Fifa careers, for the traditionalists.

parsforlife

Basically similar to football manager threads for those of us that know career mode is still where its at.

I'm starting out as Accrington and going to see where I can end up. In 13 I started as York and by the end I was comfortable in my position at inter, not dominating but a strong team who picked up a couple of trophies most years. I was sacked once in that journey during my time in Seria b IIRC and played a few seasons in Austria which was interesting.

I'm playing in world class and started with default squads.

In 13 I tended to use inverted wingers fairly often but one look at my squad showed that wasn't happening so I tried to figure out a style during my pre-season matches , long balls up to beattie seemed to be working so I was ready for that to feature in my play, until he broke his ankle, 30 mins into our first competitive game. Since then i have tended get it wide and use crosses in a traditional 4-4-2 which seemed to be working , I also seem to concede quite a lot from crosses as well though.

I struggled In the transfer market and ended up bringing in 3 squad players on loan and not touching the staring 11/bench so I've only Slightly improved the team, looks like a lot of guesswork will be required until/if i move to a club where I can afford better scouts.

Anyway I've been given the task of not finishing in the bottom part of the table and to reach the last 32 of what I presume is the fa cup.

Currently I've had 1st round exits in the league cup and Johnstons paint to morecambe and gillingham respectively and sitting 4th on 12 points from 6 games, 4 wins 2 defeats. Bury are top with 14 points and Wycombe are bottom with 0.

Over to you.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pressed Random until I got a EPL team outwith the top six, as I do every year, and got given Southampton. Decided to play on World Class despite being shite on that level usually, just about to enter January but Ill give an update anyhow. I've struggled a bit lately but its purely because every game is a battle and I lost form, and got punished. Once I start winning again I'll be fine. Also, I'm now the Scotland manager...

Transfers

In

Sebastian Bassong - Norwich - £4.5 million

Joe Ledley - Celtic - £2.5 million

Out

A few youngsters on loan

Top Scorers

Osvaldo - 11 goals, 15 games

Lambert - 6 goals, 16 games

Lallana - 2 goals, 17 games

Ramirez - 2 goals, 17 games

Rodriguez - 1 goal, 14 games

Schneiderlin - 1 goal, 16 games

Results

West Brom (A) - Lost 2-0

Sunderland (H) - Won 1-0

Norwich (A) - Drew 1-1

West Ham (H) - Won 4-1

Liverpool (A) - Lost 4-0

West Ham (A) - Lost 2-1 - Capital One Cup

Crystal Palace (H) - Won 6-0

Swansea (H) - Lost 2-0

Manchester United (A) - Lost 2-1

Fulham (H) - Lost 3-2

Stoke (A) - Lost 2-1

Arsenal (A) - Drew 1-1

Hull City (H) - Drew 1-1

Chelsea (A) - Lost 2-1

Manchester City (H) - Drew 1-1

Newcastle (A) - Lost 4-1

Tottenham (H) - Drew 1-1

League position

16th - 14 points

Me and a housemate at uni have started a career mode as Swansea City. Difficulty is only professional but we feel it's quite suited to our level and if things became too easy, we'd raise it the following season. Our main philosophy is actually to play Swansea-esque attractive football.

First season was a success. We ended up finishing 4th in the Premier League, performing a fairly large bottle job for the title after being up and around there for a good 25-30 weeks of the season. More than happy with CL football though, as not only does it mean we'll be playing in it, it means we can keep it on professional, as we found Europe quite tough. On Europe, board expectations were that we would win the Europa. We got put out 5-0 on aggregate in the Quarter Finals, Dortmund handing out an absolute punishment. There was some cup success though, we won the Carling Cup, though we were embarrassed in the FA Cup, being taken to a replay by MK Dons who then proceeded to put us out at their place.

In season one we signed the likes of Luke Shaw, Mohamed Diame and Ron Vlaar. All were decent signings, but Vlaar was the stand out, solid as f**k at centre back with Ashley Williams. Leon Britton and Leroy Lita were amongst those who went through the exit door.

We also took charge of Ivory Coast towards the end of the season. Unfortunately, by the time the World Cup game, the majority of their side had decreased massively - Drogba was even down to 72. We ended up winless in the group stage, pumped 2-0 off Poland, 3-1 off Germany and 2-0 off USA.

Season 2:

This time out we had a £20m budget. Bolstered by the sales of the largely ineffective Michu (£5m) and the fairly impressive but frustrating Wilfried Bony (£21m!). Also out was Neil Taylor for I think just a million. We first identified some areas that needed improvement. Nathan Dyer and Luke Shaw both came on massively in their first season, and so their positions were safe. With Bony gone, he needed replacing. We managed to get Lukaku in for just £6m, top replacement at a great price. Shane Long also signed on to provide some much needed depth, with the loans of Alvaro, De Guzman and Lamah all expiring from the previous season.

Also coming in for £12m was Kyle Walker. Angel Rangel had been excellent, however at 32 he's getting on so we replaced him with Walker after being impressed with him while he played for Spurs against us.

Despite Michu's ineffectiveness, we didn't have much faith in Shelvey to make the difference (think he's probably better just in centre midfield anyway). We managed to raid Chelsea again and sign Marko Marin for £7m. With De Guzman gone too, we replaced him, going to Chelsea again, this time signing Ramires for just £9m.

Our final signing was Loic Remy from QPR for £10m. He currently occupies the left wing spot ahead of Pablo Hernandez, utilising his pace and allowing Hernandez to be star player for the 'Reserve' side we often play to avoid fatigue.

The board expect us to reach the quarter finals of the Champions League, last 16 of a cup and qualify for Champions League football again. We've made a good start in the league, winning 6 and losing 1 of our first 7, as well as beating Manchester City in the league cup. After qualifying for the group stages, we were handed Real Madrid, PSV and Schalke - tough group. So far we have a draw at Bernabau before being beat off Schalke, so things don't look too good on that front. Following the Schalke defeat however, England approached us and we've took the job.

Starting XI:

Vorm

Walker Vlaar Williams Shaw

Canas Ramires

Marin

Dyer ------------ Remy

Lukaku

Rotation XI:

Tremmel

Rangel Amat Chico Davies

Pozuelo Diame

Shelvey

Hernandez -------- Routledge

Long

A horrific run of form where I struggled to score saw me sink down the table, I've won my last two games (one of them in the FA cup 1st round vs newport) so hopefully I've turned the corner. Currently sitting in 11th with 23 points after 16 games 4 points off the play offs.

Wycombe are still bottom with 7 points and bury still top the league with 36.

Beattie has returned but I've lost a couple of other players to injury so haven't really gained much. His last minute screamer did put me through in the cup tho.

Anyone bother with press conferences , I've ignored them in previous versions and have done so far, do they help?

I use them to unnerve the other team or praise my team. Helps me a bit if I'm having a bad spell

Got knocked out in the 2nd round of the FA cup so the board will likely moan about that come the end of the season.

In the league I was beginning to accept a lower top-half finish until I went on a brilliant run of form (something like 12 games undefeated) that saw me nudge into the play-off spots, since lost that position as there was no way I could keep that form up but I'm part of a group of 5 clubs going for the last couple of spots. Entering the last 5 games I'm 8th on 68 points. Scunthorpe and Northampton currently hold 6th and 7th also on 68 and chesterfield and Cheltenham are sitting just behind me on 67 and 66 respectively, my gd is the worst of the group of teams but a big win could quickly change that.

It's going to be an exciting finish for sure.

Was enjoying reading PFL updates so decided to start one for myself. Randomly selected a league 2 team(Plymouth). The plan is to move up the divisions and eventually reach the Premier League or get given a move to a bigger club.

The board have given me the task of challenging for promotion this season and I've had a look at the squad and it definitely seems achievable.

Not been very active in the transfer window due to limited funds but managed to sign a real coup in Dorin Goian as well as the Twardzik twins on loan from Celtic and Zaine Francis Angol on loan from Motherwell. Tried to sign Chris Killen as back up but the budget wasn't there :lol:

Pre-season was pretty poor losing two (Atlas and Quindo) and drawing one (Troyes) however they were all simmed so cant really complain. I will be playing all the league and cup games.

Got a game v Southend to start off. Will do an update after 10 or so games.

Ok I haven't played in the last few days but essentially I made the play-offs but got knocked out in the semis tho I was leading after the 1st leg, despite that I considered myself a success and looked for an another job. I moved to Chile to a team looking to reach the play-off finals (the system over there is a little mental and they use play offs to decide the champions, you only need to finish top 8 to qualify, they also have 2 championships a year each championship is only 1 round of fixtures) anyway it looks like I've made abit of a sideways step but it is a slight level up(iirc Accrington were 1/2 star when I joined and 1.5 stars when I left, my new team is 2.5 stars.) I'm currently 6th or 7th and I'm just learning how to use my new team. I would hope to be performing better but I will hopefully finish the winter championship in the top 3 or 4 and look to do well in the play-offs. I'll give a more detailed update once I'm back playing.

Ok so I failed to make the play-offs which unsurprising had left the fans a little pissed. Got a "vote of confidence" from the board so everything is fine ...

Feeling the pressure I looked for another job but anybody worth moving to told me to GTF. However for some reason Peru have seen my potential and I'm now an international manager as well.

Started the new league campaign(apertura) without doing anything to my squad bar bringing in a decent reserve keeper, the board sprung a striker on me and he seems like he will be a good addition however my strikers were in good form anyway so he will need wait his chance. I messed around with the tactics abit to make the side less ridged and to make more runs as I was regularly frustrated to not see any options for a pass other than a simple sideways ball.

After 7 games i'm undefeated however I'm only 8th as 5 of those have been draws! Feeling reasonably confident I'm going to start winning more often soon enough tho.

Started a game with Newport County, had shedloads of coins to purcahse stuff from catalog so I bought a level 39 financial takeover. I have used the money to buy the best scouts/youth scouts and a bunch of youngsters. Signed about 10 players with my most high profile being Ben Amos, the rest are rated between 59-64 which is in line with the overalls for all the players in other squads and I have only went from 1 star to 2 star.

Playing on World Class difficulty and won my opening game 3-0 vs Oxford and Carling Cup game 3-2 vs Leeds. Originally I was going to trade in FIFA but it is actually grown on me a bit.

I, too, have started a career with Accrington on world class mode. Got a couple of loan deals in with Januzaj coming in from Man Utd and Daniel Johnson from Villa. Both are rated 62 in the game so should see some decent improvement from both over the season.

Negotiated the friendlies with a couple of draws and a slim defeat against Roda. Got an absolute rattling from Pompey in the 1st league game, though. A crushing 6-1 defeat was not what I had in mind!!

I failed to reach the play-offs again and I'm shocked I've not been sacked! I sold adriano who was probably my star player for 4m and had maybe 4-5 guys on pre-contracts join the club, so I haven't really spent that money, I'll probably end up spending it on scouts. The board went behind my back again and signed a Center half but he looks fairly decent so again I don't mind.

Started the clausura season a lot better and I am sitting 3rd after 10 games 3 points off top. Hopefully I repay the boards faith.

Internationally I played the copa america(or whatever the game calls it) and got knocked out in the group stage. I lost all 3 games but they were all close and I gave Argentina a real scare leading with 2 mins to go so it wasn't too bad but obviously I'd rather have done better.

I, too, have started a career with Accrington on world class mode. Got a couple of loan deals in with Januzaj coming in from Man Utd and Daniel Johnson from Villa. Both are rated 62 in the game so should see some decent improvement from both over the season.

Negotiated the friendlies with a couple of draws and a slim defeat against Roda. Got an absolute rattling from Pompey in the 1st league game, though. A crushing 6-1 defeat was not what I had in mind!!

Managed to get him and Frimpong on loan last night, however what is annoying about career mode is when scouting a player it will never tell you their overall, I can see where FIFA are coming from with this but you could at least show their overall after scouting them a few times.

Another bug bear is that It is also slow as anything when in team management and trying to scroll up and down your players compared to FIFA 13.

Currently playing as QPR, going into my first season back in the Premier League, having won the Championship at a canter and also winning the FA Cup. (Spending most of my budget recalling Remy and Taarabt from their loans).

Lineup is currently;

Julio Cesar

Simpson Dunne Onuoha Ehmer

Barton Diakite

Park

Hoilett Remy Taarabt

£9M to bolster my squad for the Premier League, a permanent deal for Assou-Ekotto and a centre half high on the agenda.

Edit; Signed Assou-Ekotto, although £4M was probably quite steep. Johan Djourou also signed.

I failed to reach the play-offs again and I'm shocked I've not been sacked! I sold adriano who was probably my star player for 4m and had maybe 4-5 guys on pre-contracts join the club, so I haven't really spent that money, I'll probably end up spending it on scouts. The board went behind my back again and signed a Center half but he looks fairly decent so again I don't mind.

Pre contract? I've never noticed this as an option. How do you do that?

Archived