Buying a Chinese phone....

wunfellaff

56 minutes ago, pittsburgh phil said:

So what's this all about then?

29 minutes ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Is there a fix for this or is there anything we should avoid doing?

I would read the first link and check the version number and the post on xda and the links in it. It does look pretty serious and Im pretty sure Ive been affected.

Glad everyones unaffected. Im going to keep using the Lineage OS custom rom which doesnt have the wireless updater installed, or any of the other dodgy apps

I'd also recomend installing the stock google apps from the opengapps site. The Pixel launcher is really nice

I could be wrong but I think BLU is a completely different manufacturer from BLUBOO so hopefully your phone's not been affected;

http://www.bluproducts.com/android-phones/

15 minutes ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

I could be wrong but I think BLU is a completely different manufacturer from BLUBOO so hopefully your phone's not been affected;

http://www.bluproducts.com/android-phones/

Yeah, maybe. I think the exploit was a more general one, rather than specific to BLU though. The link is there because it has instructions on what to check

On a similar note, I had a system app on my Maya Max called "SC Weather" which the antivirus didn't like. Probably worth folk disabling it to be on the safe side.

There was a thread about SC Weather on the Bluboo forums forcing pop-up ads to your phones. I'm sure they had a fix to completely remove it.