Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

1 hour ago, resk said:

Genuine question - why does this happen? Who does the "shoving"? And is it particularly to the Schneck / Ross-shire or everywhere else too? Aberdeen has its fair share of minks but I always assumed they were mostly born and bred here.

No idea mate. Some kind of housing department in each local council I'd presume.

Craigmillar's had a lot of cash pumped into it. a drive through Niddrie Mains Road makes it looks ok and prices to live there are suprisingly high.  Money doesn't immediately cure generational social issues but it's far from the worst part of Edinburgh let alone Scotland imo.

North Edinburgh has it's issues but there's even parts of Pilton (southern) where middle class couple are moving to.

Pilton really isn't that bad an area,
Especially East Pilton around Ainslie park and the Strada development.

Pennywell Road and the surrounding areas which I used to think were frightful areas aren't even that bad and have all the amenities you could want if renting on the cheap.

7 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

After he died, I found an old school diary in my Dad's stuff. His address and phone number were written on the front. The phone number was "Portadown 8". 

(Sorry to go off-topic, although to be fair, Portadown is also a shitehole, albeit not in Scotland). 

Are they related to the Craigavon 2? Or is that something else?

5 minutes ago, throbber said:

Pilton really isn't that bad an area,
Especially East Pilton around Ainslie park and the Strada development.

Pennywell Road and the surrounding areas which I used to think were frightful areas aren't even that bad and have all the amenities you could want if renting on the cheap.

I have friends that live close to Ainslie Park and it's pretty suburban area but right next to the old estates.  A bit boring and overpriced imo but very easy to get to Stockbridge/Leith/City Centre.

I have friends that live close to Ainslie Park and it's pretty suburban area but right next to the old estates.  A bit boring and overpriced imo but very easy to get to Stockbridge/Leith/City Centre.

Yeah i do too and was close to buying there at one point! Would say anywhere west of the roundabout was a bit dodgey bit of that's one of the worst parts of the city then it says a lot for Edinburgh. Davidsons mains/silverknowes is nice as well there is just the area near that wee red bridge that is dodgey IMO.

I have never been to Nidrie mind you!

1 hour ago, resk said:

Genuine question - why does this happen? Who does the "shoving"? And is it particularly to the Schneck / Ross-shire or everywhere else too? Aberdeen has its fair share of minks but I always assumed they were mostly born and bred here.

I've found it's the same in a few Northern towns. I think it's seen as an escape route from whatever trouble they might be in. If I was a gangster/drug dealers henchman I'd make sure I had a look around Fort William and Aviemore for any debtors.

Yeah, but it will still be Pilton.

You can't polish a turd.

You can when you build more attractive buildings there which they have done with Eaat Pilton. I suggest next time you have a Saturday off you take the wife to the area for a day out, you can even stay a night at the Pilton Hilton. Wester Hailes is a far worse area but yet gets mentioned in similar terms of shite hole as Pilton which is very unfair.

10 minutes ago, throbber said:

You can when you build more attractive buildings there which they have done with Eaat Pilton. I suggest next time you have a Saturday off you take the wife to the area for a day out, you can even stay a night at the Pilton Hilton. Wester Hailes is a far worse area but yet gets mentioned in similar terms of shite hole as Pilton which is very unfair.

Must be nearly 15 years ago, but I worked one summer at the British Gas call centre down in Pilton.  That shopping centre on Pennywell Road was "interesting".  There was a pub next to it too if I remember correctly.  

I drove through that way recently along lower Granton Road and I must say there's a huge difference. (I don't know where you'd call East Pilton vs Pilton) 

But for every expensive new flat, there's still a Royston Mains Drive.  

Must be nearly 15 years ago, but I worked one summer at the British Gas call centre down in Pilton.  That shopping centre on Pennywell Road was "interesting".  There was a pub next to it too if I remember correctly.  

I drove through that way recently along lower Granton Road and I must say there's a huge difference. (I don't know where you'd call East Pilton vs Pilton) 

Is the British Gas call centre not in Granton by the waterfront? East Pilton would be around Ainslie park and where the Strada development is. The opposite end of Ainslie park has new flats which are quite nice as well and all of that area towards Granton is alright IMO. When you go straight on from Crewe toll roundabout from Ferry Road onto Pennywell road is where it starts to get a bit rough though! I haven't spent much time around that particular part, only pub I know I'm the area is the Do'cot which seems alright.

Are you talking about "the gunner" being the pub? If so you're correct and it was a total shitehole, but I think it's closed now.

For what it's worth, Broomhouse and wester hailes are both much worse than Pilton, from what I've seen.

Just now, throbber said:

Is the British Gas call centre not in Granton by the waterfront? East Pilton would be around Ainslie park and where the Strada development is. The opposite end of Ainslie park has new flats which are quite nice as well and all of that area towards Granton is alright IMO. When you go straight on from Crewe toll roundabout from Ferry Road onto Pennywell road is where it starts to get a bit rough though! I haven't spent much time around that particular part, only pub I know I'm the area is the Do'cot which seems alright.

The new call centre is further along towards Granton.  It used to be just a bit further down towards Silverknowes.  A good few years ago now though, night and day to today.  I think most of the area still resembled sets from trainspotting/the acid house back then

Just now, oneteaminglasgow said:

Are you talking about "the gunner" being the pub? If so you're correct and it was a total shitehole, but I think it's closed now.

For what it's worth, Broomhouse and wester hailes are both much worse than Pilton, from what I've seen.

You beat me to it on Broomhouse. Bandit country. Isolated too and hemmed in by the main roads - most folk would never know it's there.