free trains

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a free train from Inverkeithing to Dunfermline Town on Friday. The conductor was two people away from me when the train stopped. No ticket inspectors at the gate either.

RIP free trains. Perth has been taken by the demons.

They are the devil! Their introduction at Waverley and Haymarket killed free trains. That and I got older and thought it would be too embarrassing to be caught fare dodging.

Not like this guy...

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/14/rail-passengers-hedge-fund-fare-dodger-43000-prosecuted-east-sussex-london

Going from Greenfaulds to Glasgow last week, conductors asked for tickets both ways seeing as trains were quiet but in both cases they merely saw a flash of orange and said "that's fine". Could have been a Keith-Huntly ticket from 1998 for all they knew.

PS. I know Glasgow has barriers but I could easily have been going to one of the numerous intermediate stops.

Got a free train from Inverkeithing to Dunfermline Town on Friday. The conductor was two people away from me when the train stopped. No ticket inspectors at the gate either.

Dunfermline Town is one of very few stations I've seen with an effective 'human barrier'. Can you not just go down the ramp / tunnel towards Woodmill Road to avoid them though?

If you're fare dodging is hampered by some ticket machines then you're not doing it right. Just walk behind someone else when they put their ticket in the machine.

That works in London due to volume of passengers. If you did that at Waverley you would just look like a sex pest. Might get away with it at Haymarket, but I suspect you'd get some funny looks. Not worth the shame.

Going from Greenfaulds to Glasgow last week, conductors asked for tickets both ways seeing as trains were quiet but in both cases they merely saw a flash of orange and said "that's fine". Could have been a Keith-Huntly ticket from 1998 for all they knew.

PS. I know Glasgow has barriers but I could easily have been going to one of the numerous intermediate stops.

Dunfermline Town is one of very few stations I've seen with an effective 'human barrier'. Can you not just go down the ramp / tunnel towards Woodmill Road to avoid them though?

Not if you're coming from Edinburgh/Inverkeithing/Rosyth as it's on the other side of the track! Plus they sometimes have ticket inspectors on that side of the track. The true fare dodger would stay on until Queen Margaret and walk back in to town.

Archived