Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

11 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

...and the Wallace Monument on Abbey Craig is charming to be seen,
With its rugged rockery and shrubbery green,
It is rather attractive and amazing to the eyesight,
Because it is erected upon such a perpendicular height.

And the town of Stirling occupies a beautiful seat,
And the streets are very clean and neat,
And the shops are beautiful to behold,
Stocked full with goods for the young and old.

And the surrounding country is most lovely to be seen,
Especially in the summer time when Nature’s face in green,
And the beautiful river Forth, rolling on its way,
Is enough to make the tourist’s heart feel light and gay.

As from the Castle he views the scenery below,
His heart will fill with joy all aglow,
And with delight he’ll exclaim, Oh! How grand,
There’s nothing can equal you in fair Scotland.

giphy.gif

Stirling, while having some fine historical landmarks and great external scenery is, by and large a fucking complete dive, mainly facilitated by the local planners and council who have completely fucked up the town centre, leading to swathes of empty shops, mountains of rubbish lying on the streets for days, anti motorist attitudes that would make Edinburgh blush (whilst a funeral was taking place at St Mary's chapel recently wardens snuck up and ticketed dozens of cars who hadn't paid & displayed due to a faulty ticket machine).

The town centre and immediate surroundings are a fucking embarrassment, junkies and neds have free run of the place.

Ive worked with people in impoverished backgrounds all over the West of Scotland and in particular Govanhill, can honestly say the shite posted by the right wing about it is no where near accurate. There are considerably worse areas of Glasgow than Govanhill.

However travelling around the west with junior football I’ve encountered some absolute shite holes that make Saracen look like Beverly Hills, these tend to be ex-mining towns in Ayrshire, Auchinleck, Dalmellington etc. Airdrie is also an absolute shitehole of a place, parts of west lothian are utterly horrific.

On 1/15/2019 at 20:13, alta-pete said:

Basic economics, as suggested above, are the real markers for a Mink map. If you can be within 10mins of a major city centre like Glasgow for £50k, you’re in shitsville.

Or, as the Betting thread might say, that's good value/phree money.

£50K for a 3 apartment flat?  Within a short train/bus ride of central Glasgow?  It's a fucking bargain.

Whatever the stoogies on here say about Glasgow it has 5 academic institutes of note awarding degrees with at least 4 of them being of a certain renown - apologies to those who went to Glasgow Cali.

On 16/01/2019 at 02:37, BillyAnchor said:

My grandfather lived in a slum in Townhead before they moved to Springburn (then a very nice place).  I think they knocked all the slums down pre 70s, in my time in the city it never had a bad reputation.

No Parliamentary Rd these days.

4 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Cowdenbeath,  Cowdenbeath?

Better than Methil but worse than Leith.

Cowdenbeath, Cowdenbeath,

Where's theres nae teeth,

Fingers a'plenty,

As many as twenty

11 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Ive worked with people in impoverished backgrounds all over the West of Scotland and in particular Govanhill, can honestly say the shite posted by the right wing about it is no where near accurate. There are considerably worse areas of Glasgow than Govanhill.

However travelling around the west with junior football I’ve encountered some absolute shite holes that make Saracen look like Beverly Hills, these tend to be ex-mining towns in Ayrshire, Auchinleck, Dalmellington etc. Airdrie is also an absolute shitehole of a place, parts of west lothian are utterly horrific.

I think with Govanhill a part of the problem is that it is very close to the City Centre and very close to some of the most affluent areas of Glasgow, so it appears far worse as a result. It does deserve it's reputation however. Around 2005 or so I worked between Govanhill and Cathcart, one branch being on Allison St, the other on Aikenhead Rd. The difference between the two was light years despite being a 15 minute walk apart. We would close around 5:30pm and the girls working in Govanhill were not allowed to leave the branch on their own, unless we had booked them a taxi and it was waiting at the door, due to the hassle they would get when waiting on the bus. A lot of the residents were dumping rubbish at the close doors, with couches and mattresses left for weeks on end, and quite a few just threw their rubbish out their windows. The number of folk walking about looking like zombies, trying to fund their habits was horrendous also. That was just the area directly around Allison St however. The rest of it, at the time, was pretty much like every other housing scheme in Glasgow. (Awaiting comments from Teuchters about me already describing every scheme in Glasgow).

I think with Govanhill a part of the problem is that it is very close to the City Centre and very close to some of the most affluent areas of Glasgow, so it appears far worse as a result. It does deserve it's reputation however. Around 2005 or so I worked between Govanhill and Cathcart, one branch being on Allison St, the other on Aikenhead Rd. The difference between the two was light years despite being a 15 minute walk apart. We would close around 5:30pm and the girls working in Govanhill were not allowed to leave the branch on their own, unless we had booked them a taxi and it was waiting at the door, due to the hassle they would get when waiting on the bus. A lot of the residents were dumping rubbish at the close doors, with couches and mattresses left for weeks on end, and quite a few just threw their rubbish out their windows. The number of folk walking about looking like zombies, trying to fund their habits was horrendous also. That was just the area directly around Allison St however. The rest of it, at the time, was pretty much like every other housing scheme in Glasgow. (Awaiting comments from Teuchters about me already describing every scheme in Glasgow).

A much troubled place is old Govanhill
I counted its blessings and the total was nill
Maybe because it’s MP is Nic’ Sturgeon
To highlight it’s ills critics need little urging
Yet if you look all over Glasgow’s great and large city
You’ll find other places that are just as bad

23 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

A much troubled place is old Govanhill
I counted its blessings and the total was nill
Maybe because it’s MP is Nic’ Sturgeon
To highlight it’s ills critics need little urging
Yet if you look all over Glasgow’s great and large city
You’ll find other places that are just as bad

Last word should be "Shitty", surely?(airplane.gif)