Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

12 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Surely if one of your selling points of your town / village is that "it's easy to get to somewhere better", it's not really a selling point?

Transport links are essential...staying in a medium-sized town myself, there really isn't any need to go anywhere else for anything. You can get a meal, a drink, shops, supermarket etc etc...but being able to walk up to the station and head to Glasgow or Edinburgh for a better selection of restaurants, clubs or pubs is ideal...

...staying somewhere without good transport links would do my nut in.

2 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

In terms of East Lothian I'd rather live in Prestonpans than the supposedly nicer areas like Gifford and East Linton which are poorly connected to Edinburgh and largely populated by dicks that really think they've made it in life. 

East Linton might /might not be getting a railway station.    

14 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

With the exception of Linlithgow, everywhere in West Lothian is a bit strange imo. Full of wannabe weegie towns/villages. I try not to go further west than the airport personally. 

True even the bigger places like Fauldhouse and Bathgate are dumps.   

Just now, ONeils4Oyarder said:

Transport links are essential...staying in a medium-sized town myself, there really isn't any need to go anywhere else for anything. You can get a meal, a drink, shops, supermarket etc etc...but being able to walk up to the station and head to Glasgow or Edinburgh for a better selection of restaurants, clubs or pubs is ideal...

Buy yourself a car, mate.    

13 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I'm glad it's not just me that's planning to allow some time to check out Rigside and Tarbrax next time I'm in the central belt with a bit of time on my hands.

I wish I'd taken the time to do Tarbrax when I was down at the Livi game. 

Hamilton away on 23rd of this month could be a possibility for a swing through Rigside mind you.

Hamilton and Rigside in the same day.

Image result for shiver gif

2 minutes ago, Billy Rubin said:

East Linton might /might not be getting a railway station.    

True even the bigger places like Fauldhouse and Bathgate are dumps.   

I know people that have invested heavily in East Linton near the supposed railway station, don't think it's working for them. 

West Lothian's awful eh? Never been to Bathgate, sounds awful. A guy I know in a nice job now had a party there when he lived there, they were firing golf balls into other people's properties, weird place. 

27 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Surely if one of your selling points of your town / village is that "it's easy to get to somewhere better", it's not really a selling point?

8 minutes ago, ONeils4Oyarder said:

I grew up in a small town. It's fine to look at, not particularly well-to-do, not particularly rough, and there's nice countryside around it that people come to the area to for holidays. It's not a shithole. But there's no jobs in my field, very little in the way of cosmopolitan culture, and it takes about three hours to get to the nearest city by public transport.

I don't think I could live there again - I'm not necessarily a city person, but I like the trappings of having a city close by. I could totally understand why someone would choose to live in a less-nice area where it's easy to get to where they want to be.

6 minutes ago, Adamski said:

I don't think I could live there again - I'm not necessarily a city person, but I like the trappings of having a city close by. I could totally understand why someone would choose to live in a less-nice area where it's easy to get to where they want to be.

I grew up in Ayrshire, lived next to the sea, 40 mins on train to Glasgow, trains frequent etc but eventually moved up to Glasgow as that's where I've always worked.

I stay in Shawlands, right across from Queens Park. Doesn't really feel like it's the city, more like a wee town as there's plenty of greenery and plenty of pubs, two of which are my locals and it's the same faces.

Rarely go out in the city centre except the odd Friday after work or if Killie are playing a team I need to go to/from central to.

3 hours ago, Adamski said:

Edited to add: the thing about people loitering in the street is apparently much more of a cultural norm in some of the communities that have moved to Govanhill in recent years. I see it quite often but never encountered any trouble.

This.

To my surprise,  a colleague recently cited this area as the reason he voted FOR Brexit.  He lived there as a boy and is unhappy with how it has changed.

6 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

How's Danny Dodger getting on since he fell down that hole that Mary the Minx painted on the road?

Sorry, I've tried googling but I think I'll have to hold my hands up and admit defeat to being whooshed!

Fair play though - it makes a change from references to 1980s drinks that were consumed in the Congo.

11 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I grew up in Ayrshire, lived next to the sea, 40 mins on train to Glasgow, trains frequent etc but eventually moved up to Glasgow as that's where I've always worked.

I stay in Shawlands, right across from Queens Park. Doesn't really feel like it's the city, more like a wee town as there's plenty of greenery and plenty of pubs, two of which are my locals and it's the same faces.

Rarely go out in the city centre except the odd Friday after work or if Killie are playing a team I need to go to/from central to.

We're practically neighbours.

When we moved to the area the plan was to use it as a stopgap for a couple of years before moving on. That was five years ago. It's home now - no plans to move now and my oldest child starting school in the area in August. The parks are great, there's decent cafes, the community feel of the place is lovely, and like you say there's about 14 pubs within 300-odd metres of where I live that cater for pretty much all tastes, to the point where going out elsewhere in Glasgow has started feeling like an unnecessary hassle.

Say what you want about Rigside, but where else can you buy a walk-in-condition end-terrace house with 2x double bedrooms, enclosed front/back gardens and a newly fitted large-ish kitchen for £45k?   :unsure:

Rigside.JPG.70d69b59c8d5131d3e019fa5766b5a85.JPG

Edited by Hedgecutter

4 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Congratulations on escaping Dalkeith! I too have escaped after a 15-year term, and then a second 10-year term when I was stupid enough to go back after my first escape!

It has the potential to be a nice town - barring the disastrous 60s carbuncle bit (where even pigeons only go to die) it has a nice town centre, it is close to Edinburgh, it is surrounded by green countryside and woodlands with great walks abounding - but by Christ it was a hard place to love, or even feel part of a community of.

The people can be as dour as they come, the pubs can be welcoming and violent in equal measure, and there is absolutely no culture to speak of in the place unless you count the stuff that grows on the sandwiches in the Ship Inn.

Everybody has to go into the city or around the bypass to get to work, and they never get above 5mph on their commute so hate it. (Unless they work in the big council building in Dalkeith or the SQA, and then they simply find other things in life to hate.)

It's by no means the worst town in Scotland, but I'd put it up there as the worst town in Midlothian.

It really should be so much better, much more close to say Haddington than to say Bucharest.

EDIT - I should add in fairness it was a great town to grow up in. As a kid you enjoy the countryside bits of it (albeit that's rapidly turning into houses), and you don't have to care that an eight-mile car journey to your work takes nearly an hour sometimes. You love it because you have loads of mates at hand and it's all you really know. But as an adult, no chance!

Poetic. I couldn't have summed it up better!

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:
2 hours ago, Boostin said:
You'd be lucky to get a garage in central Edinburgh for that price. 

But unlikely to be murdered in it.

Or have to walk to Rigside every morning to get your car. 

The Scottish Government has attempted to answer this statistically with their Scotttish Index of Multiple Deprivation

http://simd.scot

Irvine, North Ayrshire is a strong contender but apparently has a few well to do outlying suburbs

So Methil, Fife probably beats it  

Say what you want about Rigside, but where else can you buy a walk-in-condition end-terrace house with 2x double bedrooms, enclosed front/back gardens and a newly fitted large-ish kitchen for £45k?   :unsure:

Rigside.JPG.70d69b59c8d5131d3e019fa5766b5a85.JPG
did they use Rigside when filming scenes from still game?

3 hours ago, Adamski said:

I grew up in a small town. It's fine to look at, not particularly well-to-do, not particularly rough, and there's nice countryside around it that people come to the area to for holidays. It's not a shithole. But there's no jobs in my field, very little in the way of cosmopolitan culture, and it takes about three hours to get to the nearest city by public transport.

There will be plenty of jobs in agriculture after Brexit...