Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

Helensburgh.

I used to have fond memories of going there as a wee nipper but the last time I went it was really depressing.

The front was a row of scabby charity shops, bookies, pubs and chippys. There were fat, ugly unhealthy people everywhere.
A terrible place devoid of hope and prosperity. Not a job or a piece of fruit to be seen.

Always considered Newhaven just a bit too quiet and far from the centre for me but that'll change very quickly. Very good option when the trams are connected whenever that'll be.

Loads of development work going on around Ocean Terminal in anticipation of the trams. 

Honest Man have you considered the Joppa end of Portobello? Not for me personally but becoming very popular with ex New Town residents. 

11 hours ago, Cerberus said:

The front was a row of scabby charity shops, bookies, pubs and chippys. There were fat, ugly unhealthy people everywhere.
A terrible place devoid of hope and prosperity. Not a job or a piece of fruit to be seen.

You could link that sentence in bold to just about any small town in Scotland IMO.

You're right on the jobs though, aside from the MoD base that employs over 3,500 people there isn't a job in sight.

Doesn’t [mention]Throbber[/mention] live there?

I’m not far away from there, bit closer to town. I am wanting to buy a house out of town but the value of my flat is going up so much I don’t really want to get rid of it. If I sold it now it would go for £50- £60k more than what I paid for it in 2014.

1 minute ago, throbber said:

I’m not far away from there, bit closer to town. I am wanting to buy a house out of town but the value of my flat is going up so much I don’t really want to get rid of it. If I sold it now it would go for £50- £60k more than what I paid for it in 2014.

Don’t do it. 

6 minutes ago, throbber said:

Property values can go down as well as up.

5 minutes ago, throbber said:

Easier said than done but if you can hold off for a couple of years it'll make a massive difference. See the Ladyboys of Bangkok was going to get set up in Pilrig Park for the Fringe this year, unbelievable how quickly the area's changing. 

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Property values can go down as well as up.

Brexit uncertainty is definitely an issue but the bottom half of Leith Walk is quickly transforming into an extension of the city centre and the tram extension will increase that even further. 

4 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

... the bottom half of Leith Walk is quickly transforming into an extension of the city centre and the tram extension will increase that even further. 

Unless the prices already reflect that.

Edited by welshbairn

Rent it out and and as part of the rental agreement make sure it’s free all of August each year and you’re onto a winner especially if you’re fairly close to town.

12 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Rent it out and and as part of the rental agreement make sure it’s free all of August each year and you’re onto a winner especially if you’re fairly close to town.

Couldn't bring myself to do that personally but if you're looking for best return it's definitely a popular thing to do. 

17 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Or rent it through AirBnB all year round.

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:
1 hour ago, Boostin said:
Couldn't bring myself to do that personally but if you're looking for best return it's definitely a popular thing to do. 

Good man. f**k Airbnb gutting communities.

Oberleutnant @throbber doesn't give a f**k.