free trains

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friend fares are only available from certain stations. You can't get it from alloa but its available from Stirling.

I must admit at least a few ticket inspectors have been pretty decent and told us about the friend fare and gave us the deal from Alloa.

I have had taxis twice off scotrail in the last year. Once because snow cancelled.the train and once because someone jumped in front of the train at carnoustie. Both times I didn't even have a ticket and was just waiting at the station.

I was got a whole 50-odd seater coach to myself from Dundee to Edinburgh because of engineering stops in Fife. Just jumped on and didn't even show a ticket. Thought it was going to go through Fife and pick up at all the stations but just took me straight through and beat the ETA of the train.

Did you walk faster out the station in normal?

Nope, although I do sometimes haha. It's glorious when the barriers are already open and you haven't got a ticket. Sometimes I've quite literally danced my way through the open gates in joy while my mates tear up their pointless tickets. I once tried to get a cheaper fare from Perth to Glasgow by telling the ticket booth man I had come from Stirling, only for him to say "How could you have come from Stirling? Stirling station is shut for maintenance." I started stuttering and stammering before saying "eh, aye, it wasn't Stirling, sorry, it was Dunblane." He's like "why did you say Stirling then?" I say "I dunno mate...I'm just stupid."

Nope, although I do sometimes haha. It's glorious when the barriers are already open and you haven't got a ticket. Sometimes I've quite literally danced my way through the open gates in joy while my mates tear up their pointless tickets. I once tried to get a cheaper fare from Perth to Glasgow by telling the ticket booth man I had come from Stirling, only for him to say "How could you have come from Stirling? Stirling station is shut for maintenance." I started stuttering and stammering before saying "eh, aye, it wasn't Stirling, sorry, it was Dunblane." He's like "why did you say Stirling then?" I say "I dunno mate...I'm just stupid."

If you get to the ticket booth man in queen street tell him you came from Bellgrove (they might not believe High Street)

Guest The Phoenix

Bishopbriggs is the correct answer.

£6.90 return from Kilmarnock to Glasgow city centre is a lot cheaper than going by car. We have also just booked a return journey for 8 of us to travel to Inverness and back, total price for all 8? £96. That's the cheapest possible way to get there and back.

ETA ok, the megabus would probably be cheaper, but its a bus and buses are w**k.

How'd you manage that mate? We're looking to go on train but it's too expensive. Only 3 or 4 of us though.

How'd you manage that mate? We're looking to go on train but it's too expensive. Only 3 or 4 of us though.

Phone Scotrail directly and tell them the date of travel and they should be able to sort you out mate. (limited number of friends fare tickets are available each day though, so if you're not quick it can be sold out) the one we have booked it for is 7th December for Ross County away.

For those fans planning to use this for going to Ross County away please note the train from Dingwall to Inverness is at 16:38, the next one is then not until 19:15.

Not much use for football fans and a peculiarity I would have thought Scotrail would have sorted out since County went up to the big league, however according their website it seems not.

For those fans planning to use this for going to Ross County away please note the train from Dingwall to Inverness is at 16:38, the next one is then not until 19:15.

Not much use for football fans and a peculiarity I would have thought Scotrail would have sorted out since County went up to the big league, however according their website it seems not.

By the time the timetabling department had it sorted they'd be back down again.

Ticket inspectors are arseholes. Especially the ones that assume what station you got on, rather than just asking you. They're always raging after you pull them up for it and they have to come back and hand you back money and a new ticket.

Dodging fares is a great passtime. It's always class when you sit down and some sound c**t has left their valid ticket in the carriage. I try to go one step better and leave mine on the seats in the stations themselves, because I'm a top bloke.

Ticket inspectors are arseholes. Especially the ones that assume what station you got on, rather than just asking you. They're always raging after you pull them up for it and they have to come back and hand you back money and a new ticket.

Dodging fares is a great passtime. It's always class when you sit down and some sound c**t has left their valid ticket in the carriage. I try to go one step better and leave mine on the seats in the stations themselves, because I'm a top bloke.

Same applies for parking tickets for pay & display car parks, lost count of the amount of times folk have handed me a ticket which is still valid for a couple of hours as they leave. I try to do the same in return where I can.

Falkirk council started being bams about this a while back, the car park outside Grahamston station they started making you enter the registration number of your car when you paid for your ticket so it couldnt be transferred to another vehicle. Pr1cks.

Plenty buses after the game to get to Inverness. Doesn't cost much, and is quicker than the train.

Spending the evening in the pub after the game, time for food and a carryout is now considered "not much use for football fans"?

You're doing it wrong.

I've done the old "I got on at another station" trick a few times. Many a time I "got on at south gyle" after arriving at Edinburgh Waverley after getting on at Kirkcaldy.

Archived