Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

I don't think it has.  Even going back to the 70s there's been a Glasgow mantra not to confuse Govan (even) with Govanhill or Pollokshields with Pollokshaws.

Thus does Wee Nikla make Govanhill look shite or VV?

I've literally no idea what that means.

My point is very simple. If wee Nic's constituency didn't include Govanhill then we would hear f**k all about it, because it isn't the worst place. Shiteholes around the country and city are not reported on in remotely the same manner. Because they aren't in her constituency.

If her constituency was elsewhere then an area of that constituency would get the same treatment. And Govanhill would suddenly not be an area that you can't walk through at night.

Unfortunately you probably don't get this reported in the Buckfast Advertiser.

15 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I've literally no idea what that means.

My point is very simple. If wee Nic's constituency didn't include Govanhill then we would hear f**k all about it, because it isn't the worst place. Shiteholes around the country and city are not reported on in remotely the same manner. Because they aren't in her constituency.

If her constituency was elsewhere then an area of that constituency would get the same treatment. And Govanhill would suddenly not be an area that you can't walk through at night.

Unfortunately you probably don't get this reported in the Buckfast Advertiser.

Cheap shot, bud.  It's actually the Bucks Free Presbyterian Press .

The point is simple.  Govanhill has been a sink area long before Wee Nikla even was a member of the Junior Orange Lodge.  That you try and pass it off as some sort of denigration of the odious Snippers?  Well you would do that, wouldn't you.

We'll agree to disagree then. Govanhill is far from the worst shitehole in Glasgow yet it gets a ridiculous amount of press coverage for one reason and one reason only.  If wee Nic's constituency included, for example, Castlemilk or Drumchapel then there is all we would hear about. I regularly hear that Govanhill is a 'no go area' from folk that have never actually been there. As a fan of the Allison Arms I regularly walk through there at all times of the day and the night. Never have I felt anything other than comfortable. If I told my Mum and Dad that I did that they'd have a fucking heart attack - just because of the nonsense they have read in The Herald or The Times. 
Govanhill is a different sort of shitehole to Drumchapel and Castlemilk. More inner city squalor than a big radgey scheme. As said, some really bad closes and dem immigants give it the awful reputation.

However, the Ally Arms is of course located in salubrious Strathbungo so your only safety worry there should be drowning in a sea of hipsters.

8 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I used to know a lassie from Alderley Edge, where all the footballers live. She tried to warn me off taking a shortcut from her parents' house to nearby Wilmslow by going through the 'council estate', which was full of undefined danger. Being Muhammad I'm Hard Bruce Lee, I failed to heed her warnings and ventured forth.

Three bedroom detached houses with driveways full of people carriers  :lol:

This is an identical story to when I lived in Salisbury. The whole estate was populated by drug crazed zombies, it would probably end up in my death if I ventured into it.

Safe to say it wasn't remotely like that and I would have quite happily lived there.

Edited by I'm Brian

4 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

This is an interesting point and not sure it's one I'd agree with.  I only spent 2 afternoons looking at Buy to Let places and, whilst you can buy a 2 bedroom for under £60,000, the area really is not very attractive.  The flats themselves are nice (or would be if you spent not so much money on them).  The closes not so much.  Heehaw to do with Wee Nikla.

Again, a contentious point.  Most UK cities have a large (and largely welcome) number of immigrants.  The Govanhill reputation seems to be based around quite a small area of absolute squalor.

I have to disagree to be honest with you. Whilst I fully agree that Govanhill isn't the most attractive area, and is a shithole to be fair, the two things that make the press coverage for there different to the press coverage of every other shithole in the West of Scotland is the high level of immigration, particularly from the EU, and the fact Sturgeon is the MSP. 

If the same square mile of squalor was in a Labour constituency with mostly white Scottish residents it would never get mentioned. We know this because there are loads of them that never get mentioned.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

I have to disagree to be honest with you. Whilst I fully agree that Govanhill isn't the most attractive area, and is a shithole to be fair, the two things that make the press coverage for there different to the press coverage of every other shithole in the West of Scotland is the high level of immigration, particularly from the EU, and the fact Sturgeon is the MSP. 

If the same square mile of squalor was in a Labour constituency with mostly white Scottish residents it would never get mentioned. We know this because there are loads of them that never get mentioned.

"Govanhill is only highlighted because it's Sturgeonville" is pretty pathetic.  The areas has had notoriety long before wee Nikla's time.

BUT GCC needs a swift boot in the pie.  I live in a (relatively) deprived area with a high degree of (largely) welcome immigration and, in the 10 years or so I've been in Wycombe, you can see that the council are trying to tackle some of the social and housing issues.  Even such simple things as dealing with bin collections and keeping the streets cleaner.  On the mornings I walk to work I see the same street cleaners doing their job - and it all adds to some sense of civic pride.

I don't get that same feeling about Glasgow - and certainly not about Govanhill.  Sure, my exposure is scant but but I'd say it's a lack of political will extending over decades.

Edited by The_Kincardine

On 1/11/2019 at 12:42, tarapoa said:

One of the other threads had a surprising amount of people (like me) with a weird obsession for maps.

This is one of the best I have seen - a genuine chance to hover round the country pinpointing posh places and shiteholes based on actual facts and figures.

I'm a bit suspicious of its workings though.

http://simd.scot/2016/#/simd2016/BTTTTTT/14/-4.3014/55.8437/

These streets in Glasgow's Southside are listed as orangey-red. I know someone that lives in this area, and given that they spent over 400k on a semi, I'm not convinced that they're particularly deprived. 

https://goo.gl/maps/rYqLyRG8vKU2

23 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

In terms of Glasgow, I can only echo the sentiments for the area round Saracen Cross. Put a visit to the Brothers Bar on your bucket list - it's like shutting time in the most mental pub you've ever been in in your life at five in the afternoon.

Recently I was at a game up that way, saw a bus as I turned into Saracen St and ran for it. While doing so I felt a bit self-conscious and only figured out why once I was on it...it was the fact that I was passing so many punters on the street with legs missing...I must have run past three or four on my way to the bus stop. It's that kind of place.

Definitely second this. For the best part of a decade I had band practice just off Maryhill rd at 6pm every Monday, came from Bellshill and picked up one of the guys on Alexandra Parade so after that we would cut across and past Saracen Cross. Almost every week without fail there would be some kind of bedlam happening, a fight, someone getting chased, police dashing about etc etc. All of this at half five! Probably the only place I've ever driven through that I would absolutely try and avoid walking through!

10 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Cheap shot, bud.  It's actually the Bucks Free Presbyterian Press .

The point is simple.  Govanhill has been a sink area long before Wee Nikla even was a member of the Junior Orange Lodge.  That you try and pass it off as some sort of denigration of the odious Snippers?  Well you would do that, wouldn't you.

"GET ON WITH THE DAY JOB!!! STOP GOING ON ABOUT INDEPENDENCE!!!"

It's fairly straightforward. As an out of towner I never heard much about Govanhill. Only after I moved here did I start hearing all these bad things. The fact she became MSP for that area around that same time is purely coincidental, I'm sure.

3 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

"GET ON WITH THE DAY JOB!!! STOP GOING ON ABOUT INDEPENDENCE!!!"

It's fairly straightforward. As an out of towner I never heard much about Govanhill. Only after I moved here did I start hearing all these bad things. The fact she became MSP for that area around that same time is purely coincidental, I'm sure.

TBF, I think you both have a point.

Govanhill has been a pretty renowned shitehole since long before the FM was MSP there, but comparable (and even worse) areas across the city and the country don't get anywhere near the same coverage. There is a large focus on it as the FM's constituency, although for some reason this coverage never seems to mention the way the area was treated by the previous longterm Labour-led GCC.

18 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Stirling at least checks the box marked “f**k off big castle on top of an old volcano”

Which is more than can be said for the places most of you lot live in

Despite the councils and police best efforts to b*stardise the town it does look braw at times, this came up on my fb feed the other day...

F92AFFA9-2C20-4A0D-BC8C-81050A59DC77.jpeg

Edited by gannonball

TBF, I think you both have a point.
Govanhill has been a pretty renowned shitehole since long before the FM was MSP there, but comparable (and even worse) areas across the city and the country don't get anywhere near the same coverage. There is a large focus on it as the FM's constituency, although for some reason this coverage never seems to mention the way the area was treated by the previous longterm Labour-led GCC.

Well if she can’t fix it what chance have the c***s got?

On 1/11/2019 at 03:55, I'm Brian said:

This is a genuine question, but what has Auchinleck got going for it other than the ability to get out of it.

The Auchinleck by-pass was man's single greatest achievement.

Cheap diesel at the garage at the Cumnock end to help get as far away from it as possible The other garage at the the Mauchline end was about 40p a gallon more Was only joking about getting away from it as there is worst places i have been to   There is a lot of new houses getting builtin it so that tells you it is not that bad

13 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Definitely second this. For the best part of a decade I had band practice just off Maryhill rd at 6pm every Monday, came from Bellshill and picked up one of the guys on Alexandra Parade so after that we would cut across and past Saracen Cross. Almost every week without fail there would be some kind of bedlam happening, a fight, someone getting chased, police dashing about etc etc. All of this at half five! Probably the only place I've ever driven through that I would absolutely try and avoid walking through!

"My team: Airdrie". 

"Band Practice"

Do you play flute or drum.....?

Latest scare story about Govanhill in the evening times.  New affordable housing is to be built on Butterbiggins Road. Among the ET complaints is  "Concerns have been raised regarding traffic at the site"

The houses are to be built on the site of the former Larkfield bus depot!!!!

Edited by thisal

14 hours ago, thisal said:

Latest scare story about Govanhill in the evening times.  New affordable housing is to be built on Butterfield Road. Among the ET complaints is  "Concerns have been raised regarding traffic at the site"

Butterbiggins Road I would think, as a maybe 3 year old we lived on this street and my dad worked at Larkfield garage (before we headed across the river to the Valhalla of North Glasgow)

Edited by BillyAnchor

4 hours ago, thisal said:

Latest scare story about Govanhill in the evening times.  New affordable housing is to be built on Butterfield Road. Among the ET complaints is  "Concerns have been raised regarding traffic at the site"

The posh end of Govanhill!