The 50 Best Posters in P&B History

Marshmallo

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

43. xbl

What you said?:The forums biggest Scottish independence supporter and he winds up unionist tards.”

Did he get any first places?: No

The poll: xbl finished level on points with magee, but received four nominations to magee’s three. His highest nomination was a third place, in addition to which he received a sixth, a seventh and an eighth.

The poster: Most people will be surprised to see xbl this far down in the list. He’s one of the most prolific and long-term posters in the history of the forum, and he has been responsible for a good number of memorable moments over the years. Some of that was before my time, but even then I have read repeated accounts of these incidents which shows just how often they are discussed – from his feud with Ron Burgundy, to print outs of his posts being stuck onto Berwick Rangers’ dressing room walls (is this actually true?), to throwing people through windows in University, xbl has certainly made a repeated impact on the forum over a prolonged period of time.

The Burgundy feud was before my time as I have already said, but I seem to recall reading that Burgundy was keen on posting extracts from xbl’s Bebo blog on the forums, with one particular “I wouldn’t be averse!!” quote still occasionally mentioned. Burgundy also registered an alias called “xbass Barrymore” which makes me laugh far more than it should. Others would be able to give far better accounts of this time period than me.

My personal favourite xbl moment was the infamous “averagey looking cocktease” post after the big man got kb’d in the Fubar or Dusk on a Saturday night. This topic has obviously been brought up a fair few times (I could be wrong but I believe I have had more than one gold star for reposting it in its entirety), but I still feel this is an underrated post. It’s unquestionably one of the all-time top four or five in the history of Pie and Bovril in my opinion. That xbl was able to come back from that (not to mention threads about locking front doors, stating a preference for “muslimy looking women” (whatever that’s supposed to mean), celebrating 9/11 etc etc) is testament to his longevity and generally good posting.

And it is the generally good posting which I will finish on. Xbl is actually a funny, bright guy when he wants to be (unless he’s talking about Darren Fletcher). His patter in the independence threads is repetitive but he comes across as generally well informed, and he has some good putdowns at times. Xbl is also the man who first used and popularised the term which is, in my opinion anyway, the greatest patter in the history of Pie and Bovril – “box office”. Qual patter. The seethe which this generated in its early days was incredible – for anyone who wasn’t around, imagine the seethe from the likes of Old Man Danger towards the dece lads multiplied by about ten times. It really is a superb phrase.

Should xbl be higher in the list? Probably, but ultimately the people have spoken. At least you’ve got Christmas to look forward to m8.

The Berwick story is true. His posts were used as motivation in the dressing room before the Championship showdown in 2007. We won 1-0. Massive pitch invasion to celebrate the championship with SimonLitchie staying far too long in the away end ranting and pointing at the celebrating crowd. Xbl was defiantly Berwick Rangers 12th man that day against his own team.

I think the reaction to my placing says it all, doesn't it? Post after post, which no other poster so far has got. Shows that I am kind of a big deal here. I expected to be a few places higher (I was predicting mid to late 30s), but I'm not too surprised. Seems you all are...should have voted for me then! :lol:

Good write-up, although presumably through both being before your time you haven't mentioned his gimmicks as The Grey Ghost or Vectron.

The Grey Ghost is displeased, by Vectron!

I remember both. Both were awful. Should probably have included them though tbh.

Archived