Home Brew

Adam

My first batch is nearly three weeks old now, will be giving it another week or two in the keg before having a try. I'm a little bit worried however, as the tap on the keg leaked a bit during the first day out so, meaning that air will have gotten in.

Hopefully it will be alright...

So I poured my first pint about half an hour ago. After reading stuff online I was worried that the leak could have potentially ruined it, so decided rather than giving it any longer to increase the percentage, but also spoil it, I would open it today. It's a pretty decent effort, if I don't say so myself. It has a nice nutty aftertaste. Just need to find someone to help me drink the 40 pints before Sunday!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Any of you lot ever heard of / tried Moonshine home brew in a bag kits? Just been looking at them online and they sound right up my street. You basically buy the bag for £25 and then pour 25 pints of water into the nozzle and add a sachet of powder (presumably yeast) to it, then seal it and leave untouched for two weeks. After a fortnight you have 25 pints of ready to drink ale and no need to bottle as it keeps for a month, so you can just pour it from the tap on the bag as and when you like. It sounds almost too good to be true, but if it is decent I'd be over the moon as I'd love to make home brew but don't have the space or time for all the equipment and fannying about it involves.

http://www.moonshinedrinks.co.uk/

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Brewing-Bag-By-Moonshine-Drinks.html

Any of you lot ever heard of / tried Moonshine home brew in a bag kits? Just been looking at them online and they sound right up my street. You basically buy the bag for £25 and then pour 25 pints of water into the nozzle and add a sachet of powder (presumably yeast) to it, then seal it and leave untouched for two weeks. After a fortnight you have 25 pints of ready to drink ale and no need to bottle as it keeps for a month, so you can just pour it from the tap on the bag as and when you like. It sounds almost too good to be true, but if it is decent I'd be over the moon as I'd love to make home brew but don't have the space or time for all the equipment and fannying about it involves.

http://www.moonshinedrinks.co.uk/

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Brewing-Bag-By-Moonshine-Drinks.html

Just eat the mixture and drink water.

If you want to brew beer then brew beer. If you just want to drink it then buy it. Why the f**k would you bother making 25 pints of beer two weeks in advance using a method similar to pouring yourself diluting juice.

What he said.

If you want to brew beer then brew beer. If you just want to drink it then buy it. Why the f**k would you bother making 25 pints of beer two weeks in advance using a method similar to pouring yourself diluting juice.

Purely for the novelty would be my answer to that I suppose. I reckon I'll give this a bash.

Turbo cider is the easiest to make, supposedly it is similar to Scrumpy. Its made from cartons of apple juice. Ho to guide in link below.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=25735

I have never made this myself though.

You don't need any of that equipment.

My recipe

Apple juice from cartons

Sugar

Water

Highest quality yeast available. I like champagne yeast.

Equipment-

Enough fizzy drinks bottles for your brew

A pot

A pack of party ballons

Baby bottle sterilising tablets.

Sterilise your bottles using a quarter tablet to every 2L bottle filled with water for 1/2 an hour.

Saturate a solution of sugar and water and warm gently, allow to cool to just above luke warm and add yeast so that it becomes active.

Add apple juice to syrup at a ratio of about 3 parts juice to 1 part syrup.

Bottle and put a balloon over the neck, the ballon acts in the same way as an air lock, allowing excess CO2 out and no bugs in.

Wait until the brew stops fermenting (the balloon will wither as CO2 stops being produced.

Drink.

• 10 months later...

post-30184-14371594198498_thumb.jpg

Made headway with my third home brew tonight. I bought a Mexican lager kit yesterday which wasn't really suitable for keg brewing, so picked up an IPA today. Bought some brew enhancer to go with it at an extortionate price, but think it will be worth it as I believe it will end up roughly 4.5% given early readings and reviews elsewhere.

I've also invested in a CO2 injector which should see the ale OK after a few months as well, rather than no fizz or bite after a few days without, although I doubt it will come to that in my house and with my friends.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
10 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

What have you got on the go?

Nowt. The bump is because I am getting stuff for xmas and had hoped there were some kindred spirits on here.... Going to give it a go. Kit first as it comes with the gear then brew in a bag with grain

Nowt. The bump is because I am getting stuff for xmas and had hoped there were some kindred spirits on here.... Going to give it a go. Kit first as it comes with the gear then brew in a bag with grain

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-10/two-dead-two-critical-after-drinking-bad-home-brew-grappa/4743090

4 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Cool. I make more fruit wines and cider than actual beer but might branch out this year. Keep updating as you go so I can learn emoji106.png

Part of the Ts and Cs for me adopting this hobby is that I knock out an occasional cider for Mrs B and will try wine albeit its likely to be turbo cider and wine kits. I cant see me investing in a fruit press quite yet...  Whats the cider recipe you are using?