Paris

Henrik's tongue

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been three times, two of those within the last year to see folk I know over there.

Never seen much pickpocketing compared to when I was in Barcelona where it was rife, but I've never seen homelessness as bad as in Paris. At night and in the rain, you'll see a lot of homeless folks at metro stations. Also, got to agree with the toilets, especially in pubs. If you're out and about, you can always nip into a hotel and ask and they'll probably be helpful enough to you. Again, try to use a bit of French before you use English.

In terms of tourist stuff, you can get round quite a lot of the stuff in a day or two. Sacre Coeur has cracking views although the Montmartre is a bit a dive. Worth a visit to the Trocadero if you're wanting an alternative view of the Eiffel tower.

I loved Paris, Ive never been in any other city with such impressive architecture round every corner.

I cant understand why people think its dirty, I distinctly remember hearing the teams of black men pressure washing the streets every morning. Im sure there are other areas not so well looked after but so does every city in the world.

The cars you see driving around the city are incredible (mostly with Arab number plates) and Paris remains the only place I have seen a Bugatti Veyron in public, parked right outside some fancy hotel.

There is a very interesting Han Solo style tomb in Pere Lachaise cemetery worth checking out. Its the grave of Victor Noir who was killed in a duel, his grave is now a fertility symbol due to the rather ample representation of his pistol. Id love to rubbish it but my girlfriend thought shed take the piss and give it a wee rub and lo and behold 10 months later we were both parents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dalou_-_tombeau_de_Victor_Noir_-_1.jpg

Go from your hotel, to the event, then straight back to hotel. Paris is easily the most horrible place I have ever been. Dirty, disgusting and the clichèd ignorant frenchman is exactly what you get.

Expensive shite hole aswell.

Honest, for me the only place I can compare it to in terms of filthyness is Amsterdam but Paris has none of the fun to compensate.

AVOID

Paris is dreadful. I've been to the third world and seen less deprivation and misery. Its the dirtiest, most deprived, unfriendly, hole of a place I've ever been to.

Whenever someone mentions paris, I just tell them to go to Italy instead.

I think these posts say more about you two than Paris. If you can't find something to enjoy in a city as large and diverse as Paris then you truly are two very dull people.

Or are you trying to be controversial. Either way same conclusion.

I think these posts say more about you two than Paris. If you can't find something to enjoy in a city as large and diverse as Paris then you truly are two very dull people.

Or are you trying to be controversial. Either way same conclusion.

Just imagine xbl and his family's celebrations if a plane were to crash into the Eiffel Tower. Scenes.

I went to Paris a few years back and was expecting it to be shit, but was very pleasantly surprised. I found that most people we talked to were very nice and helpful. There's tonnes of stuff to do and see that would be of interest to most people, the 'touristy' places such as the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Champs Elysee etc were good but there's loads of other things to do. As Jambomo mentions, the Montparnasse Tower was fantastic, the views over the city (including the Eiffel Tower) were amazing and a fraction of the amount of people there.

I'm off to Paris next month for 5 days for two Stephen King author events (yes I'm an anorak). I'm a huge Stephen King fan and I've never been to Paris so 2 birds, one stone etc.

I'm basically looking for suggestions for cool things to do when I'm there other than annoying Mr King.

Please note: "throw yourself off the Eiffel Tower" is not a welcome or helpul response. :P

Thanks in advance for any tips oh learned P & Bers.

You haven't mentioned what area you're staying in.

I hated everything French.

But, decided to take the missus to Paris for her birthday/Valentines Day last year.

It certainly changed my outlook.

Brilliant place, would go back anytime.

As said before, go out and wander. It's the best way to see it all.

Enjoy!

Just watch out for the Romany scam merchants at the major sites.

Been a few times and always enjoyed it. Different every time. Be prepared to walk miles further than you're used to( rather presumptuous as I don't know you) I remember being absolutely knackered around about ten thirty at night and wandered into the Latin quarter which is near to the notre dame. Now I haven't had a drink or a drug for over twenty five years but the sensory stimuli was unreal. Very busy and buzzing in a non threatening way. Full of reasonably priced restaurants and loads going on in the streets and lanes. Got back to our hotel after that and couldn't sleep a wink. Just to add we also took our kids and never felt threatened. Just use your common sense and youll be fine. Bon Voyage!

Lived there for two years and November is cold, so take some warm clothes and good comfortable walking shoes.

On arrival at CDG get the free shuttle to the train station to transfer onto the RER into the heart of the city. Air France bus can take hours depending on the traffic on the Peripherique.

Tell your missus not to carry a handbag, best to put your cash in the front pocket of your jeans. I personally never had any problems. Use the RER if possible as its super quick.

Louvre used to be half price on a Sunday but you could spend 5 days in there easily. Montmarte is a must see, if you go on a clear day pay the extra to go up on the roof of the Sacre Couer and visit the crypt.

It's amazing and you'll love it.

If you are on a budget most cafes do fixed price menus for the workers at lunchtime and you can get a two course meal very reasonably, albeit a limited menu, but try some local fayre.

If you are looking for food to take back to your hotel room, each arrondissement has a market where again the food is fresh and cheap, The French avoid supermarkets and buy fresh every day.

If going out to restaurants/cafes in the evening to eat look for places packed with French folk and avoid the tourist traps

Another tip they give out free maps at the airport and stations etc. If you get one don't walk down the street reading it or read it on the Metro. Singles you out as a tourist to any shady characters.

Also a lot of the better restaurants may seem pricey but they only plan to turn over their tables once in an evening as the French will take three or four hours over a meal. Not like here where they slap the bill down if you are over an hour.

If you haven't booked your Hotel we found plenty of cheap hotels in the Nation area which is great for transport links when we last visited.

Another thing , first time I went we flew into Paris Beauvais . No fucking where near Paris !

Budget holidays !

Its a bit out the way and the landing feels like someone chucking the plane violently onto the runway.

I've been to Paris loads of time but always really just stopping over or on my way to other places.

I really need spend more time in the place instead of passing through.

I've never had any problems speaking English there, even if people don't fully understand they are helpful enough, at least so I've found.

The worst things I've ever experienced there are extremely angry Algerian taxi drivers that drive like lunatics who only narrowly avoiding multiple fatal accidents on each trip but I think you should look on that as a sort of an adventure. The other thing is the fucked up computer keyboards.

The last time I was there I stayed in an area know as Stalingrad. Which is nice. OK it seemed a bit dodgy but there was lots of great street food. Best roast chicken I've ever had.

This is the most ridiculous nonsense. Paris is a beautiful, clean, vibrant city. Modern and cosmopolitan yet pulsating with history and romance.

Pish. It is the dirtiest place I have been anywhere in the world. I've never seen so many homeless people and so much alcoholism. I've lived in less miserable and filthy third world countries.

This post by XBL is insane drivel. Anyone reading should absolutely ignore.

Since you mentioned Italy though XBL, where do and don't you like?

I like Rome, Venice and Milan but I absolutely hate the Amalfi coast. An absolute shitehole stuck in a timewarp.

I've only briefly been to a few places in the north, passing through Milan, but I've spent a few weeks in the south, yes, the Amalfi coast, Salerno, Vietri, that sort of region. Beautiful place.

Mind you, that means flying into Napoli airport, and I had to go through it during the height of their garbage crisis a few years back, which made an already terrible place smell foul. A guy I know got kidnapped there too, so I don't recommend it. The areas around it though, such as Caserta and Salerno are great places though. Nice people, great food, lovely atmosphere. I've been twice for work related reasons, hoping to go again at some point.

Proposed to my fiancé this summer in Paris, lovely city.

Two things I would most recommend are going to see a cabaret show and a boat tour down the seine. We went to Le Lido on the Champs-Elysees. Incredibly entertaining and completely different from anything I've been to over here.

As for the boat tour we did a lunch tour, had a three course meal, with cheese, two bottles of wine and a cocktail, for a decent price, whilst getting the usual tourist sort of tour. Worked out well for me as my fiancé doesn't like wine so I ended up having two bottles and a cocktail by 1:30 in the afternoon.

Great place. Spent most of our time in cafes. Quite stereotypically touristy but a fantastic place to go.

Archived