Home Brew

Adam

Guest bernardblack

I’m very tempted to start this journey. I’ve done a group brewing thing at a brewery which seemed starting forward enough....but the cost of the kit put me off.

Is it true that it’s easier to brew a stronger beer, as opposed to a 3/3.5 session beer?

14 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

I’m very tempted to start this journey. I’ve done a group brewing thing at a brewery which seemed starting forward enough....but the cost of the kit put me off.

Is it true that it’s easier to brew a stronger beer, as opposed to a 3/3.5 session beer?

Not really. It's easy enough to do both to be honest. You just work out what goes in in terms of fermentables to give you beer of a certain strength.

1 hour ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

18 days so far! I checked the gravity but found it hard to read the hydrometer but it was a long way from the yellow bar.  I'm sure the missus is getting annoyed about the constant bubbling while she is watching her stories.

It's maybe stuck with the temp drop during the night. I'd try and heat it up a little or wrap a towel or something around it during the night to try and retain some of the temperature. 

• 2 weeks later...

First time doing a proper grain brew went well (fingers crossed) only time will tell though. Really enjoyed doing it actually. Some amount of grain went in the bin though. Next time I will dry some put to put in a loaf, then after that its trying to find someone who keeps hens and swap for some eggs hopefully!

Anyway, milk stout is bubbling away, yeast chewing on a healthy OG of 1.060.

4 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Im finding it hard to read the hydrometer. If it reads the same tomorrow is it safe to bottle? That's been more than 4 weeks now. 

20200203_144904.jpg

Is that just a shade over 1.010? I would definitely bottle pronto. It's not going to go any further after four weeks. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, the tungston weasel said:

Put a NEIPA and wilko chochcmeister on Yesterday. IPA seems to be going ok although the porter hasent bubbled at all yet. If it dont start going tommorow i might find some more yeast to add

Home made NEIPA or kit? How do you combat oxidation? Believe they have a tendency to go brown rapid. Its putting me off trying one

Home made NEIPA or kit? How do you combat oxidation? Believe they have a tendency to go brown rapid. Its putting me off trying one
Definately a kit, would like to try a full all grain brew but think it would just be too time consuming.
Not really thought about oxidation though. It came as two pouches of light malt and a tube of hop oils. Just chucked it all in the fermenter.

On 03/05/2020 at 10:14, the tungston weasel said:

Definately a kit, would like to try a full all grain brew but think it would just be too time consuming.
Not really thought about oxidation though. It came as two pouches of light malt and a tube of hop oils. Just chucked it all in the fermenter.

You'll be ok. It's the flaked oats in an AG NEIPA that causes oxidation. The only way around it is to keg early and drink quickly.

On 03/05/2020 at 00:50, the tungston weasel said:

Put a NEIPA and wilko chochcmeister on Yesterday. IPA seems to be going ok although the porter hasent bubbled at all yet. If it dont start going tommorow i might find some more yeast to add

Don't worry about the airlock, the fermenter probably isn't air tight. I've got one that never bubbles. Just look for signs of Krausen forming and if so the yeast is doing it's job.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bottled the NEIPA yesterday. The early sample tastes good.

I moved the chocmeister Into the bottling bucket and it left a heap of gunk at the bottom. The SG was just over 1.010. The numbers seem ok do not sure if I misused the DME as I usually just use LME.

It's getting bottled anyway and I'll decide if its a success or failure about a month after.

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Adam said:

https://thegreatergood.co.uk/pages/shop

Anyone tempted to buy one of these? I got mine delivered earlier today after ordering last week. Quite excited to see how good it is.

I keep seeing adverts for this and massively tempted. Let me know how it goes.

I have a Sub but would be good to have a bit of variety on the go at the same time (eg an IPA on the Sub and a pilsner in the Pinter).