Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

As someone who moved to Kilmarnock a couple of years ago I can safely say it is a half-decent place to live. Certainly better than a lot of other towns in Ayrshire as it has everything in it that you could need. Of course the town has suffered from M77/Silverburn which has taken a lot of custom out of the town but in general Kilmarnock is quite a good town.

As with a lot of towns ( in Ayrshire anyway ) Kilmarnock seems to struggle due the local council wanting to charge people an arm and a leg to park in the main street or local area.............and driving people away.

So on the one hand they charge people to park, but on the other they drive them away. Can't make much money at that sort of caper...

I have some sympathy with the article.

A walk down King Street in Kilmarnock on dole day when it's raining and cold is really depressing.

I've seen Marvin and his hangers on strutting up and down there like they own the place, too.

Sad.

Worst places I have been to are Rigside, Whitecross and Tarbrax. God knows why anyone would stay in any of them.

Spot on.

A Glasgow based lawyer representing a client from Rigside once warned me to be careful when visiting his client because "they eat their own weans up there".

:lol:

I have some sympathy with the article.

A walk down King Street in Kilmarnock on dole day when it's raining and cold is really depressing.

I've seen Marvin and his hangers on strutting up and down there like they own the place, too.

Sad.

There's not much that can be done about the drug addicts littering the town centre.

Kilmarnock isn't even the worst town in Ayrshire mind you. Stevenston, New Cumnock, Kilbirnie and Irvine are much worse.

It is pretty awful in places - a series of poor decisions by town planners and councillors in years gone past has resulted in a poorly designed town centre.

Spot on.

A Glasgow based lawyer representing a client from Rigside once warned me to be careful when visiting his client because "they eat their own weans up there".

:lol:

As previously mentioned by many, I wouldn't know Rigside existed had it not been for this site... and that's something (trying not to be too big headed about Scottish geography).

As ever people completely overlooking the fact that most medium-to-large Scottish towns are much of a muchness - there's not much to do, some shite parts, some really nice parts, and crime isn't really a big deal.

The worst places to live are schemes either within cities or on the outskirts (Possilpark, Parkhead, Ferguslie, Niddrie) or shitey inbred villages in the arse end of nowhere with no escape (Fallin, High Valleyfield, Merkinch, Shortlees, Newton Stewart, etc).

Other than that it's all one big cockwaving contest. "We've got a new cinema", "aye but we've got a bowling alley", "your high street is shite", etc.

This.

Most places have their good and bad spots (even Kirkcaldy).

Methil is pretty high up the list. Parkhead is probably the only place in Scotland I've genuinely feared for my safety though.

The only place I know where you pay kids a pound or two NOT to have your car vandalised (where "I'll look after your car" = "I'll f*** off and just leave it alone"). Clever business come to think about it.

As ever people completely overlooking the fact that most medium-to-large Scottish towns are much of a muchness - there's not much to do, some shite parts, some really nice parts, and crime isn't really a big deal.

Agree with this.

Having been brought up in Greenock, studied in (and later commuted to) Paisley and seen a fair bit of Kilmarnock over the last number of years - I'd say these three are pretty much clones of each other.

Nice in parts, but by god the grim parts are REALLY grim.

So on the one hand they charge people to park, but on the other they drive them away. Can't make much money at that sort of caper...

They don't even offer a bloody park and ride service, the c***s!!!!!!

There's not much that can be done about the drug addicts littering the town centre.

Kilmarnock isn't even the worst town in Ayrshire mind you. Stevenston, New Cumnock, Kilbirnie and Irvine are much worse.

It is pretty awful in places - a series of poor decisions by town planners and councillors in years gone past has resulted in a poorly designed town centre.

Topped by Dalry, town doesn't even have a petrol station FFS.

In terms of the junkies............yes every town has them but why Kilmarnock's choose to hang around the centre of the town is beyond me. If I was in that state I would keep myself well hidden.

Edited by Dindeleux