NFL London

Sloop John B

Well somebody had to start a new thread in an attempt to break up the monolith of the NFL thread...

The people of the UK have not one, not two but THREE games to go and watch now in London next year. Featuring,the Oakland Raiders, Atlanta Falcons , and Last but most certainly least the Jacksonville Jaguar sWho will they play? Are you interested in going? Will it be as good as the last game? and those who have been what are the things to do etc...

Also discussions about the upcoming 49ers vs Jaguars and the possibility of a permanent team can come in here..

Given that I have a wee bit of a soft spot for the Raiders & my pal really likes the Falcons I reckon we will probably head down for both of those games, possibly the Jags game if they're playing a decent team.

I'd love it if the Bears were over for one of the games. Would be nice to get pissed off by their inconsistency in person.

No shock that two of the lowest attended teams as well as the middle of the road Falcons have been invited. Don't get me wrong it is great to see more games coming to the UK.

I read on sportsnet.ca that the L.A. Council voted 14-0 to work towards returning an NFL Franchise to America's second largest city. A.E.G. have drawn up a $1.5billion state of the art Football facility next to the Staples Centre in downtown Los Angeles. Work won't start until a franchise has been secured though. I guess that makes sense ;)

Mexico City had one a few years back. I think Germany deserves a game but they don't seem to even discuss that possibility. If they want to stay in the British Isles then Murrayfield, Celtic Park, the Millennium Stadium,Old Trafford and Croke Park would all be viable venues.

Mexico City had one a few years back. I think Germany deserves a game but they don't seem to even discuss that possibility. If they want to stay in the British Isles then Murrayfield, Celtic Park, the Millennium Stadium,Old Trafford and Croke Park would all be viable venues.

In sure I heard an interview with alistair kirkwood saying due to logistics it would not be possible to stage it anywhere other than London. Not entirely sure what those logistical problems where.

Yea the Cardinals played the 49ers at the Azteca I believe. I'm sure they got over 100,000 for it. If I remember correctly it was a Monday Night game

Cards v 49ers was the first divisional game played outside the US (may even have been the first regular season game) - friendlies have been played in UK, Ireland and Japan too I believe.

Great that the UK is getting 3 games and while some are negative on the teams, I think it is great progress and great we are getting different teams all the time.

While I've said I'm not against a UK franchise it is good to hear that it isn't on the plans at the moment. The games are a real football celebration and hopefully the no franchise talk means NFL fans, whatever their opinions, can attend these games without fear of 'sending the wrong message'

There is no danger of a UK game outside London. It's all about transport infrastructure and London being a hub for substantial nfl fan bases in Germany and the low countries as well as UK fan base. Wembley has exclusivity in Europe for reg season nfl games til 2018. There are also issues with the size of the pitch which rule out the likes of old Trafford.

Do we know when we will hear what the pre-game entertainment etc is going to be for the game later this month?

I'm hoping it is better than the Vikings game!

Anyone else going to T. Square on the Saturday?

Edited by Simplistic

There is no danger of a UK game outside London. It's all about transport infrastructure and London being a hub for substantial nfl fan bases in Germany and the low countries as well as UK fan base. Wembley has exclusivity in Europe for reg season nfl games til 2018. There are also issues with the size of the pitch which rule out the likes of old Trafford.

On the issue of pitch sizes am I right in thinking when the London's Monarch played at white hart lane it was on a shorter pitch as the pitch never measured the full 100yds!

Indeed, it'd be as easy for most Germans etc. to get to London as it would be for the likes of most of us. That's why London's the place for it. I can see them keeping up the volume of games here for a while, until the fanbase is properly captured, then they might start shifting one of the games in later years to other places, like Germany.

I used to be keen on the idea of murrayfield/old trafford etc getting a game, but having been to Wembley for the Vikes game I'm changed my mind.

London is the place for this game. The city was full of nfl jrrseys all weekend and the regent st fan zone was packed, yet the city was big enough to cope with a major street closure.

I was blown away by Wembley. It's a fantastic venue and the transport links are great.

Expensive if you are wanting to attend all the games (I spent a fortune at one!).

I'm keen to see the road teams for next year before I pick a game. Favoring the Raiders right now.

I think the key to see if the game can be played outside of London (I understand the point on transport, but these are not limiting imo) is too see how the Collage game between UCF and Pen State is received at Croke Park next season. Until the announcement that the Raiders are coming over, I was planning to go to Dublin instead of my normal jaunt to London, still would like to but funds are stretched as it is, so unless I win a lot of money it's back to London I go.

BTW anyone who's heading to the Jags game, I do recommend getting to the Green Man Pub near Wembley for a few pints beforehand, the Colchester Giants normally hold a "tailgate" party there, basically the beer garden is taken over by a huge amount of NFL fans but they have decent beer/cider on offer and often have the BBQ on the go early for the burgers/hotdogs. The 4 times I've been to the IS games, I've always headed up there for a few pints before getting my seat and for the Vikings game the atmosphere was superb.