Home Brew

Adam

Just had a look in the cupboard there as I remember picking some things up when the beast from the east was coming but I never got round to making it.
One of the pouches is a month out of date but the bags of yayo are long out of date. What's the worst that will happen if I use them? They've been stored dry and covered up. 
I'll need to pick up two fermenting buckets.
Love the pale ales.
20200102_174817.thumb.jpg.4ead9ecc9fd688f0768b7e75fc57d3c3.jpg
20200102_174812.thumb.jpg.4085623eefb4f7cf4f269e1e5ecd9ec1.jpg
20200102_174817.thumb.jpg.9d39d80f9e501a2d87bb509c1e6dc66c.jpg
They will be fine. Just brew them.

6 minutes ago, Futureboy said:

Kits in the main are pish, although some of the Cooper's ones are decent with some tweaks and fermenting them with a shorter brewlength.

It doesn't take much outlay to start brewing cracking beers. A cheeky wee IPA on the go not long ago laden with Cascade and Simcoe hops 😉

_20200102_192154.JPG

Edited by Futureboy

Just now, Futureboy said:

That was an extract brew.  BIAB has produced some crackers. Not sure if I could go full on all grain.

I will be doing my BIAB next time I get a few hours spare  Monday or Tuesday hopefully. Still need some bits and bobs. Mainly the bag itself. Dont have a wort chiller either so will have to let it cool itself which is a slight worry. We will see. 

I’ve made 5 different batches of 10L home brew which have all turned out really well with a mixture of lagers and stouts. There are simple recipes out there to follow, once you have the hang of it that’s when the fun begins playing around with different ingredients.

For newbies, make sure your kit is sterile or as close too when starting your home brew so invest in a good cleaning and sterilising product. The same applies when it comes to bottling, otherwise you’ll end up with bad beer.

I even had a few sticker labels made up with my dog on it for shits and giggles. DA502A42-FFBF-4728-A383-06ABAD978F47.jpgEB07EBCC-0489-4D84-862B-51BB71A22A00.jpg

87EF7C92-C2CB-448A-919D-916B3964F087.jpg

33 minutes ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

I’ve made 5 different batches of 10L home brew which have all turned out really well with a mixture of lagers and stouts. There are simple recipes out there to follow, once you have the hang of it that’s when the fun begins playing around with different ingredients.

For newbies, make sure your kit is sterile or as close too when starting your home brew so invest in a good cleaning and sterilising product. The same applies when it comes to bottling, otherwise you’ll end up with bad beer.

I even had a few sticker labels made up with my dog on it for shits and giggles. EB07EBCC-0489-4D84-862B-51BB71A22A00.jpg

That coaster is far from sterile.

17 hours ago, Futureboy said:

That was an extract brew.  BIAB has produced some crackers. Not sure if I could go full on all grain.

I'm already being left behind here. What is BIAB?  

Once I have the two kit pouches done I'm going to get a better set up and maybe convert my shed. Any advice on what to get?

31 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Once I have the two kit pouches done I'm going to get a better set up and maybe convert my shed. Any advice on what to get?

BIAB - Brew in a bag. It's a simpler way of all grain brewing using less equipment. I brew in the garage, using a gas burner and stainless brew kettle (the one in my pic above).

Doing it that way means you aren't using kits, but using grains, hops and selecting appropriate yeast strains. It's a bit more effort, but you are making quality beer that definitely doesn't taste "homebrew". 

6 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

A wooden thing, a bit like a house but smaller.

Had a disaster with one of my kits. I bought 2 x 25 litre tubs and lids but I needed to drill the holes out for the taps myself and it was only after pouring in the extract and sugar and filling up with water that I saw a leak around the seal so I had to transfer to the other tub. Thankfully that was a good seal but I could only make one of the batches.

It's bubbling away nicely in the corner of the living room because my outside shed would be too cold and I worried that the hot press would be too hot.

Temperature is between 19- 21 

15 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Had a disaster with one of my kits. I bought 2 x 25 litre tubs and lids but I needed to drill the holes out for the taps myself and it was only after pouring in the extract and sugar and filling up with water that I saw a leak around the seal so I had to transfer to the other tub. Thankfully that was a good seal but I could only make one of the batches.

It's bubbling away nicely in the corner of the living room because my outside shed would be too cold and I worried that the hot press would be too hot.

Temperature is between 19- 21 

Top easy tip for your next kit. Ditch the brewing sugar and use the same amount of Spraymalt instead. It vastly proves the taste of kit brews, for no extra effort 👍