Home Brew

Adam

40 minutes ago, Futureboy said:

...while I am thinking about it. Another easy tip with kits is to slightly drop the brewlength (if instructions say 23L, drop it to 20L). It will slightly nudge up the ABV and increase the flavour. 

Had to look up spraymalt as I'd never heard of it. Might try it next time as I already have the sugar for the next kit so going to use it up. 

The ABV for my other kit (simcoe,single hop IPA) IS meant to be 5.6% already but I'll try to shorten the brewlength. 

I have an extra bag of hops from a previous failed brew that I had to dump so can I just bung them in with a different kind?

9 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Had to look up spraymalt as I'd never heard of it. Might try it next time as I already have the sugar for the next kit so going to use it up. 

The ABV for my other kit (simcoe,single hop IPA) IS meant to be 5.6% already but I'll try to shorten the brewlength. 

I have an extra bag of hops from a previous failed brew that I had to dump so can I just bung them in with a different kind?

What are the other hops you have left over?

Top easy tip for your next kit. Ditch the brewing sugar and use the same amount of Spraymalt instead. It vastly proves the taste of kit brews, for no extra effort [emoji106]
Need to get some spraymalt to make a yeast starter. Annoying as I didnt know this was required for liquid yeasts. Finances have dictated I cant start until after the 15th as I dont have money to buy a bag, scales or spraymalt atm. All of which I need. I have a big box of grain, lactose and hops outside awaiting my attention.

On 06/01/2020 at 18:08, Futureboy said:

...while I am thinking about it. Another easy tip with kits is to slightly drop the brewlength (if instructions say 23L, drop it to 20L). It will slightly nudge up the ABV and increase the flavour. 

What do you think of this water boiler that is in lidl at the moment? I had a look inside and there is an external element. 

It's only 7 litres though. Also there is a tap on it. 

IMG-20200109-WA0007.jpg

57 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

What do you think of this water boiler that is in lidl at the moment? I had a look inside and there is an external element. 

It's only 7 litres though. Also there is a tap on it. 

No idea about that one mate. Lots of folk use Burco or Buffalo boilers which seem to appear  second hand on fleabay a lot. I just use a burner with a separate gas bottle. Gas lasts for ages. 

This very one. £39 plus cost of gas. 

Screenshot_20200109-200825.png

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Think my kit brew may be infected. Has stalled/stopped about about 1.013 and has a very slight almost white wine taste about it

Somebody has probably dipped their boab in it.

Has @Shandon Par been round recently?

31 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

I've got a basic home brew lager kit and keen to get started this weekend on it. The problem I'll have is keeping the thing sterile. Having two cats and good place to store has me paranoid that their b*****ding hairs that get everywhere will ruin it.

Mate, it will be fine. I've got two shaggy dogs and never had an off brew since I started brewing about seven years ago. 

Don't use Milton's to sterilise. Use a proper steriliser like StarSan. Once it's in the bucket, leave it for two weeks and keep the lid on (use a lid with an airlock) until it's time to check the FG, even though it's tempting to have a sneaky peak. 

Sterilise your bottles or keg just before you decant and you'll be good.

Thats a full week my brew is going and it's still bubbling like mad.

Are you saying after another week should I bottle it or wait til the bubbling stops? I haven't added the hops yet either.

I plan to put a carbonation drop in each 500ml bottle as I don't want it to be flat

Are you saying after another week should I bottle it or wait til the bubbling stops? I haven't added the hops yet either.
I plan to put a carbonation drop in each 500ml bottle as I don't want it to be flat

Gravity the same for at least 2 days running.

2 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Bairnado's comment isn't wrong. Two days with a settled gravity can be bottled, but I just like to give it a full two weeks. The trub compacts at the bottom of the bucket and it gives the beer a chance to clear. 

1 carb drop in 500ml will be spot on. 

I just bottled my brew. Two carb drops since its a lager. Took 37 bottles. 2 weeks in the warm then out to the garage to condition for a wee while then il try. Not holdong out huge hopes tbh based on that wine like taste but who knows. From what I read the condituoning phase can change the flavour a lot so best not to judge early.

Bairnado's comment isn't wrong. Two days with a settled gravity can be bottled, but I just like to give it a full two weeks. The trub compacts at the bottom of the bucket and it gives the beer a chance to clear. 
1 carb drop in 500ml will be spot on.