St Andrews thread

MrFanA

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the end of the day yes it was an exciting game and I dare say a cracker for the neutral but I can tell you that neither manager was too impressed after the game.

We shouldn't be conceding four goals to a side like Glenrothes, admittedly when ever we went forward we looked like scoring but didn't look great at the back. John Martin gave Craig and James as hard a time as many stikers have with his strength, guile and movement.

Ok we are through but must do better.

I didn't think Ricky or Ryan had particularly poor games either, however, when Jamie and Graeme came on they offered something different

Why should St Andrews not be conceding 4 goals against Glenrothes...on the day Glenrothes were the better team as stated by the St Andrews manager whom I know well at the end of the game..would never have thought on the day that you were the super league team...credit should be given when it's due and Glenrothes certainly deserved that on Saturday...not many teams go away from home score 4 goals and lose...all the best in the next round

Glenrothes definitely brought the game to St Andrews and made them work for the win. In my opinion the defence was not to blame. I was going to say Craig Wedderburn was man of the match as he thwarted many attacks and made a good few runs up dragging the midfield with him at times. Craig even scored. James in defence done a good job too. Seen him steal the ball more times than i can mention to prevent crosses or decisive passes.

Glenrothes turned up with everything to gain. St Andrews looked complacent at first. Then they were made to fight to win. And what a battle it was. Glenrothes showed us that we are sitting where we are in the league for a reason. But on the flip side we proved we have what it takes to come back from behind.

Nothing can be taken away from Glenrothes, they performed just as well as the saints but lacked the ability to steal and keep the game. All credit to them though. They put on a great show and gave us a good run for our money.

Even funnier was the Glenrothes support. Colourful language would be me trying to be nice. With the woman shouting louder and dirtier slurs than the males. And what was with the Glenrothes nutjob pacing the saints supporters side shouting his repetitive nonsense! I bet he was committee too lol. It was so hysterical and odd to see this that it must of been a ploy to affect the players or the bench or both. You would surely hold your own support at your side. He was the only glens supporter at our side and he was louder than all the saints support. Well until the goals which we gladly rubbed in.

Funny times and good result for us. Well played glens but no cigar this time.

Glenrothes definitely brought the game to St Andrews and made them work for the win. In my opinion the defence was not to blame. I was going to say Craig Wedderburn was man of the match as he thwarted many attacks and made a good few runs up dragging the midfield with him at times. Craig even scored. James in defence done a good job too. Seen him steal the ball more times than i can mention to prevent crosses or decisive passes.

Glenrothes turned up with everything to gain. St Andrews looked complacent at first. Then they were made to fight to win. And what a battle it was. Glenrothes showed us that we are sitting where we are in the league for a reason. But on the flip side we proved we have what it takes to come back from behind.

Nothing can be taken away from Glenrothes, they performed just as well as the saints but lacked the ability to steal and keep the game. All credit to them though. They put on a great show and gave us a good run for our money.

Even funnier was the Glenrothes support. Colourful language would be me trying to be nice. With the woman shouting louder and dirtier slurs than the males. And what was with the Glenrothes nutjob pacing the saints supporters side shouting his repetitive nonsense! I bet he was committee too lol. It was so hysterical and odd to see this that it must of been a ploy to affect the players or the bench or both. You would surely hold your own support at your side. He was the only glens supporter at our side and he was louder than all the saints support. Well until the goals which we gladly rubbed in.

Well said mate I thought the Glens did really well and made a great game of it and I said at full time it was a pity there had to be a loser as both teams served up a cracker...all the best in the next round

Someone said we are playing Forfar this weekend but the club website says its Falkirk. Any idea which one it is?

We're playing Forfar Athletic in a friendly at Station Park, Forfar KO 11-00. Forfar were due to play Rangers but that game was cancelled due to the internationals.

The website says Forfar Athletic, Falkirk are at Dundee

The St Andrews website did say Falkirk at first though. Hence the question.

Should be a good game but sadly i wont make it due to work. Hope the boys do well. All the best!

He is louder than any support mate. Should have asked him for all the latest gossip as he's not afraid to talk out of school.

Lol he was a character and a half.

How did the boys get on today at Forfar? Anybody know?

Got beat 3-2..

Not a great 1st half from saints and went down 2 nil at half time..

managed to keep the ball a bit better in 2nd half and scored 2 good goals 1st Wedderburn 2nd Mcinness.

Big Craig Wedderburn is a machine. Playing good games and even scoring on quite a few occasions. Im sure he is on about 5 goals in all competitions so far! Better than some midfielders lol. He is a asset to the team when his head is in the game. Definitely one of my top players in the team.

Good to hear Ryan putting one past the keeper. Need some more of that action from him in the league. He has the potential to be a solid midfielder. Work rate is spot on. Be it sometimes over the top on tackles, just needs to learn to keep the heed! Sometimes its worth not putting your foot into a hopeless challenge and take it on the chin rather than building up a persona of being a wee pitbull. Refs remember well. Dont be a marked man.

Good workout against a very strong Forfar side, first half we gave them too much room to play. Second half we increased the tempo and looked the better for it, great goal from Craig, bet he wishes big Marv was still on the pitch lol and a typically barnstorming run from Ryan and quick to react to the rebound when big Dods couldn't get his feet moving quick enough.

Thanks to Forfar Athletic for the game and the hospitality shown to us, great bunch of people up their. Know exactly where they want to go and aren't greedy in their aspirations

Well played both teams today. Thorniewood played a pretty physical game. I feel the saints had to raise with strength and determination to match them. Which they did and held there own and came out fighting for every challenge.

Thornie's keeper played a blinder and was unlucky to lose 2 goals. Pulling off superb save after save. Seeley hit a cracking free-kick that looked like slotting in the top left shelf when up popped the keeper from behind the wall to pull off the save of the game possibly. I thought he was going to take them to penalties. Jamie Mackie made sure that didnt happen. Making a nice run and feeding a nice pass that created the first goal, then bursting through the away defence to collect the ball, hit a shot and go in off a deflection. And he wasn't even on the park long after coming on a sub well into the second half. Super sub support when they need it.

Richard in the saints goals had the best game i saw him have this season. I must admit i had my hands raising up to my eyes on a few occasions but he done the job every time. Applause to his performance. Wasn't impressed by Kamils performance on the other hand. He lacked the precision in his play. Losing the ball far too much. Trying to keep it too long and getting mugged by Thornies heavies left, right and centre. Strength and precision missing in action.

Sibanda done well to stay on the park. I thought he was going to crack but he kept it together. He was taking a lot of heavy attention from thornie defenders and was right to stand his ground. A wee bit chest pumping that could of easily escalated. But kudos for using the heed. Progress in mentality after coming up from amateur will be his key. He can only improve. Great prospects.

Every body else played a good solid performance and should be happy about how they played. The victory was well fought and well deserved.

And i think it did hit his arm. James went down and the ball looked like it took a bounce then hit him on the arm. His arm was by his side and it looked like he went down to take it on the belly because it was low. His arm never moved from his side so it wasn't deliberate. Not that it matters. The ref was not in clear sight of the actual incident. Hi view obstructed by many players darting about in the box. The linesman was slightly behind James and was on the opposite side of the said arm. No clear vision made the ref make the right decision in my opinion. To give a penalty when you know you definitely never saw it would be unprofessional. And luckily for us the linesman missed it too.

Unlucky to Thornies, if only he saw. Things might of been different.

And i think it did hit his arm. James went down and the ball looked like it took a bounce then hit him on the arm. His arm was by his side and it looked like he went down to take it on the belly because it was low. His arm never moved from his side so it wasn't deliberate. Not that it matters. The ref was not in clear sight of the actual incident. Hi view obstructed by many players darting about in the box. The linesman was slightly behind James and was on the opposite side of the said arm. No clear vision made the ref make the right decision in my opinion. To give a penalty when you know you definitely never saw it would be unprofessional. And luckily for us the linesman missed it too.

Unlucky to Thornies, if only he saw. Things might of been different.

Very frustrating from our point of view, from our vantage point in the dugout the penalty claim was very clear to see and if given then result could have been so different, as your comment suggests, Referees do make mistakes, so this is one we will take on the chin, All the best in the next round,

Archived