free trains

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on one now, but the work paid for it. Just looking in to Lancaster City's park just now. Always fancied going there since you can see it from the train.

Never had you down as an MP.

Seems like this is an appropriate enough thread to ask.

I'd never had this problem before but on the train home from Edinburgh on Saturday after linking from Aberdeen, we were told that we're not allowed to use our 16-25 pass while buying tickets when on the train. Is this true or was this ticket inspector just being a jobsworth?

I'd never had this problem before but on the train home from Edinburgh on Saturday after linking from Aberdeen, we were told that we're not allowed to use our 16-25 pass while buying tickets when on the train. Is this true or was this ticket inspector just being a jobsworth?

I think the way it works is that unless you are unable to buy a ticket, ie from an unstaffed station with no ticket issuing facilities, you will be charged the full standard fare for the journey. There are usually signs all over the stations telling you this

If you've avoided the ticket inspector on a train going into Glasgow Central and you come into platforms 11-15, head down in the lift and you can dodge the ticket barriers. Saved me a fortune getting early morning trains when I was in uni.

Nope, that's definitely true. You have to buy them at the station unless it is a station which doesn't have ticket issuing facilities. I don't think I've ever seen someone allowed to use their railcard on the train.

I think the way it works is that unless you are unable to buy a ticket, ie from an unstaffed station with no ticket issuing facilities, you will be charged the full standard fare for the journey. There are usually signs all over the stations telling you this

Nope, that's definitely true. You have to buy them at the station unless it is a station which doesn't have ticket issuing facilities. I don't think I've ever seen someone allowed to use their railcard on the train.

Fair enough. It's actually the first time I'd heard that. I never really pay enough attention to those signs which is more a character flaw on my own part. Maybe it was his attitude towards us that threw me, you know the patronising kind.

Most of the time they seem quite relaxed in getting a discounted ticket from Longniddry/Wallyford to Edinburgh (and all but that time on the way back), as there are definitely ticketing issuing facilities at those stops.

Never used to be a problem but it came in and was enforced during the last year I had one. I think the ticket guys get into shit if they do it.

Ultimate jobsworth behavior is charging someone the full fare (ie peak price) on the train if they boarded at a station with an office/machine.

Never used to be a problem but it came in and was enforced during the last year I had one. I think the ticket guys get into shit if they do it.

Ultimate jobsworth behavior is charging someone the full fare (ie peak price) on the train if they boarded at a station with an office/machine.

Getting a train from Motherwell and the ticket office is packed with three couples organising the most convoluted journey ever taken. Seeing that I would miss the train to Glasgow and be waiting 25 minutes for the next one I head to the platform with my five pound note that the ticket machine wouldn't even look at, followed by an elderly gent who has also took the huff with the wait.

Get on the train and the conductor comes round. Looks exactly like Margaret Curran but with hair like Oor Willie. Old man pulls out his concession card. " half to Blantyre". NAP. Ticket dished out. She turns to me and I ask for a return to Glasgow. Not only do I get a lecture about buying my ticket before I board, she charges me peak fare! Cow, if you are going to bump me at least leave me in peace.

I clearly missed a trick because the next guy up the carriage, who also got on at Motherwell, asks for a ticket from Airbles to get his Cheap Day Fare. I was raging.

Just hot the train from Stirling to Aberdeen and payed the full fare. Although the ticket collector came round I never handed my ticket over and he just walked by. Could have easy bumped it. Think the last stop before Aberdeen was portlethen (sP)

I hate c***s who.put bags on the free seat next to them especially when the train is full.

I occasionally get rail tickets where my return ticket to Aberdeen hasn't been sooked up by the machine (usually because I arrive back late). When this happens and I go to Brechin via Montrose the next week, I just get a single down and use the old ticket for the return as it's perfectly 'valid' (within a month). Even more pleasing when I've got a bus down and got the train back.

Eta: Or just buy for Dyce for a very small additional sum and use the old "can I get through for the shop?" routine when alighting at Aberdeen.

I occasionally get rail tickets where my return ticket to Aberdeen hasn't been sooked up by the machine (usually because I arrive back late). When this happens and I go to Brechin via Montrose the next week, I just get a single down and use the old ticket for the return as it's perfectly 'valid' (within a month). Even more pleasing when I've got a bus down and got the train back.

I managed to get a whole month on an open return using it every weekend.

Always pleasing when they don't stamp it.

I managed to get a whole month on an open return using it every weekend.

Always pleasing when they don't stamp it.

Even if they do, you just say a week later that you broke your return journey where you got on. The conductor at Montrose doesn't know I wasn't in Edinburgh that morning when using a marked Edinburgh to Aberdeen ticket and assumes fair game as the barriers should have taken it had it been used already.

Archived