The 50 Best Posters in P&B History

Marshmallo

Can't believe only 25 people voted for Swampy tbh.

Absolutely fantastic poster who is articulate, informative and always readable across an absurdly wide range of topics.

Only downside is he's a Morton fan but then I suppose we all have our afflictions.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Marshmallo said it would be decision time tonight. We obviously know who the top two are, but it'll be interesting to see what order they have been voted in.

I'm going for:

1. Twinkle

2. beermonkey

Surprised "Fotbawmad" (sic) and "Gordopolis" didn't make it, right enough.

Fingers crossed, champ. Got the whole family around waiting on the result and ive not long finished making a party suzie

1. dundeebarry

What you said: “For his Leigh Griffiths Blog”

Most of his posts can simply have you roaring with laughter.”

Cunto's probably got a million votes already, quite simply the funniest poster on the site.”

“Legend. And now a published legend.”

“How P&B should be. Good laugh and doesn't take himself too seriously.”

“funniest poster on the site.”

“I enjoy humorous posts more than anything else on Pie & Bovril. Dundeebarry is the trademark 'funny poster'. He has a great way with words and I always enjoy reading his posts. He has been a bit quiet lately (obviously due to the writing of his book) and the forum has certainly been missing his inputs.”

“Leigh Griffiths Blog was the reason I joined. Very very funny guy.”

“Liked his early work. Found it a bit laboured after a while but deserves a place.”

“needless to say, the man is a legend. Hilarious and all round guid guy.”

“P&B would be better if everyone was this drug addled.”

“a guy who can always raise a smile, no matter the subject”

“p&b legend, nuff said.”

Did he get any first places?: Just a few aye, sixteen to be precise.

The poll: The stats are very impressive. Only three other posters received more than sixteen nominations in total. Barry did it with just his first places. He received 32 votes in total, with other votes as follows – six seconds, a third, two fourths, four fifths, a sixth, a seventh and an eighth. This gave him a points tally of 272, which was 94 ahead of Swampy in second place.

The poster:

In the end it wasn’t remotely close. You have spoken in your droves and the best poster in the history of Pie and Bovril is a man who has gone on to become a published author who is making mainstream national media appearances primarily off the back of his posts on here. dundeebarry, take a bow.

One day in 2010, someone at the BBC must have been steaming. They decided that it would be a good idea to give Leigh Griffiths a platform to write a blog. I can’t remember why anyone allowed this to happen, but I’m glad they did. The blog itself was pretty uninspiring IIRC, and it didn’t run for many instalments. What it did do, however, was to provide the inspiration for one of the most famous threads in P&B history. Barry was someone I hadn’t really seen as a standout at that point, but he took it upon himself to put together a phenomenal piece of writing which would be the first in a line of posts which became known as “The Real Leigh Griffiths blog”.

Judging by his lofty position, most of you have read the thread so I won’t go into masses of detail. What I will say though is that it was fantastically well written by a guy who has a real flair for writing and can develop characters as well as anyone I’ve read in a long time. That may sound over the top for posts on a football forum, but it’s 100% true. I used to make sure I kept up to date with any new blog entries before I read anything else on the forum at the time, and it was because of the gloriously surreal alternative reality which Barry presented. Leigh may have been the title character but the star of the blog was Jocky Scott. I genuinely believe that Jocky is exactly as Barry painted him in the blog, and it is a very vivid image which I have in my mind. He established a large cast over a prolonged period of time and put them in mental situations, but we were still able to take a real interest in their situations. It was obviously hilariously funny (which was the main selling point for most), but there were a number of touching moments which added a different layer to the reading experience.

Outwith the blog I still feel Barry would be right up the poll, and that’s primarily due to his humour in General Nonsense. I loved the blog, but my personal favourite contributions from Barry have been in the Horrific Club Photos thread. His patter is absolutely phenomenal and he’s got a way with words. Some of the anecdotes he’s produced are incredible. This is a guy who’s obviously seen a perty or two in his lifetime and he can tell a story on those subjects better than almost anyone else on here. Anyone who’s met him says he’s just as sound in real life as he is on here, and I believe it was him who organised the Dundee bus crawl. His contributions to the divisional sections are a decent read as well. He’s obviously a guy who is hugely passionate about the club he supports and I respect that. I particularly liked the Dundee team photo from ages ago where the goalkeeper had a parrot on his shoulder. The Dundee fans are a bit of a mixed bag but Barry is one of the best there is.

What I noticed in the voting was that there are definitely factions within P&B. People were voting for others I’d put in the same sort of group as them. This wasn’t the case for Barry. His appeal cuts across every demographic on here. The blog is probably the most popular thread there’s been on the site, and his patter across the board means he’s a firm favourite. He’s been missed in his quieter spell, which he used to write his book which has recently been released. I’m sure it’ll be a great success and a gateway to further opportunities. A guy of Barry’s talent deserves any rewards that come his way, he’s got a brilliant style of writing and he’s clearly grafted hard. Any reviews I’ve seen from people on here have been positive and I’m not in the least bit surprised. Congratulations on the book and congratulations on your first place in the poll.

Well done to Marshmallo as well on the good write-ups. This has been a fantastic thread.

Correct decision from the masses. Congratulations dundeebarry!

Also, well done to Marshmallo. You've done an excellent job.

Cheers guys. After 30,000 words across them I'm quite glad to be done!

Archived