Home Brew

Adam

I keep seeing adverts for this and massively tempted. Let me know how it goes.
I have a Sub but would be good to have a bit of variety on the go at the same time (eg an IPA on the Sub and a pilsner in the Pinter).

Will do. Yeah I’ve also got a Sub, but can be a little expensive, and Beerwulf were utter shite at deliveries/issues with faulty torps. Pelforth is by far my favourite on the Sub.

Have you considered the PD? I would like that to be my next one, don’t know if I could justify paying double the price of the PD for the Blade.

https://thegreatergood.co.uk/pages/shop

Anyone tempted to buy one of these? I got mine delivered earlier today after ordering last week. Quite excited to see how good it is.

Interesting. I have only brewed the one kit that came with some of my gear but there was nothing wrong with it all save for the fact that it stalled a wee bit and finished a touch high at 1.013 ish. That's the chance you take I suppose but can get a decent beer out of them.

ETA are you still doing any brewing Adam?

11 minutes ago, Adam said:

Will do. Yeah I’ve also got a Sub, but can be a little expensive, and Beerwulf were utter shite at deliveries/issues with faulty torps. Pelforth is by far my favourite on the Sub.

Have you considered the PD? I would like that to be my next one, don’t know if I could justify paying double the price of the PD for the Blade.

In the current environment with not being able to have people round I don't think I could justify a PD or Blade given the larger sizes of kegs.

Interesting. I have only brewed the one kit that came with some of my gear but there was nothing wrong with it all save for the fact that it stalled a wee bit and finished a touch high at 1.013 ish. That's the chance you take I suppose but can get a decent beer out of them.  
ETA are you still doing any brewing Adam?

No, I’ve not done it in years, I only really had limited success with it so never really perceived with it. Looks as if you’ve got it down to a fine art these days however!

In the current environment with not being able to have people round I don't think I could justify a PD or Blade given the larger sizes of kegs.

True, although I believe you can have one PD keg in the machine for around 40 days. Might struggle with the Blade and only 30 days however.

16 minutes ago, Adam said:

No, I’ve not done it in years, I only really had limited success with it so never really perceived with it. Looks as if you’ve got it down to a fine art these days however!

Had a c**t of a time with my last two brews. Been quiet of late but i'm currently on nightshift and once this reply to your good self is concluded, am going to order enough grain to choke a racehorse and get some brews on in my upcoming week off. I watched the video of that wee thing you have ordered. I cant help feeling you might be better off kit brewing if you still have the gear. From what I can gather kits have came on a bit even just in the last few years and if you can be arsed with the bottling side of it you might get more flexibility.

Whilst I am on the subject and in the right thread, I have been making cider recently out of supermarket apple juice. Think I mentioned it elsewhere, but its really good. I have a 5 litre plastic DJ in which I ferment, then transfer it straight to stainless steel keg to carb up. The keg is a bit of outlay but with no bottling etc it really couldn't be easier. Worth a go if you still have even your pressure barrel

• 2 weeks later...
How does it compare to the lagers on the Sub? Would you rather have one of those than the Pinter pint?

Would probably prefer a lager out of the sub tbh, but it is pretty decent. Nice to have made it myself, but not really in touching distance of Pelforth.

IMG_0993.thumb.jpg.ae1b5b5c6e53191db88884ce7592036b.jpg

First try of Fresh Republic lager. Pretty gassy, would happily buy in a pub.
Based on nothing expect the chill haze evident in your picture, it will get a lot better with time. I guess that you dont buy that particular wee rig to sit and condition for 4 to 6 weeks though...

• 9 months later...

I made rhubarb wine last year, using a demijohn my grandpa (who died in 1988) gave to my dad. It was a stone one rather than glass, and I used that along with a glass one for the endless racking processes. 

Simple enough recipe. About 12 sticks of rhubarb (picked from dad's garden). Cut them in to 1 inch chunks and put them in a sterile bucket. Add 2 kilos of sugar (or less if you want weaker wine). After 3 days, strain the syrup into a demijohn. 

Add a mug of cold tea, pectolase, a litre of grape juice and top up with water, then pitch in the yeast. 

Came out lovely and clear after 4 months, and about 14% abv. 

On 05/10/2020 at 17:56, Adam said:

IMG_0993.jpg

First try of Fresh Republic lager. Pretty gassy, would happily buy in a pub.

I've got this kit at home tried a few things in it and have pretty much enjoyed them all with only the wheat beer being one I wouldn't go back to. I have somehow ended up with 3 of the pinter machines now as I bought the second to keep 1 brewing and 1 in the fridge then got gave a third with the base section so considering a small fridge solely for the beer. 

I've got this kit at home tried a few things in it and have pretty much enjoyed them all with only the wheat beer being one I wouldn't go back to. I have somehow ended up with 3 of the pinter machines now as I bought the second to keep 1 brewing and 1 in the fridge then got gave a third with the base section so considering a small fridge solely for the beer. 

I’ve only had two presses through mine, that was the first, and then the second exploded in my fridge one night during a cold crash. She was one unhappy lassie.

Mines is up my loft if you’re looking for a fourth kit? Probably should just punt it as I doubt I’ll ever use it again.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

I’ve only had two presses through mine, that was the first, and then the second exploded in my fridge one night during a cold crash. She was one unhappy lassie.

Mines is up my loft if you’re looking for a fourth kit? Probably should just punt it as I doubt I’ll ever use it again.

Cheers but I think 3 should be enough for now. Never tried the cold crash thing but read it makes the brew clearer, might avoid it if that's what happens though.

This is some of the rowan flower mead I've recently cracked open. Nice to the point where I chose it over a lager last night. The window for picking was about a week this year, so I got quite lucky with my bearsedness.

I'm starting a batch of blueberry mead tonight, using 2kg of berries I picked the other day.IMG_20210721_213933.jpeg

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

This is some of the rowan flower mead I've recently cracked open. Nice to the point where I chose it over a lager last night. The window for picking was about a week this year, so I got quite lucky with my bearsedness.

I'm starting a batch of blueberry mead tonight, using 2kg of berries I picked the other day.IMG_20210721_213933.jpeg

You just reminded me I've a urine sample to hand in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Bought an Irish Stout kit from the Range. Put it on yesterday and got it fermenting. As I was clearing away all the stuff I noticed it had a best before end date of February 2023.

I'm assuming the 2 weeks won't make any difference - anyone have experience of this? Am I in for a white knuckle ride of stomach agony?

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Bought an Irish Stout kit from the Range. Put it on yesterday and got it fermenting. As I was clearing away all the stuff I noticed it had a best before end date of February 2023.

I'm assuming the 2 weeks won't make any difference - anyone have experience of this? Am I in for a white knuckle ride of stomach agony?

No. Its sugar, it pretty much cannot go bad. The only issue with kits that are even years out of date is yeast viability, but with your date even that will be fine. Check to make sure its fermenting within say 48 hours, if its not. Let me know and i'll give you a new sachet. It will be though,