Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

On 11/02/2019 at 12:59, Boostin' Kev said:

Seems like the rental/property business in Edinburgh and Glasgow are a lot different, Leith's basically becoming an extension of the city centre which has its good points and bad ones. Last weekend I arranged a night out on Duke Street which I never imagined I'd do. Never thought I'd recommend people buying in Lochend either. Prices around here are brutal just now, feel bad for people trying to get on the property ladder here if that's what they want. We got lucky getting a very nice place at a better than market price. 

Currently looking for flats in Edinburgh, the prices where I’d like to be are fairly wild.

16 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Currently looking for flats in Edinburgh, the prices where I’d like to be are fairly wild.

Properties around here are ridiculously priced  now imo, but having said that, there's no place in the UK I'd rather live so that comes at a cost I suppose. I know people in their early 20s earning around the living wage that have been viewing small 2 bed tenement flats in a part of Leith traditionally seemed as very notorious at close to £1k pcm rent. 1 bed tenement flats between Leith Walk and Easter Road have been getting advertised at offers over 115k and selling at close to 150.  Where have you been looking?  For a first time buyer I'd recommend Gorgie if you didn't fancy Lochend but that won't last for much longer, a lot of people are recognising that prices there are desirable.

9 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It’s not too bad though as even with the wildly high prices a mortgage will still cost me less than renting as I’m doing just now.

Also living in London helped give me a bit of perspective on ridiculous house/rent prices!

It's nothing compared to London prices  but it's on the rise very quickly.

14 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It’s not too bad though as even with the wildly high prices a mortgage will still cost me less than renting as I’m doing just now.

Also living in London helped give me a bit of perspective on ridiculous house/rent prices!

Been there with the London prices and its thankfully not as bad here ! Good thing is though you can’t really go wrong as the value only goes one way, especially if you are prepared to take on a bit of renovation work. 

3 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Properties around here are ridiculously priced  now imo, but having said that, there's no place in the UK I'd rather live so that comes at a cost I suppose. I know people in their early 20s earning around the living wage that have been viewing small 2 bed tenement flats in a part of Leith traditionally seemed as very notorious at close to £1k pcm rent. 1 bed tenement flats between Leith Walk and Easter Road have been getting advertised at offers over 115k and selling at close to 150.  Where have you been looking?  For a first time buyer I'd recommend Gorgie if you didn't fancy Lochend but that won't last for much longer, a lot of people are recognising that prices there are desirable.

Looking at Morningside/Bruntsfield/Merchiston/Tollcross area or Bonnington/Canonmills/Broughton Road type area. I admit I’m a bit of a snob in terms of area, I’m happy paying more for a nicer area tbh.

14 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Looking at Morningside/Bruntsfield/Merchiston/Tollcross area or Bonnington/Canonmills/Broughton Road type area. I admit I’m a bit of a snob in terms of area, I’m happy paying more for a nicer area tbh.

What kind of things in the area/atmosphere are you looking for?   Wouldn't recommend morningside at all or merchiston really, Bruntsfield and Tollcross are good imo. I much prefer Leith tbh. Assuming you have a higher budget than most I'd recommend Polwarth as a good place to move to not nearly as expensive as morningside or merchiston and very close by and well located to the centre, south of the canal is nice. I live very close to to the Bonnington/Broughton/Bellevue etc areas would definitely recommend it, a lot depends if you have kids or not. If you have the cash, then spend as much as you can afford in Edinburgh, it will always be a good investment even with the Brexit uncertainty imo.

Edited by Boostin' Kev

9 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

What kind of things in the area/atmosphere are you looking for?   Wouldn't recommend morningside at all or merchiston really, Bruntsfield and Tollcross are good imo. I much prefer Leith tbh. Assuming you have a higher budget than most I'd recommend Polwarth as a good place to move to not nearly as expensive as morningside or merchiston and very close by and well located to the centre, south of the canal is nice. I live very close to to the Bonnington/Broughton/Bellevue etc areas would definitely recommend it, a lot depends if you have kids or not. If you have the cash, then spend as much as you can afford in Edinburgh, it will always be a good investment even with the Brexit uncertainty imo.

Just looking for somewhere that’s got plenty of cafes/bars/restaurants and minimal number of bams. Currently live in Morningside and it ticks all those boxes. Polwarth looks okay from driving through it but not anywhere near as much about the immediate area, not spent much time in Leith.

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Just looking for somewhere that’s got plenty of cafes/bars/restaurants and minimal number of bams. Currently live in Morningside and it ticks all those boxes. Polwarth looks okay from driving through it but not anywhere near as much about the immediate area, not spent much time in Leith.

I don't mind some bams dodging about, morningside is a bit too old dear for me but very desirable amongst a lot of people. If you had the cash the cash to buy there, I'd recommend Stockbridge instead, prices won't be too different but properties might be a bit smaller.  You probably won't like living in Leith tbh, it's very different to morningside,  but has much better cafes, bars and restaurants and you're not far away where you are.

Just now, Boostin' Kev said:

I don't mind some bams dodging about, morningside is a bit too old dear for me but very desirable amongst a lot of people. If you had the cash the cash to buy there, I'd recommend Stockbridge instead, prices won't be too different but properties might be a bit smaller.  You probably won't like living in Leith tbh, it's very different to morningside,  but has much better cafes, bars and restaurants and you're not far away where you are.

Stockbridge seemed a fair bit more expensive/properties were tiny. Not looking specifically to stay in Morningside but if something good was available I’d be happy enough - would prefer Bruntsfield tbh. I think you’re right about Leith though, not spent much time there but there’s definitely an ‘edge’ to it. It’s a bit like Finnieston was before it got properly gentrified. If I knew it would be like Finnieston in a few years I’d probably go there, but there’s still quite a bit of shitehole about it from what I’ve seen. That being said I’m still looking there.

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Stockbridge seemed a fair bit more expensive/properties were tiny. Not looking specifically to stay in Morningside but if something good was available I’d be happy enough - would prefer Bruntsfield tbh. I think you’re right about Leith though, not spent much time there but there’s definitely an ‘edge’ to it. It’s a bit like Finnieston was before it got properly gentrified. If I knew it would be like Finnieston in a few years I’d probably go there, but there’s still quite a bit of shitehole about it from what I’ve seen. That being said I’m still looking there.

I wouldn't call parts of it a shithole,  even the "earthier" streets are completely fine and have a strong sense of community that you won't find with the blue rinse brigade in morningside. it's regularly mentioned as one of the best places to live in the world but I know what you mean. It has some rough looking parts but in reality they're no problem at all and it's good to have a mixture of people imo.

7 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

I wouldn't call parts of it a shithole,  even the "earthier" streets are completely fine and have a strong sense of community that you won't find with the blue rinse brigade in morningside. it's regularly mentioned as one of the best places to live in the world but I know what you mean. It has some rough looking parts but in reality they're no problem at all and it's good to have a mixture of people imo.

Great Junction St is most definitely a shithole. I know you like the place, and clearly like that ‘earthier’ side, but it’s dreadful. Junkies everywhere last time I was there.

It's really not that bad, I'm surprised you feel that way having lived in London. It's definitely not the same as morningside though and it's not nearly as middle to upper class grandma friendly. It's one of the less desirable areas of Leith but changing very quickly and a 2 bed rental is now up to around £1000 pcm.  I said earlier itt I never thought I'd arrange to have a night out with friends in Duke St/Consitution St but it's happening now.

4 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

It's really not that bad, I'm surprised you feel that way having lived in London. It's definitely not the same as morningside though and it's not nearly as middle to upper class grandma friendly. It's one of the less desirable areas of Leith but changing very quickly and a 2 bed rental is now up to around £1000 pcm.  I said earlier itt I never thought I'd arrange to have a night out with friends in Duke St/Consitution St but it's happening now.

London is absolutely filled with shitehole areas. Some of the nicest bits I would have liked to stay in were right next to utter holes.

Grandma friendly :lol:

6 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

The tram's coming to Leith soon. Newhaven will take off when that happens. There are a lot of under-rated areas north of the east end of Ferry Road too.