Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

5 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

The centre of Greenock is pretty grim, with the Oak Mall probably the worst shopping centre I have ever been in.  Port Glasgow is on an entirelyy different level of shiteness though.

Rest of Inverclyde is pretty nice though.

You haven't lived until you've taken a walk along Port Glasgow beach when the tide's out.

I've spent considerable time in both Greenock and Paisley. Both should be levelled and 90% of residents subject to genocide.

Ferguslie Park received heavy amounts of new housing but the same scumbags live in the new properties and the vicious cycle of shite continues. No amount of "community spirit" stops the fact that the area is a crime infested, low employment hot spot. Burn it down, build it back up with new people.

The centre of Greenock is pretty grim, with the Oak Mall probably the worst shopping centre I have ever been in.  Port Glasgow is on an entirelyy different level of shiteness though.

Which explains why my Artisan gluten free ethical organic cupcake shop failed

• 2 years later...

Thought I'd resurrect this thread to name the worst five I have seen based on a couple of trips in Aberdeenshire in recent days.   From wonderful Braemar on Sunday, to brutal Peterhead yesterday.

Some interesting reads, but I will nominate.....

Ballingry

New Cumnock

Denny

Whitburn

Coatbridge

Invergordon.

An absolute cunthole filled with council estates and feral children running about.  Absolutely zero to do for any age group.

The port is a right old laugh too, a few months ago, the 5th (now 6th) biggest bruise ship in the world, the MSC Meraviglia came into town, there was about 40 coaches from Inverness there parked along the front waiting to pick the passengers up and get them to fuck for the day so they don't actually have to see the place.  

It's also full of absolute breeds.  Probably to do with my previous council estate remark.

49 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Invergordon.

An absolute cunthole filled with council estates and feral children running about.  Absolutely zero to do for any age group.

The port is a right old laugh too, a few months ago, the 5th (now 6th) biggest bruise ship in the world, the MSC Meraviglia came into town, there was about 40 coaches from Inverness there parked along the front waiting to pick the passengers up and get them to f**k for the day so they don't actually have to see the place.  

It's also full of absolute breeds.  Probably to do with my previous council estate remark.

It's like Monte Carlo compared to Alness. There's even a gourmet pie shop. It is funny seeing bewildered folk off the cruise ships expecting Brigadoon though,

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's like Monte Carlo compared to Alness. There's even a gourmet pie shop. It is funny seeing bewildered folk off the cruise ships expecting Brigadoon though,

Alness is far better than Invergordon these days IMO.  In all aspects.

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Alness is far better than Invergordon these days IMO.  In all aspects.

Don't know it well but a mate who does pointed out a nice wee street of cottages and said the locals call it Murder Row. And the number of times the Courier court stories involve folk from Alness. 

Many would have the impression that everything is idyllic in the Highlands and Islands.

......and many places are, but quite a few nominations for the likes of Alness and Invergordon.  I also recall a night in Thurso being a dodgy experience, getting strange looks when we stopped at Lairg for a bar meal and couldn't believe what an utter shitehole Stornoway was, compared to what I'd expected.

On a positive note, away trips to Ross County do offer the facilities of Dingwall including one of the very few old-fashioned Wimpy restaurants left.

Edited by tarapoa

I think everyone expects everywhere in the Highlands to be beautiful, idyllic villages, where in reality you'd charitably describe most places as functional. The fact that Drumnadrochit reckons it's the prettiest village in the Highlands doesn't set the bar very high. Sure, there's a few bonny places, but often it's the location rather than the buildings.

Also, Alness > Invergordon.

8 minutes ago, throbber said:

Took a detour through Prestonpans a few weeks ago, wish I hadn’t!

My missus served methadone to the local junkies for a few years. Not great, in fact you could probably just end the thread by listing the number of junkies registered in each town.

But the Goth pub raises it a few notches. Just a stone’s throw away from one of the best nature reserves in Scotland. You can usually find the positives in a place if you scratch the surface. 

Edited by The Mantis

28 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Many would have the impression that everything is idyllic in the Highlands and Islands.

......and many places are, but quite a few nominations for the likes of Alness and Invergordon.  I also recall a night in Thurso being a dodgy experience, getting strange looks when we stopped at Lairg for a bar meal and couldn't believe what an utter shitehole Stornoway was, compared to what I'd expected.

On a positive note, away trips to Ross County do offer the facilities of Dingwall including one of the very few old-fashioned Wimpy restaurants left.

Been visiting rural Lewis for 40 years as Mrs Mantis is from there. Always been very fond of Stornoway and never understood the stick it gets.  Mind you it could get a bit Wild West at the weekend. The Hebcelt in July is quite an event. 

Edited by The Mantis

Whenever this thread goes back up to the top it strikes me that it would make a good World Cup style competition: regional qualification rounds, a final 32, groups, knockout rounds, a final. P&B could really settle this once and for all.

But I'm not doing it.

Contenders for me include New Cumnock, Lesmahagow, and Methil. Methil probably shades it though.

37 minutes ago, throbber said:

Took a detour through Prestonpans a few weeks ago, wish I hadn’t!

I'd never been until doing a charity bike route from there a year and a half or so back.

The route was very nice - through East Lothian (Gullane, North Berwick, East Linton, Gifford etc) - which made me wonder why on earth they chose this place as the start and end point.