Buying a Chinese phone....

wunfellaff

On 12/13/2016 at 08:45, Mr X said:

You get a wet wipe type thing with the liquid glass on it and you wipe it on the screen, basically. It leaves a layer of "glass" on the screen which is tougher than screen protectors, scratch resistant and pretty much undetectable, meaning you dont loose any screen brightness or touch sensitivity

https://www.crystalusion.com/en/liquid-glass-screen-protectors/

Had to ditch my screen protector last night as once again I dropped my phone on concrete. The protector has been damaged slightly so reckon it's done it's job and saved my screen, so I now need to either order a new protector or try liquid glass. Does the liquid glass layer definitely not get scratched if you drop it. I'm worried that it does then I'm stuck with a permanently damaged layer covering my screen. If it does I'd rather stick with the replaceable protectors.

1 hour ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Had to ditch my screen protector last night as once again I dropped my phone on concrete. The protector has been damaged slightly so reckon it's done it's job and saved my screen, so I now need to either order a new protector or try liquid glass. Does the liquid glass layer definitely not get scratched if you drop it. I'm worried that it does then I'm stuck with a permanently damaged layer covering my screen. If it does I'd rather stick with the replaceable protectors.

I've never had any scratches using it, but then I dont think Ive ever actually dropped it badly on the screen.

If it did get scratched you could just apply some more and it would fill in any scratches

Said already I'd smacked my Umi  and cracked the screen. Did it worse yesterday in a Hoolie :(

So, £20 in fuel to snekie and £50 piece of shit...

Or...

Umi Z preorder in 4 days, $60 off making it $220,  less the seventy bucks on a piece of shit...

Hmmm.... 6 gigs of RAM....

Might need to get this glass stuff tho...

Right, didn't go for the Z but went for the Plus (might get updates longer than Super) but basically the same phone as what I have.

Flash Sale for it on gearbest, basic shipping to try and avoid Customs.

All in, one hundred and forty of her Majesty's poons.

Lol, no brainer these sort of things, brilliant value.

Found a major bug on my Maya Max. Don't know if it's the same for others. When I try to send a long SMS text message, after a certain amount of characters it automatically switches to MMS and it won't let me change back. When it does this the MMS wont send and I get the message ;transmission failed'. I find it strange that it does this when it's a text message only without any picture or video attached.

1 minute ago, pittsburgh phil said:

From my time working in mobile phone customer care a few years ago (as far as I remember) if the number of characters in an SMS equals 3 standard text messages it will automatically convert into MMS.

Don't think I've witnessed this with any of my previous phones, or at least that I know of. It wouldn't bother me though if the MMS would send successfully.

On some phones it was to do with MMS settings, maybe something in the menu? Or sometimes sending an MMS to yourself would set it up on the product.

Had a look in the MMS settings menu, only really options for delivery reports, size limit which is set to highest and auto retrieve messages which is selected. I'm receiving MMS ok, just not sending.

Phones here. Anyone who, like me, who has surfed this thread for months without committing to buying should just go for it. Will post more when I have time later, but I have went for the lowest spec Umi (90 shniflets delivered) and it's miles better than my old HTC that cost me a fortune. Hope it lasts.

Has anyone bought the Xiaomi Redmi 4 Pro? It looks very decent but apparently it won't work with O2 or giffgaff over here, which would mean I'd have to change networks.

Further enquires reveal its only 4G that won't work with this phone and O2 - 3G is fine.

My next question, having never had a 4G phone - is there much difference between 3G and 4G? I'm not a huge downloader and only really use the internet for browsing/social media and a bit of YouTube occasionally.