Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

Gentlemen,

I give you,

Denny.

_49160123_denny.jpg

carbunclenomination_299.jpg

That could be 99% of any town or city in Scotland that voted in Labour councils reflex fashion for fifty unbroken years, had utility housing & shopping complexes slobbered up by whoever gave the biggest backhanders to the housing convener & planning committee chair.

As ever people completely overlooking the fact that most medium-to-large Scottish towns are much of a muchness - there's not much to do, some shite parts, some really nice parts, and crime isn't really a big deal.

Spot on. Places like Greenock and Kilmarnock have some absolutely fucking horrendous areas but they aren't wholly like that and towns that size are guaranteed to have some nice parts. Also when this is discussed on P&B, a fair number of posters will be mentioning towns they've only visited to go to the football so they don't really have an idea what the place is like, especially as football stadiums tend to be in the shittier areas of towns. I've only ever been to Dundee to go to the football so from what I've seen of it it could well be one of the worst places in Scotland, but I'd never mention it in a discussion like this because there are obviously nice areas elsewhere that I just haven't seen.

Similarly you go to a St. Mirren game you're going straight into Feegie, you go to a Morton game you're going through Port Glasgow and right into the East End. Take some areas of these towns in isolation and they're among the worst parts of Scotland, but you can't apply that to the whole place and it's far better to live somewhere that has a mix of good and awful areas than a wee place with no redeeming features like Maybole or Cumnock.

'Old ' Cumnock is grim, but not even close to being on the same level as New Cumnock

Go to the Garden centre and spend your day in the Lime Tree Coffee Shop, organise a visit to see the local quarry?

I'm going to raise a nomination for Maybole. Should be the number one priority of any Scottish Government to by pass the place so none of the civilised world has to see how evolution has missed that particular part of the world :ph34r:

I'm surprised Maybole didn't come up sooner. Been in it a couple of times and it is soul destroying.

especially as football stadiums tend to be in the shittier areas of towns.

Kilmarnock being the exception to this. Anyone solely visiting Rugby Park will think Kilmarnock is the epitome of leafy suburbia.

Spot on. Places like Greenock and Kilmarnock have some absolutely fucking horrendous areas but they aren't wholly like that and towns that size are guaranteed to have some nice parts. Also when this is discussed on P&B, a fair number of posters will be mentioning towns they've only visited to go to the football so they don't really have an idea what the place is like, especially as football stadiums tend to be in the shittier areas of towns. I've only ever been to Dundee to go to the football so from what I've seen of it it could well be one of the worst places in Scotland, but I'd never mention it in a discussion like this because there are obviously nice areas elsewhere that I just haven't seen.

Similarly you go to a St. Mirren game you're going straight into Feegie, you go to a Morton game you're going through Port Glasgow and right into the East End. Take some areas of these towns in isolation and they're among the worst parts of Scotland, but you can't apply that to the whole place and it's far better to live somewhere that has a mix of good and awful areas than a wee place with no redeeming features like Maybole or Cumnock.

You could argue that about any settlement in Scotland though. Every city, town and village in Scotland has it's fair share of undesirables and social ills. Even a place like Troon, which has an embarrassment of rich people has some particularly nasty undesirables.

Even places like Cumnock and Maybole has some nice bits the same as Greenock, Paisley, Ayr, Kilmarnock etc do. To me the smaller the place the more feeling of community there is. And that gives it more chance of recovering if ever the issues of crime and social ills are ever overcome. When the pits were open some of the mining towns were the proudest communities around. There is no reason they can't ever be that way again, however it requires a massive amount of work to be done. Give people hope, create sustainable jobs, put some investment into the communities, win the battle against drugs. Nowhere is beyond fixing, however as time goes on the feeling of hopelessness becomes more intense, and that is the battle that has to be overcome. Hope vs hopelessness. Give people some hope and they will become more engaged to society.

We appear to be winning the battle against crime at the moment. The worlds never going to be perfect but there is absolutely no reason why any community cannot ever be something that the people who live there, can be proud of.

Guest The Phoenix

Bo'ness.

Only been there once, but I assume from my experience that the locals cut off communication with the outside world several generations ago.

Quite the contrary.

Bo'ness has never actually been connected to the outside world.

However, Kirkcaldy deserves a special mention. Some areas of it are nice enough, I'll give it that. But in terms of things to do it is absolutely brutal. I only ever head along for the football nowadays. The town center has been decimated by the retail park up the back of the town. A trip down the mercat shopping center leaves you questioning how one place can acquire so many jaikies and old folk. You have a couple of clubs, one of which is pretty much infamous around about Scotland.

I'll take this as an example. Kirkcaldy isn't great for things to do, no. But there's a second-tier football club, a British National League ice-hockey club, a professional rugby club, two golf courses, a swimming pool/leisure centre, multiple gyms, two astroturf pitches, a couple of indoor pitches, numerous public parks, retail park, a poor but not terrible town centre, dozens of pubs and clubs, dozens of restaurants, direct transport links within forty minutes to Edinburgh, Dundee, Perth, St Andrews. Would the place be transformed if it had a bowling alley, a cinema and a Nandos? No. It's virtually the same as any other town. I'm no expert on the amenities of, let's say Ayr as it's a similar size, but I'd bet it'll be much the same.

As I said earlier, the worst places to stay are 'schemes' within or on the outskirts of cities, or in a shitey village with nothing to do and nowhere to go. Overall most towns are much of a muchness, we just tend to overstate how bad places are if we live there/near it, or if we have bad experiences there.

Had the misfortune of visiting many god awfull towns through work and football in the past few years.

Saltcoats, Dalry, Patna, Dalmellington, Linwood, Denny, Methil, Cowdenbeath, Lochgilphead, Rothesay and Girvan.

All are dreadful places but the worst town in Scotland for me would have to be Campbelltown. Takes an age to get there and when u eventually do arrive it's like the 1970's. I'm sure they were mourning the passing of Elvis when I was last there in March.

That could be 99% of any town or city in Scotland that voted in Labour councils reflex fashion for fifty unbroken years, had utility housing & shopping complexes slobbered up by whoever gave the biggest backhanders to the housing convener & planning committee chair.

Although Denny is indeed a shitehole, that photo is years old and most if that is flattened now.

Large chunks of the central belt would be improved immensely with liberal application of napalm. Wishaw, Cambusnethan, Craigneuk, Newmains, Harthill, Cambusnethan, Coatbridge, Airdrie, Holytown, Shotts.

Just airlift the time capsule out and the rest can go.

Bo'ness.

Only been there once, but I assume from my experience that the locals cut off communication with the outside world several generations ago.

At the risk of dog's abuse from my fraternal football chums, I will stick up for the place.

Like any number of ex mining communities it has struggled to deal with the loss of its industry. That incudes its docks industry and iron foundry industry. It also struggles because the main road through the place doesn't go through the town centre.

However, it has a many outstanding large, older houses and a decent stock of relatively new housing at lower prices than Linlithgow. It is easy to access the motorway or railway and it has a decent leisure centre. The pubs are not great but I've been to a lot worse places than Bo'ness. Its football team is honking right enough but that is compensated for by having a Lidl.

You got chopped off mid sentence when talking about local shops for local people.

That was my fault. Had to stop typing to serve a customer, stuck my phone in my pocket without putting the screen lock on.

Guest The Phoenix

Useless information, but the worlds first ever test tube boy hailed from Denny. I know this because I went to Uni with him.

Being cruel b*****ds we used to ask him if he enjoyed a womb with a view.

That's actually quite interesting.

He got his degree and is now working for the MOD.

Were you as successful? :unsure2:

That's actually quite interesting.

He got his degree and is now working for the MOD.

Were you as successful?  :unsure2:

Yes, but not working for the MOD thankfully. He's in the Merchant Navy to be precise.

He's a good lad, Louise Brown just beat him to being the first ever though, so he's not quite as famous as her.

Once I went to what I thought was a house party a friend was having in Irvine.

However it turned into a night out at the local night club with a bunch of unemployed, homeless ex squadies who were all sleeping on sofas at various relatives houses and who were tanked up to the tits on Buckie. In the taxi they chanted "Fight! f**k! Fight! f**k! Fight! f**k!" like some kind of battle cry and generally acted incredibly aggressive and mental. Although not confirmed I got the distinct impression I was the only passenger in the taxi that hadn't killed before making it one of the most terrifying experiences of my life.

I was genuinely resigned to requiring a casualty ward blood transfusion before the night was out, if I was lucky, before I even got out the taxi. Then it occured to me that these guys were 'my friends' and there might be others just like them with less than the very small connection I had with these guys.

When I got to the club, the name of which I forget, I was forced to get unbelievable tanked up myself just to get through a seemingly endless night of Survivor and Bryan Adams songs played at 2000 decibels, sexually voracious ugly slappers and a host of spilled my drink/you looking at my burd dagger carriers. Everyone was split up at the club but the squadies would occasionally bump into me and ask if I was getting "any trouble" or wanted anyone "done in".

The squadies all got shags off the sisters of their last shags and disappeared leaving me on my own to deck two metal fans in leather jackets and studs who tried to rough me up at the taxi rank. What can I say, the 'spirit of the place' had latched on to me. It was only the third, and last time, I have ever hit anyone as an adult.

With this in mind I nominate Irvine as the worst town in Scotland.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!