Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

2 hours ago, throbber said:

Yeah all of those places are nice, if a little snobby. Dunbar and Haddington also. Maybe Pans isn’t that bad and it’s not far from Edinburgh so it’s probably a decent commuter town as has been mentioned, I have just met some of the most insufferable degenerates from there in my last job which made me always think it was a shit hole and my quick drive through it confirmed this for me, some c**t walked right in front of me at a red man like a hard man and I wished I had just ran him over (not first time this has happened to me recently)

Have visited EK once for work and thought it was a pretty industrial place that didn’t have much soul to it, have met numerous people from there who have all been good guys in my experience.

I have worked in Cumbernauld also and don’t think it’s a shit hole at all, the town centre has everything you could want for what it is, there is nice green scenery round and about it and loads of nice houses in the areas around it like Broadwood, Croy and Bankknock. Would be a better commuter town than EK, IMO.

There are minks in Dunbar and Hadyingtong as well.

North Berwick, Gullane, Aberlady, Dirleton and Gifford are the Tory voting mink free parts of East Lothian.  An East LothianTory Councillor and posh twit has the splendid name of Ludovic Broun-Lindsay, a moniker you wouldn't find anywhere outside of Aberdeenshire if you ask me. 

2 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:
On 08/01/2019 at 13:10, throbber said:
Took a detour through Prestonpans a few weeks ago, wish I hadn’t!

We played there in the Cup a few years ago. I think every redneck and mental patient from a 50 mile radius was there. The place itself didn't seem too bad.

The locals don't usually come out for Preston Athletic games but when they do.. there are houses at the back of the Pennypit and the folk there usually sit their back gardens watching the game for nowt with 6 packs of lager and some buckie. 

Prestonpans has a reputation that the locals aren't exactly Hearts or Hibs fans but favour a certain SPFL club from Glasgow who aren't Celtic, Partick or Queen's Park.. 

The locals don't usually come out for Preston Athletic games but when they do.. there are houses at the back of the Pennypit and the folk there usually sit their back gardens watching the game for nowt with 6 packs of lager and some buckie. 
Prestonpans has a reputation that the locals aren't exactly Hearts or Hibs fans but favour a certain SPFL club from Glasgow who aren't Celtic, Partick or Queen's Park.. 

Played there and 2 boys leaning out their window were shouting “number 7, number 7’ I looked up and was greeted with “you’re shite” could only laugh

57 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

North Berwick, Gullane, Aberlady, Dirleton and Gifford are the Tory voting mink free parts of East Lothian.  An East LothianTory Councillor and posh twit has the splendid name of Ludovic Broun-Lindsay, a moniker you wouldn't find anywhere outside of Aberdeenshire if you ask me. 

EL has returned Lab members to both the SG and Westminister

55 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Bliss. I'm on look out for a flat overlooking Grant Street Stadium in Inverness, might have to build my own veranda extension though. 

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I bet he had relatives in Perthshire...

Anyway...let's all try to increase the Tory representation for the betterment of Scotland.

Haven't seen many mentions of the Borders towns in this thread. Hawick and the likes

What are they like?. Probably heading down that way at some point this year and other than a trip down the A68 I've never been

4 minutes ago, I'm Brian said:

Haven't seen many mentions of the Borders towns in this thread. Hawick and the likes

What are they like?. Probably heading down that way at some point this year and other than a trip down the A68 I've never been

I've no experience of spending any more than a couple of hours at a time in most of the main Borders towns with work but I have visited them regularly and always thought they looked like quaint, picturesque places surrounded by lovely scenery.  No idea what the locals are like though. Weird inbreds with webbed feet and a scar on their shoulders at a guess, based on nothing but pure speculation. 

1 minute ago, Dee Man said:

No idea what the locals are like though. Weird inbreds with webbed feet and a scar on their shoulders at a guess, based on nothing but pure speculation. 

They are famed for their love of egg chasing and not allowing women to ride on horses so that kind of description is probably fair.

I know I have previously stood up for it somewhat as the town itself has some cracking looking landmarks like the Abbey, Coats Memorial Church, Coats Observatory, The Anchor/Abbey Mills and Town Hall to name a few. A town of quite decent potential given it has the most listed buildings in Scotland. 

But for fucks sake, Paisley as a destination to actually spend a day in is absolutely dreadful. I had the misfortune of being in the town between Xmas and New year for the first time in about 6 months to run a couple of errands and was swiftly reminded why I only venture in once every few months (presumably like most people).

The actual shopping centre - supposed to be the hub of the town - if you remove shite like card and phone shops has about 8 open shops and most of them you wouldn't actually go 'shopping' as its the likes of Boots and Savers. The high Street itself has a Sports Direct, a WH Smith that has reduced by about 70% in the last 10 years and yet still somehow hangs on and a M&S which was downgraded to an outlet 10 years ago and that is literally it. 

Its so bad that Burger King and McDonald's both shut down years ago and GTF out of the town. I've literally never heard of a McDonald's shutting down in my puff! 

It's a terrible indictment of the state the town is in. Every time you go in you think 'this can't get any worse' and yet, somehow it manages to outdo itself. 

29 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I know I have previously stood up for it somewhat as the town itself has some cracking looking landmarks like the Abbey, Coats Memorial Church, Coats Observatory, The Anchor/Abbey Mills and Town Hall to name a few. A town of quite decent potential given it has the most listed buildings in Scotland. 

But for fucks sake, Paisley as a destination to actually spend a day in is absolutely dreadful. I had the misfortune of being in the town between Xmas and New year for the first time in about 6 months to run a couple of errands and was swiftly reminded why I only venture in once every few months (presumably like most people).

The actual shopping centre - supposed to be the hub of the town - if you remove shite like card and phone shops has about 8 open shops and most of them you wouldn't actually go 'shopping' as its the likes of Boots and Savers. The high Street itself has a Sports Direct, a WH Smith that has reduced by about 70% in the last 10 years and yet still somehow hangs on and a M&S which was downgraded to an outlet 10 years ago and that is literally it. 

Its so bad that Burger King and McDonald's both shut down years ago and GTF out of the town. I've literally never heard of a McDonald's shutting down in my puff! 

It's a terrible indictment of the state the town is in. Every time you go in you think 'this can't get any worse' and yet, somehow it manages to outdo itself. 

McDonald’s shut on Kirkcaldy high Street years ago, as did Burger King. McDonald’s is still in Kirkcaldy, one at the retail park and one inside Asda. Even our M&S is shutting in February. Again a simply food is at the Retail Park. 

High streets are finished. 

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Bliss. I'm on look out for a flat overlooking Grant Street Stadium in Inverness, might have to build my own veranda extension though. 

I've always wondered about Grant Street.  I take it Clach have no say in people being able to watch every game for free (with a great view) from their 1st floor?

9 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:
11 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:
I've been to Glasgow a lot (well 2ish times a month) recently both to visit my auld dear but also to look at flats to buy.  The area around the Central is like Kosovo.  I've also looked at flats just off Victoria Road in Govanhill and it's an embarrassment.

Actually Govanhill is pretty much Kosovo. Pretty dreadful. Not the place to buy a flat.

I walked along Allison St a couple of weeks back. It’s had a bad reputation for years but f**k me, I was shocked at just how much of stinking mess the place was. The streets and gardens were filthy, household waste everywhere. It’s also the only place other than Albania where I’ve witnessed large groups of people just loitering in the street for no real reason.

18 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I've always wondered about Grant Street.  I take it Clach have no say in people being able to watch every game for free (with a great view) from their 1st floor?

Not much they could do, but sadly I've hardly ever noticed anyone looking out their windows.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not much they could do, but sadly I've hardly ever noticed anyone looking out their windows.

Indeed.  I think I noticed it more when I was younger as I was looking out for it more, but yep, you's probably have to pay most of the residents to watch it out their windows these days.

Any town with those 1930s looking sodium coloured streetlights is verging towards a dump.

Lanarkshire is full of them, places like Carnwath, Glespin or my nomination for worst town - Rigside.

As a kid, we would drive through Rigside and my Dad would tell me about a murder that had taken place there recently. This has scarred me, every single time I go through now I see police tape in my head.

Fortunately we would then quickly arrive in Ayrshire and he would start to talk about football again. (Or sometimes the RAF bombing a train bridge near Muirkirk for target practice.)

Any town with those 1930s looking sodium coloured streetlights is verging towards a dump.

Lanarkshire is full of them, places like Carnwath, Glespin or my nomination for worst town - Rigside.

As a kid, we would drive through Rigside and my Dad would tell me about a murder that had taken place there recently. This has scarred me, every single time I go through now I see police tape in my head.

Fortunately we would then quickly arrive in Ayrshire and he would start to talk about football again. (Or sometimes the RAF bombing a train bridge near Muirkirk for target practice.)
There has been another two murders in "Rignam", one four weeks ago and another a couple of years ago.

Some place, Rigside.

5 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

Stumbled upon this thread and literally was going to post Hawick. I stayed there for 4 years. A relatively nice town ruined by people. It's just so isolated, 50 miles from Edinburgh which made it an absolute **** for me to still come up to see family, Hearts games etc. It's bigger than Galashiels too, but has less than Gala. There is literally **** all to do in Hawick. High street is a ghost town after 7pm. The kind of place that drives you to let guys do a Tam Kite on yer face, as the media shows.

I also want to throw Dalkeith in the mix. I lived there for about a year with my birds folks, and had talked about buying a house there.  Glad I changed my mind. Again, a not bad town in general, just full of ****ing roasters. I now reside in Musselburgh, a far better calibre of people.

Looked up Rigside on Google Street view, fuck me, it looks like something out of a Rob Zombie film.  I'm half expecting to rotate the view and see Captain Spaulding standing there looking at me.