Buying a Chinese phone....

wunfellaff

Just now, Njord said:

Re the Max & Super , from a few posts above 

" the UMI Max is basically the same phone bar it doesn't have the fast charger (yet has the fast charge technology, so you'd  need to buy a correct charger). Don't know what the price difference is but a charger is @ a tenner on eBay."

On the Super you can choose either home button or virtual, unsure as to others...

Cheers. Found a few differences between the max and the super/plus. Still struggling to find much between those two though

As you'll see, things have moved on :lol:

22 minutes ago, Njord said:

You could have had one by now.....

:D

:P

But then I would have rushed into it.

Im veering towards the Bluboo. Has decent reviews, nice big screen and, while the specs are a little lower than the Umis, they are still better than the Note 4. Plus, its the cheapest at just over £100.

Whats the custom charge likely to be on a £100 phone? Cant be that much

Just an aside X , the one thing (ram , ROM , screen differences aside) that would still veer me to the Umi, is the fast charge.

4000mah battery on a 5.5' screen seems to last similar to a 3000 for a 5'.

Going to a 6' without removable battery and no fast charge would give me concern in my situation (no electricity available during the working day).

Both mediatek so you'd prolly need to do the volume trick.

Wouldn't be put off by the brands, quite happily have them.

Good luck :)

37 minutes ago, Njord said:

Just an aside X , the one thing (ram , ROM , screen differences aside) that would still veer me to the Umi, is the fast charge.

4000mah battery on a 5.5' screen seems to last similar to a 3000 for a 5'.

Going to a 6' without removable battery and no fast charge would give me concern in my situation (no electricity available during the working day).

Both mediatek so you'd prolly need to do the volume trick.

Wouldn't be put off by the brands, quite happily have them.

Good luck :)

The Bluboo - in fact both I think - has fast charge, according to the website

clicky

Plus its a 4200 battery, which is bigger than anything else Ive seen. One of the reviews I read said they seriously struggled to drain the battery in a day! Looks like its the same battery as the Umi Plus, just a little bigger

10 minutes ago, Mr X said:

The Bluboo - in fact both I think - has fast charge, according to the website

clicky

Plus its a 4200 battery, which is bigger than anything else Ive seen. One of the reviews I read said they seriously struggled to drain the battery in a day! Looks like its the same battery as the Umi Plus, just a little bigger

Aye, worded that poorly.

It will easily last a working day, but I download like a bugger during work, so I used to swap the battery to watch at night. Now I don't have that option, a quick charge to take it to 70/80% in half an hour whilst the tea cooks is a boon.

Back home so your link would take an hour to load on 2g, just make sure it comes with the charger (check their forums....).

53 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I've done it! Ordered the Bluboo Maya Max. £109 for the phone + £17 for delivery and £2 something for insurance, About £130 all together

My HTC packed in a couple of days ago. Dropped it for the umpteenth time and cracked the screen which was bad enough but now it won't charge. Tried different chargers but still no luck. I have been swaying between ordering the Xiaomi 3 or 4 Note but you have thrown me a huge curveball. This Bluboo Maya Max looks like some piece of kit for the money. The only thing that I'm confused about is if it's compatable with the 3 Network whom I'm using just now. Looked at the local network listings for the device's compatibility below but I don't see them listed. Any ideas? :unsure: http://maps.mobileworldlive.com/

1 hour ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

My HTC packed in a couple of days ago. Dropped it for the umpteenth time and cracked the screen which was bad enough but now it won't charge. Tried different chargers but still no luck. I have been swaying between ordering the Xiaomi 3 or 4 Note but you have thrown me a huge curveball. This Bluboo Maya Max looks like some piece of kit for the money. The only thing that I'm confused about is if it's compatable with the 3 Network whom I'm using just now. Looked at the local network listings for the device's compatibility below but I don't see them listed. Any ideas? :unsure: http://maps.mobileworldlive.com/

Sorry! I almost dithered at the last minute when I saw the Xiaomi Note 4, but decided to go for the bigger screen over the faster CPU

I was checking the bands on this site 

http://www.4g.co.uk/4g-frequencies-uk-need-know/

The Maya Max has these bands

(2100)/B3(1800)/B7(2600)/B20(800)

So, if Im reading that right, its ok on everything. It doesnt have the 900 range but it looks like all the networks that use that also use alternatives. 3 only use 2100, 800 and 1800 so the Max should be fine.

ETA - it does have 900, it was listed under GSM rather than LTE

Edited by Mr X

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

Sorry! I almost dithered at the last minute when I saw the Xiaomi Note 4, but decided to go for the bigger screen over the faster CPU

So, if Im reading that right, its ok on everything. It doesnt have the 900 range but it looks like all the networks that use that also use alternatives. 3 only use 2100, 800 and 1800 so the Max should be fine.

Yeah, I just checked with a 3 advisor to be on the safe side and he says it'll be fine, so I've took the plunge and ordered one. Sorry to be a copy cat Mr X. :P I went for the Standard delivery option at £0.66 via British Priority Mail + insurance. (I'm a cheap skate). I've ordered a mini M8S box in the past from Gearbest using that method and I think it only took about 12 days so not too long a wait.

8 hours ago, Mr X said:

ETA - it does have 900, it was listed under GSM rather than LTE

The 900 would only come into play if roaming on EE/old Orange legacy 2g, as 3 only has 3&4g....(and 2600 4g is on their 'to do' list for major urban areas I believe -it would be verrrry short range at that high a frequency)

Edit... Confuddled at stoopid o'clock... Vodafone is 900 2g not EE.... but as i said, irrelevant for 3 network..Carry on....

Edit 2 ... Feck me, the Maya Max does Volte as well! That does look indeed like a very nice piece of kit.

*** I wasn't that bothered by no Volte on the Umi as I doubt that any network will support a non LG , Sony, Google, Apple, One plus phone for a good few years, until they get their act together.

Edited by Njord

9 hours ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Yeah, I just checked with a 3 advisor to be on the safe side and he says it'll be fine, so I've took the plunge and ordered one. Sorry to be a copy cat Mr X. :P I went for the Standard delivery option at £0.66 via British Priority Mail + insurance. (I'm a cheap skate). I've ordered a mini M8S box in the past from Gearbest using that method and I think it only took about 12 days so not too long a wait.

No problem, we can be Bluboo Buddies ... no, wait that sounds wrong :lol:

The only thing against it - which I meant to mention last night - is that it doesnt have a gyroscope. I dont think thats uncommon for a cheap chinese phone but it does seem a little out of place given the rest of the specs.

Im not really bothered but if you want to use apps that need that level of accuracy then it might be an issue. Pokemon Go seems to be the biggest one that uses it

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

No problem, we can be Bluboo Buddies ... no, wait that sounds wrong :lol:

The only thing against it - which I meant to mention last night - is that it doesnt have a gyroscope. I dont think thats uncommon for a cheap chinese phone but it does seem a little out of place given the rest of the specs.

Im not really bothered but if you want to use apps that need that level of accuracy then it might be an issue. Pokemon Go seems to be the biggest one that uses it

Is a gyroscope used for games or apps that require you to tilt the screen like some driving games do? If so I could probably live with that. As long as it doesn't stop the phone detecting when you turn the screen horizontal to watch movies.

1 minute ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Is a gyroscope used for games or apps that require you to tilt the screen like some driving games do? If so I could probably live with that. As long as it doesn't stop the phone detecting when you turn the screen horizontal to watch movies.

Not sure exactly what its for. From what I read it seems to be apps that require a more accurate orientation, like Pokemon Go or star maps where you hold the phone up. Seems to be mainly augmented reality stuff. Not sure about tilting for racing games but it definitely wont stop the phone rotating when you turn it

Just now, Mr X said:

I saw that :) Its also IP65 dust and waterproof rated :) 

Yeah,saw that in one of the reviews. Not read one bad overall review. Only negatives that I've read was one saying the GPS could be better when navigating and sometimes there's a glitch when trying to rotate the screen after long usage it sometimes doesn't work but a quick reboot fixes it.