Home Brew

Adam

My brew is 10 days fermenting now. The temperature is between 18-20 so I think that may lengthen the fermentation. I just dry hopped last night but didn't put them into a bag. I was planning to bottle it with a muslin bag around the tap but not sure if that would get messy and clogged up quickly.

Other option is just letting it all go in the bottle and pouring them gently when drinking.

41 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Is there any point taking a gravity reading before the bubbling stops? 

Nah, if it's still bubbling it's still doing something. 

I see from your post above that you dumped the hops straight in. If bottling using a tap on the bottom of the fermentation vessel, most of the hops will just drop to the bottom and shouldn't pass through the tap.

Just ordered a heap of grains and hops online. Assuming I get time this weekend, a nice Two Hearted IPA clone and a coffee porter will soon be fermenting away [emoji106]

What calculators etc do you use? I am comfortable enough I think adjusting volumes of my recipe to BIAB, but this yeast starter thing.... I have seen some calculators etc for it but I dont understand the variables. Is there a simple formula for boosting up the yeast to the required cells?

There is a downloadable excel spreadsheet on BIAB Brewing that I occasionally use. To get started it's probably easier to follow someone's recipe or a clone recipe (there are loads available online and some of the shop give recipes, Malt Miller etc.).

Can't help with yeast starters, I always use liquid yeast.

There is a downloadable excel spreadsheet on BIAB Brewing that I occasionally use. To get started it's probably easier to follow someone's recipe or a clone recipe (there are loads available online and some of the shop give recipes, Malt Miller etc.).
Can't help with yeast starters, I always use liquid yeast.
Yeah it's a liquid yeast I have but from what I am reading online I need to make it into a starter first.

I am following a Greg Hughes recipe, am torn between full volume mash or do a wee dunk sparge. Either way though I will record everything I do and maybe use some spraymalt if I dont hit the OG. The yeast thing has me puzzled though.

Quick question. How often should I be conducting a gravity test? I'm just curious as to whether it upsets the build up of pressure (I've got one of those water funnels to allow it to expel an CO2).
Leave it fermenting for two weeks then test it. Disturbing it before then is pointless. There are no worries re pressure. Some people ferment under pressure The airlock is to prevent exposure to air.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, the jambo-rocker said:
Quick question. How often should I be conducting a gravity test? I'm just curious as to whether it upsets the build up of pressure (I've got one of those water funnels to allow it to expel an CO2).

Leave it fermenting for two weeks then test it. Disturbing it before then is pointless. There are no worries re pressure. Some people ferment under pressure The airlock is to prevent exposure to air.

What Bairnardo said. Two weeks min. It's usually done by then, but if you are unsure take two gravity tests over two days and if they are static, it's good to be bottled/kegged. If it leaks through the air lock (funnel) during fermentation, it's not a worry. Just leave it be. Lifting the lid to constantly check the brew just increases the chance of something nasty getting in the brew (unless you are trying to brew a lambic beer! 😉).

57 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:
How much does all this cost? I think there are people or places that will be better than me at brewing that sell the beer they make. If they poison you, you can sue.

Less than a pound a pint

Kits cost pennies a pint. Going more advanced is less than a pound a pint. If you get more serious it can be a bit more spendy on equipment in terms of initial outlay, but it soon pays itself back.

I've never brewed anything that has poisoned me! 

The main advantage is that you can start brewing beer to your own tastes. I prefer my own brews to the majority of shop bought options. 

A friend brought over some funky bottles he had for bottling my beer which is still bubbling. One of them is still full but 3+ years past the  best before. Will try it tomorrow.

The fermentation is taking ages because the living room can go as low as 15 degrees overnight and up to 21 if I light the fire. I'm wondering what effect that longer fermentation will have on the final beer. Maybe make it slightly stronger or increase the risk of bacteria ruining it. 

20200121_193925.jpg

15796361448024844086750782643568.jpg

5 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

A friend brought over some funky bottles he had for bottling my beer which is still bubbling. One of them is still full but 3+ years past the  best before. Will try it tomorrow.

The fermentation is taking ages because the living room can go as low as 15 degrees overnight and up to 21 if I light the fire. I'm wondering what effect that longer fermentation will have on the final beer. Maybe make it slightly stronger or increase the risk of bacteria ruining it. 

20200121_193925.jpg

15796361448024844086750782643568.jpg

^^^

giphy (5).gif

32 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

It won't make it stronger. There is still the same amount of fermentables for the yeast to turn to alcohol. How long has it been fermenting for now? 

3 minutes ago, Futureboy said:

It won't make it stronger. There is still the same amount of fermentables for the yeast to turn to alcohol. How long has it been fermenting for now? 

18 days so far! I checked the gravity but found it hard to read the hydrometer but it was a long way from the yellow bar.  I'm sure the missus is getting annoyed about the constant bubbling while she is watching her stories.