area. Hopefully the abomination that is Koelschip Yard closes down soon and is turned into somewhere a bit more palatable.

I hate the Koelschip Yard. I like a craft beer occasionally but I have some friends that are obsessed with it who sit there all night drinking expensive sour beer that tastes like feet. It's all a bit much.

5 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

I hate the Koelschip Yard. I like a craft beer occasionally but I have some friends that are obsessed with it who sit there all night drinking expensive sour beer that tastes like feet. It's all a bit much.

It's not that it sells craft beer - I don't mind the Hanging Bat in Edinburgh, for example - it's just the utter pretentiousness of the place. Although I shouldn't complain too much, my flat has soared in value since I bought it two years ago.

42 minutes ago, Darren said:

It's not that it sells craft beer - I don't mind the Hanging Bat in Edinburgh, for example - it's just the utter pretentiousness of the place. Although I shouldn't complain too much, my flat has soared in value since I bought it two years ago.

I totally agree. I quite like the Hanging Bat too - I've had a couple of good nights there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 15:34, Highland Capital said:

The hotels at the waterfront face away from the water. What?!

I agree with that. I might not be correct but I read, with regard to the High Street in Dumbarton which is also built back from the river, that this was a deliberate design due to the strong and cold winds blowing in from the water. Building back from the edge meant buildings on both sides of the road, hence protection from the elements. It was protection from flooding also. That was dumbarton's case but I'll happily stand corrected if Fort William was designed for a different reason. Irrespective, it still resulted in what could be beautiful waterfronts looking grim.

47 minutes ago, RockMusic said:

I agree with that. I might not be correct but I read, with regard to the High Street in Dumbarton which is also built back from the river, that this was a deliberate design due to the strong and cold winds blowing in from the water. Building back from the edge meant buildings on both sides of the road, hence protection from the elements. It was protection from flooding also. That was dumbarton's case but I'll happily stand corrected if Fort William was designed for a different reason. Irrespective, it still resulted in what could be beautiful waterfronts looking grim.

And, as proved for the umpteenth time yesterday, the buildings nearest the Leven still get flooded.

46 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

And, as proved for the umpteenth time yesterday, the buildings nearest the Leven still get flooded.

Indeed, I don't know why the council don't build a 3 foot wall along the quayside to replace the metal railings that don't prevent the movement of water.

7 minutes ago, RockMusic said:

Indeed, I don't know why the council don't build a 3 foot wall along the quayside to replace the metal railings that don't prevent the movement of water.

The water just comes up through the drains though, so unless they fit all the drains with one-way valves, there's no point.

Here's me and some colleagues mopping out the Halifax in 1990, just for nostalgia.

image.png.4c4d3ac2df263f1b2059cfdf3c2489ff.png

12 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
40 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:
Nope, I was in the twin sweeper role that day.
I'll let folk have a bit of fun working out which one.

Far right?

B r always struck me as being fairly liberal...