Relatives who have junior football....do you have any.

RobRoyGuy

Was doing a wee bit of digging into my family tree and found a couple of relatives who played junior football pre war.

My dad didn't and my grandfathers only ever played with good amateur teams.

Have you got any relatives who have played junior football over the years , brother , dad, uncle , great uncle , cousin , grandfather , great grandfather.

My sister played with quite a few Ayrshire teams in the 70s. One or two issues arose, but we don't speak about them now :shutup

My dads cousin billy thomson played for cambuslang rangers had a spell with hamilton and sheffield wednesday scored in the 1961 scottish final v dundar at hampden which rangers lost to much shock as they were heavy favourites

Think my grandfather's brother might have because I can remember hearing a story about how he was a scout for "The Rangers" (as my grandfather always used to say long before Sevco Scotland arrived on the scene) in West Lothian at one point, so I suspect he would probably have played the game to a decent standard at some level before his recommendations would be taken seriously. He died quite young in a tragic way, so not a lot was ever said about him when I was a kid. Searching records to find out what that was all about (if anything) would probably be a major undertaking though given he had a surname that was extremely common in the Bo'ness area at the time and all of the generation that would remember are dead now. Have found the hard way that detailed genealogical research on Bo'ness mining families is not for the faint hearted.

My great great Granda(i think!) on my dads side won several cups(possibly including the Scottish) with Yoker, Alex Mathie. Somewhere along the line related to Alex Mathie who played for Celtic, Morton, Ipswich and several others.

"your uncle played for bathgate and bo'nes yet the amount of abuse you must have gave me for doing that is unreal!!..ya 2 faced git yae htg:lol: :lol:

You're assuming he got off light!!! I was only about 10 when I mind watching him at Prestonfield and I harangued his every touch. Funnily enough he was a right back too - you're all the same!!! :lol:

• 1 year later...

Archie played for Third Lanark \Clydebank Joe was with Celtic\Clydebank\Morton Frank\ Celtic\Stan\Morton\St Johnstone\Clyde\Stevie was a great junior player for many years and is the manager at Irvine Meadow and doing very well.They were a well known family from the east end of Glasgow

My Father was very well known junior player in the late 40's- 50's.He won three international caps with St Roch's.His name was Archie Rankin his five boys all went on to play football.Joe

My younger brother was signed with Ardeer Thistle last season, played hardly any games, got involved in an unfortunate incident with the old lady who serves the tea and was quickly dropped and released.

Rooney_1711416a.jpg

Hahaha. Superb. Still laughing at that one.

My old man was offered terms with Charlton Athletic & Tranmere Rovers on leaving the RAF after the 2nd War, he played with a few lads in the squadron football team that were senior prior to being called up, they had alerted those sides back home.

He had been overseas for years however being seconded to the Indian Air Force then serving in Burma at its worst, at the wars end he just wanted to come home and recuperate, never kicked a ball for years.

By the time he was ready to pick up the mantle he was into his late 20`s eventually signing for Jeanfield in the Perthshire league who were a decent Junior outfit at the time so travelled up from Fife on the bus for match days whilst training at home. He managed Dunfermline Ath U-18`s side who used to play at the Humbug Park in Crossgates whilst Jock Stein was in charge of the first team. Mr Stein saw to it that we had a phone installed at home which was a big thing at the time, nae (wi-fi) in thay days. Dad sent quite a few first team regulars onto the Pars, Jim Leishman being one Alex Edwards may have been another though no sure if Dad mentioned him in a different light?

He also managed some great boys club sides in Fife, Churchmount (before my time) & Lochgelly Burgh before going on to take up a secretarial role at H.O.B Swifts who were a top boys club in the 80`s working alongside local legend Tam Kay. In his latter years he landed the kit - mans job at Cowdenbeath FC when Craig Levein was manager.

Dad was into his early 80`s by the time he was coerced into calling a halt to his fitba days Craig coming along to the house himself, though he had to sit for 2 hrs before we could persuade the old man to hand the keys back lol.