Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

1 minute ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I've never heard anyone say that. If anything it's the opposite ... "Invest in fish" was what my dear old pa said to me on his deathbed. 

Or maybe it was "ma vest's in pish".

The bladder often goes towards the end.

No chance, Possil is easily the worst.

Unless you’re mired in the shite that goes on, or live directly on Saracen Street, it’s fine. The fact that it’s got good transport links with the west end and the city centre helps it against somewhere like Drumchapel. I live in a cul-de-sac so maybe I’m sheltered somewhat.

30 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Anybody's "Mink Status" changed?  According to the mink map, I grew up in a light blue area of minkiness and now live in a light blue area of minkiness.

Lack of ambition on my part IMO.

I'm up one level of blue.  8)

I've become more minkier as I have grown older. Bizarrely enough where I stayed in Ayr, is the epitome of non-minkiness, but is portrayed on the mink map as being decidedly minky.

Where I live now is neither minky nor non-minky.

However this...

uyg.jpg.9c6df43fc3c2311bd28f2b36ff281dae.jpg

50 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Anybody's "Mink Status" changed?  According to the mink map, I grew up in a light blue area of minkiness and now live in a light blue area of minkiness.

Lack of ambition on my part IMO.

Went from deep red (Onthank, Kilmarnock) to deep Blue (Bishopbriggs). 

Pretty much due to finding a rich burd.

1 minute ago, jimmy boo said:

I think I've missed something. Is this map actually a thing?

Very much so. Universities, for example, are cutting their throats to show that they’re actively trying to recruit from the worst SIMD areas. UWS topping the charts the last time I looked, hardly surprising given that it has campuses in Paisley and Blantyre.

Very much so. Universities, for example, are cutting their throats to show that they’re actively trying to recruit from the worst SIMD areas. UWS topping the charts the last time I looked, hardly surprising given that it has campuses in Paisley and Blantyre.
Where would one access such a thing?

Worst rated area that I can find is 'Drumchapel North'. 

All scores (income, employment, health, education, crime etc) are 1/10, from the exception of a 5/10 for geographical access.  

Just behind this is Dundee's Hilltoon which is pretty much the same, but with a cracking score of 9/10 for access, hence marginally better as you have almost twice the chance of escaping.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Just looked Alloa up on the Mink Map. OYF.

I've never actually been chased by a large man with a chainsaw, but when the idea occurs to me, I'm always passing through Skinflats. Make of that what you will.

Looking again at the minkmap  http://simd.scot/2016/  -  Rigside looks brutally red in every corner of the place, but Tarbrax is depicted in light blue meaning it's a bit middle class.
Is there anything else in particular that pulls it down?

It's in shadow of the big shale bing.

The surrounding countryside rivals the moon for desolation.

Nearest "big place" is Carnwath, 4 miles away.

No shop.

Very little public transport, and what there is, takes you to the delights of Lanark.

Apart from that, it's fine.

19 hours ago, DosserDel said:

Being from Lanarkshire, there are the many shitholes already mentioned to choose from, but I am in complete agreement with people voting for Methil. 

I deliver to the Stuart's factory up there regularly, and the wee Lower Methil area down by the docks and energy park is rough and depressing .

The wee kinda main street area is bleak as fcuk. 

Stuart's fudge doughnuts are a delight though, tbf. 

Looking forward to next week's Scottish Cup return visit already.

At least the Methil has the advantage of being based on the coast - ditto many other places with geographic benefits going for them.  Even Ayrshire is passable on a decent summer's day. The absolute worst places in Scotland are within the grey, largely flat and utterly pointless, bin county known as Lanarkshire.  You could be transported from there to a crumbling, post-Communist hovel in Ukraine or Moldova and you wouldn't notice much of a difference. It's an absolute cowp of a place.

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, jimmy boo said:
2 hours ago, mathematics said:

Where would one access such a thing?

The SIMD map? Someone posted the link above.

One of the other threads had a surprising amount of people (like me) with a weird obsession for maps.
This is one of the best I have seen - a genuine chance to hover round the country pinpointing posh places and shiteholes based on actual facts and figures.

According to the statisticians who put this index together the low scores are more meaningful than the high scores as it’s a deprivation index so it’s a good tool to compare Govanhill with Craigmillar but not much use to compare Morningside with Kelvinside

It’s similar to the way IQ tests were developed for, and are still useful, for identifying people with learning difficulties who need help and support as opposed to deciding which quite clever people are cleverer than other quite clever people