Buying a Chinese phone....

wunfellaff

I'd be a bit wary of getting a Chinese phone now with Trumpy's goings on. Google have said they'll have to stop allowing their apps on Huawei phones, could spread to other brands.
Just download Aptoide or Mister-Droid. Get all the apps on their stores.

1 minute ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:
55 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
I'd be a bit wary of getting a Chinese phone now with Trumpy's goings on. Google have said they'll have to stop allowing their apps on Huawei phones, could spread to other brands.

Just download Aptoide or Mister-Droid. Get all the apps on their stores.

Including Gmail and Google maps etc?

• 2 weeks later...

My Elephone S8 seems to be on the road out. Using it last night and it just cut out like it had crashed. Long pressed the on/off button to reboot it, but I only got to the white reboot screen with the Elephone emblem and after about 5 secs it keeps crashing. Eventually got back to the home screen this afternoon after letting the battery run down and plugging the charger in and long pressing the power button, but after a few mins of use it cut out again and going back to the reboot screen and flashing on and off constantly.

Tempted to order another one as I really like the S8 and want another phone with a 16:9 screen ratio which seems impossible to get now on any of the newly released phones. £120 new from Gerabest  for the red edition which IMO is a steal. Despite the S8 model being over a year old, the specs are still really good for the pricetag. Fck it, I'm going to order it.

On 31/05/2019 at 15:45, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

My Elephone S8 seems to be on the road out. Using it last night and it just cut out like it had crashed. Long pressed the on/off button to reboot it, but I only got to the white reboot screen with the Elephone emblem and after about 5 secs it keeps crashing. Eventually got back to the home screen this afternoon after letting the battery run down and plugging the charger in and long pressing the power button, but after a few mins of use it cut out again and going back to the reboot screen and flashing on and off constantly.

Tempted to order another one as I really like the S8 and want another phone with a 16:9 screen ratio which seems impossible to get now on any of the newly released phones. £120 new from Gerabest  for the red edition which IMO is a steal. Despite the S8 model being over a year old, the specs are still really good for the pricetag. Fck it, I'm going to order it.

Mine did something similar at the weekend. Was stuck in a loop of white screen with the logo then nothing over and over. Holding down buttons did nothing but it just rebooted itself a few hours later!

Mine did something similar at the weekend. Was stuck in a loop of white screen with the logo then nothing over and over. Holding down buttons did nothing but it just rebooted itself a few hours later!
Lucky if mine is lasting a few mins now before freezing then rebooting itself but keeps crashing during the process. It will eventually get back to home screen but takes ages, and then lasts a few mins again. Actually, typing this post is the longest it's went without freezing.🤞

• 2 weeks later...

Got my new Elephone S8 yesterday but the unit is faulty. 1st off, after charging it up and booting to the home screen for the 1st time,  the language was in Portugese and location on the home screen showing as Rio De Janeiro, plus it was asking me to enter an emergency pin number. :rolleyes: Managed to bypass that by somehow working out how to do a hard reset and changing it to English but it keeps randomly rebooting itself when in use. Now Im stuck on the reboot screen with the Elephone logo.  Aghhhh! I reckon this unit has been returned to Gearbest before. Now for the painstaking process of trying to return it to them. They are already making it as difficult as they possibly can.

Got my new Elephone S8 yesterday but the unit is faulty. 1st off, after charging it up and booting to the home screen for the 1st time,  the language was in Portugese and location on the home screen showing as Rio De Janeiro, plus it was asking me to enter an emergency pin number. :rolleyes: Managed to bypass that by somehow working out how to do a hard reset and changing it to English but it keeps randomly rebooting itself when in use. Now Im stuck on the reboot screen with the Elephone logo.  Aghhhh! I reckon this unit has been returned to Gearbest before. Now for the painstaking process of trying to return it to them. They are already making it as difficult as they possibly can.

I bought an Elephone from amazon and filled in the return page within hours of receiving it.
Dog slow, random crashing and just a big bit shit.
Some Chinese phones are hit and miss. My BlooBoo Maya was decent for a year then dragged.
This Huawei P20 is the dogs bollocks tho and if the next one's come without Google, FB stuff then I'll be delighted

23 minutes ago, scoobles said:

I bought an Elephone from amazon and filled in the return page within hours of receiving it.
Dog slow, random crashing and just a big bit shit.
Some Chinese phones are hit and miss. My BlooBoo Maya was decent for a year then dragged.
This Huawei P20 is the dogs bollocks tho and if the next one's come without Google, FB stuff then I'll be delighted

I suppose you get what you pay for. This was my 2nd Elephone S8 from Gearbest with my 1st one lasting over a year and a half and I loved it. Defo an upgrade on the Maya Max that I had before it  with a more poweful and faster chip and better screen, that's why I chose to order another one, plus there's not many 16/9 screen phones about these days which is what I was after. Maybe Elephone have poor quality control as they're a fairly small Chinese firm and I've just been unlucky with this latest one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone own a Xiaomi Note 7 or Note 7 Pro? Just looking for opinions from people who own either. After the disappointment of being sent a faulty Elephone S8 , I'm now toying with going for the Note 7 or the Xiaomi Note 7 Pro, more likely opt for the latter. The Note 7's on sale just now for £127 but with the Pro now launched with the newer 675 Snapdragon chip, 6GB RAM plus128GB ROM, that's on sale for £175. Choices,...choices!  🤔

Does anyone own a Xiaomi Note 7 or Note 7 Pro? Just looking for opinions from people who own either. After the disappointment of being sent a faulty Elephone S8 , I'm now toying with going for the Note 7 or the Xiaomi Note 7 Pro, more likely opt for the latter. The Note 7's on sale just now for £127 but with the Pro now launched with the newer 675 Snapdragon chip, 6GB RAM plus128GB ROM, that's on sale for £175. Choices,...choices!  [emoji848]
I've got the Note 7 and it's fantastic. I upgraded from the Redmi 4X which I had for almost 2 years and had been equally as good, but was starting to slow down a bit.

The bigger screen takes a bit of getting used to if you haven't had one as big before. But the dewdrop notch is fairly unobtrusive and it's fast, comes in great colours (although the supplied cover isn't the best so I've bought a new one) and the camera is decent.

Speaking of the camera - I've downloaded GCam which is meant to be good, but I'm not a huge photographer so I haven't really played about with it too much.

You won't regret getting one.

Apparently the camera is better on the Pro version because of the Sony sensor but iirc it wasn't going to be compatible with the band for 02. Either way I'm really happy with it.

9 minutes ago, energyzone said:

I've got the Note 7 and it's fantastic. I upgraded from the Redmi 4X which I had for almost 2 years and had been equally as good, but was starting to slow down a bit.

The bigger screen takes a bit of getting used to if you haven't had one as big before. But the dewdrop notch is fairly unobtrusive and it's fast, comes in great colours (although the supplied cover isn't the best so I've bought a new one) and the camera is decent.

Speaking of the camera - I've downloaded GCam which is meant to be good, but I'm not a huge photographer so I haven't really played about with it too much.

You won't regret getting one.

Apparently the camera is better on the Pro version because of the Sony sensor but iirc it wasn't going to be compatible with the band for 02. Either way I'm really happy with it.

Thanks mate. I've already ordered the 7 Pro 6GB 128 GB version for £170 in blue, so just playing the waiting game now.  I'm used to the big screens as my last two displays on the BluBoo Maya Max and Elephone S8 were 6'.  Is GCam the Google camera app as I'd read it's meant to work better than the built in camera software used with the phone?

Thanks mate. I've already ordered the 7 Pro 6GB 128 GB version for £170 in blue, so just playing the waiting game now.  I'm used to the big screens as my last two displays on the BluBoo Maya Max and Elephone S8 were 6'.  Is GCam the Google camera app as I'd read it's meant to work better than the built in camera software used with the phone?
Yeah that's the one. I can't remember where I downloaded it from. It does seem a bit sharper in terms of image quality but as I say, I've not played about with it enough to really tell you 100% it's better.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone looking for a gaming smartphone? This one could take it to the next level, the Asus ROG phone 2, 12GB RAM, 512GB storage, 855 snapdragon plus that the CPU can clock 2.96 Ghz. It comes with 6.59" Amoled display, with a refresh rate of 120Hz and supports 10 bit HDR, and a 6000mAh battery with quick charge 4 and a 30w charger. It's on release in China just now for round about £700 and a European/Uk model expected early September for £799.

• 2 months later...

Picked up a BQ X2 Aquaris Pro a few months & I've been very happy with it. Phone is part of the android one program so it's stock android ui & zero pre-installed bloat. Only downside is the lineageos port that's being worked on hasn't surfaced yet & there seems to be some developer friction (Every BQ phone thus far has had a lineageos port).