Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

Not sure if I've posted already in this thread years ago but East Kilbride is the worst place I've ever been.

It's full of the most bizarre people ever, like the locals in the league of gentlemen.

I worked in a supermarket there in my younger days and the police had actually told us that we weren't allowed to sell frosty Jack claims cider as it sent the locals crazy. Every other cider was fine but frosty Jack was a red alert zone for some reason.

On 14/02/2019 at 13:38, ShaggysBeard said:

I worked in Kelly's of Cults when I was a student.

A woman was buying fennel and I had to ask what type of vegetable it was to key it in. She replied "you must get mother to give a tutorial in vegetables dear".

Pfft. Fennel. I can buy Fennel in Dumbarton. And Celeriac.

Giffnock had a Wholefoods store.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

Aberdeen was class as a student, but once you leave that bubble and are faced with the insufferable oil merchants and their ridiculous accents, you realise what a tiny, isolated wee goldfish bowl the city is.  I enjoyed it but was mightily relieved to move back to Edinburgh.  Aberdonians appear to think everyone knows who they are - they really, really don't.  A complete drop in the ocean as far as cities around the world go with little influence.  

Edited by AberdeenHibee

Mentioned it on the Do You Like The Scottish thread aswell, that the people in Aberdeen seem very unwelcoming and sometimes just plain rude compared to other parts of the UK. I got the feeling from them that because I had moved up there for work I was taking a job off someone in the area.  

The guys I worked with who were the same age as me only talked about cars. They all drove Focus ST’s or shitey jumped up Corsas. 2 of them had been involved in quite serious car crashes in the 10 months I was there. It seems there was nothing else for them to do apart from rally their motors around the back roads. 

ETA - Also the naan breads from the Indian restaurants are tiny in Aberdeen. Like a third of the size of naans in Glasgow. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

1 minute ago, resk said:

I don't really have any conclusive evidence on this matter, but I was born in Aberdeen, and I'm a total fkin cockpiece. So there may be some truth in what's being said here.

There is a possibility that I was just that much of a p***k that they didn’t want to speak to me. 

There is definitely a different mentality up there compared to the central belt though, it’s quite hard to explain. 

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

Mentioned it on the Do You Like The Scottish thread aswell, that the people in Aberdeen seem very unwelcoming and sometimes just plain rude compared to other parts of the UK. I got the feeling from them that because I had moved up there for work I was taking a job off someone in the area.  

The guys I worked with who were the same age as me only talked about cars. They all drove Focus ST’s or shitey jumped up Corsas. 2 of them had been involved in quite serious car crashes in the 10 months I was there. It seems there was nothing else for them to do apart from rally their motors around the back roads. 

ETA - Also the naan breads from the Indian restaurants are tiny in Aberdeen. Like a third of the size of naans in Glasgow. 

large portions at takeaways are a well known marker of commonness. Aberdonian portions of chips are rarely into double figures; it's positively aristocratic.

On 15/02/2019 at 23:37, AberdeenHibee said:

Aberdeen was class as a student, but once you leave that bubble and are faced with the insufferable oil merchants and their ridiculous accents, you realise what a tiny, isolated wee goldfish bowl the city is.  I enjoyed it but was mightily relieved to move back to Edinburgh.  Aberdonians appear to think everyone knows who they are - they really, really don't.  A complete drop in the ocean as far as cities around the world go with little influence.  

Never lived in Glasgow :(

Aberdonians appear to think everyone knows who they are - they really, really don't.  A complete drop in the ocean as far as cities around the world go with little influence.  

We are one of the world’s energy cities - which is why many Aberdonians could find their way round Houston, Calgary, Perth WA, Stavanger or Baku - but know piss all about Wishaw, Kilmarnock, Dalkeith or Greenock.  

The relative remoteness from the more heavily populated parts of the country is a good thing - imagine taking a wee drive out your city and ending up in Coatbridge or Cumbernauld.

52 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

We are one of the world’s energy cities - which is my many Aberdonians could find their way round Houston, Calgary, Perth WA, Stavanger or Baku - but know piss all about Wishaw, Kilmarnock, Dalkeith or Greenock. 

The relative remoteness from the more heavily populated parts of the country is a good thing - imagine taking a wee drive out your city and ending up in Coatbridge or Cumbernauld.

Imagine taking a wee drive out of Aberdeen and ending up in Peterhead or Fraserburgh...or even worse Ballater or Aboyne

20 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

Imagine taking a wee drive out of Aberdeen and ending up in Peterhead or Fraserburgh...or even worse Ballater or Aboyne

I give you the first two - but a trip along Deeside to the eastern side of the Cairngorms National Park is good for anyone's soul.    Cracking part of the world......