Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

Govanhill has the benefit of the creeping gentrification of Strathbungo. Unfortunately at the other side, Mount Florida isn't what it was and looks a bit run down.

Govanhill has always been a place where immigrants end up. Many have been desperate to improve themselves and move on. Some of the current incomers perhaps have a few more challenges to overcome.

Hopefully the work being done will bring the area back from where it was / is.

I once met former Arbroath manager Dave Baikie. He said that Jim McLean once told him that you should never sign a player who grew up north of Dundee as they are all puny shitebags with no character or hunger for success.
Hailing from a shite town south of the Tay makes you a better footballer apparently. :rolleyes:

Barry Robson’s from Inverurie and tended to take no prisoners.

Then there was Ross Tokely or even Scott McKenna, from Kirriemuir, who lives on raw mince.

3 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Then there was Ross Tokely or even Scott McKenna, from Kirriemuir, who lives on raw mince.

Simmie was brought up in Newmachar.  Neale Cooper in Aberdeen itself.  McLean's Utd walked all over that 80s Dons team of course.  :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Yeah. Colin Hendry and Dennis Law were the first two that I thought of.

If anything. It just confirms that Jim McLean is full of shit.

11 hours ago, milton75 said:

I think Cessnock will be up and coming shortly. There's a gradual pincer effect going on, with loads of development to the West in Govan and to the East in Gorbals/Tradeston. If I had the cash I'd be buying whole streets of tenements and doing them up there. I reckon some of them could be got for buttons.

A lot of the tenements are in some state of disrepair, whole blocks around Ibrox St and Elizabeth St. It's a cracking location for access to town and finnieston and apart from the staunchness it's fine. A wasteland for pubs, coffee and nice shops though, I've been visiting regularly for a decade and it's barely changed, a slight increase in young people looking for cheap digs. Glasgow gentrificarion happens at a glacial pace.

Stirling, while having some fine historical landmarks and great external scenery is, by and large a fucking complete dive, mainly facilitated by the local planners and council who have completely fucked up the town centre, leading to swathes of empty shops, mountains of rubbish lying on the streets for days, anti motorist attitudes that would make Edinburgh blush (whilst a funeral was taking place at St Mary's chapel recently wardens snuck up and ticketed dozens of cars who hadn't paid & displayed due to a faulty ticket machine).
The town centre and immediate surroundings are a fucking embarrassment, junkies and neds have free run of the place.

Falkirk, in a nutshell.

49 minutes ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

A lot of the tenements are in some state of disrepair, whole blocks around Ibrox St and Elizabeth St. It's a cracking location for access to town and finnieston and apart from the staunchness it's fine. A wasteland for pubs, coffee and nice shops though, I've been visiting regularly for a decade and it's barely changed, a slight increase in young people looking for cheap digs. Glasgow gentrificarion happens at a glacial pace.

Easy to get to the west end and the city centre from Cessnock, Finnieston is a wee bit more awkward. I think Finnieston is pretty crap, anyway.

I can’t remember if I mentioned it earlier in the thread and I can’t be bothered looking to see if someone else has, but Fort William. Everything is in it’s favour. The journey to it in any direction is stunning and it’s in such a picturesque location yet it’s such a dump.

3 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I can’t remember if I mentioned it earlier in the thread and I can’t be bothered looking to see if someone else has, but Fort William. Everything is in it’s favour. The journey to it in any direction is stunning and it’s in such a picturesque location yet it’s such a dump.

Agreed - they've got what could be a world class waterfront and instead they've shoved a dual carriageway right along it with big car parks and concrete 60s buildings next to it.

Maybe it is just the contours of the land that's forced them to build the road there - but for such a focal point of a wide area of tourism, it could be a lot better.

9 hours ago, Darren said:

Easy to get to the west end and the city centre from Cessnock, Finnieston is a wee bit more awkward. I think Finnieston is pretty crap, anyway.

Really? I loved Finnieston when living in Glasgow. Basically a long strip of quality restaurants, cafes and bars.

34 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Really? I loved Finnieston when living in Glasgow. Basically a long strip of quality restaurants, cafes and bars.

I think I just got bored of it. There's a few gems but it's mainly overpriced and over-rated.

11 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Isn't the thing about Glasgow that it's spent the best part of a century shrinking in population so there is not as much pressure on prices to rise as somewhere like Edinburgh which is growing quite rapidly?

Exactly, the population is stable now but Glasgow is only one of two cities anywhere that used to have over a million living there but now has less (the other is Detroit). So there's loads of spare land and no influx of people to fill it. So Tradeston lies a mess for decades, Dennistoun and Shawlands have been on the cusp of gentrification for decades, cessnock and maryhill should be ripe for gentrification but again there's not enough folk there to do it. The only place that took off rapid was finnieston and that's mainly cause they built the hydro.

3 hours ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

Exactly, the population is stable now but Glasgow is only one of two cities anywhere that used to have over a million living there but now has less (the other is Detroit). So there's loads of spare land and no influx of people to fill it. So Tradeston lies a mess for decades, Dennistoun and Shawlands have been on the cusp of gentrification for decades, cessnock and maryhill should be ripe for gentrification but again there's not enough folk there to do it. The only place that took off rapid was finnieston and that's mainly cause they built the hydro.

As a local I'm a bit biased, but I'd say that Strathbungo has definitely become more gentrified over the past 5-6 years. Not at the rate of Finnieston, but there's a steady influx of smart/trendy shops, bars, and restaurants popping up in the place of things that previously weren't anything notable (off the top of my head I can think of three currently-unused shops getting done up with the type of businesses you'd associate with gentrification set to move in). It's borne out by property prices, which I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit chuffed about.

We used to rent in Finnieston, and one of the things that appealed to us about Strathbungo when we bought there was that it reminded us of Finnieston 10-15 years ago. Strathbungo has more of a community feel though: a less transient population, people putting down roots and wanting to improve the area, etc. 

Edited by Adamski